Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2012, 04:35 AM   #1
Puck_Nutz

Dirty Water Supply

So we took our new 303tg Laredo out to Fishermen's State Park in Rhode Island for a shakedown trip and everything went well with the camper itself, but we had some issues with the water supply. On arrival, I hooked up a new inline charcoal filter at the water supply ran water through it and then attached my hose. We ran some water into the camper and it started to come out black. We disconnected the filter and the water running out was just nasty. So we took it off and put it aside to bring back and have replaced.

On packup day, we woke up to no water supply at all, the CG had shut if down overnight. I saw one of the maintenance guys and he told me it would be restored shortly, and it was. Well while DW was doing the breakfast dishes, all of a sudden, spewed forth a mess of brown muddy water from the supply. We shut off the CG supply and switched to our fresh water tank for the rest of the visit.

When we got home, I pulled the plug for the hot water and flushed out the tank 3 times, then put 1/2 cup of bleach through out entire city water system and flushed it out in the yard.

We seem to have clear fresh water coming through all of the lines now, including outside kitchen, outside shower and all internal fixtures.

Anything I might have missed?
Former Trailer - 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS
Puck_Nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:44 AM   #2
SteveC7010

Open the low point drains and let the water run some more. They may have some residual of the bad stuff.

FWIW, charcoal filters will run black for a few gallons. After changing the cartridge, for inline filters, run the water until clear **before** connecting to the trailer.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:54 AM   #3
Puck_Nutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
Open the low point drains and let the water run some more. They may have some residual of the bad stuff.

FWIW, charcoal filters will run black for a few gallons. After changing the cartridge, for inline filters, run the water until clear **before** connecting to the trailer.
Thanks Steve. I will open up those drains and run it some more. And thanks for the tip on the filter, I will run some more water through it and see if I can get it to clear up before we go to the store to replace it.
Former Trailer - 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS
Puck_Nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck_Nutz View Post
Thanks Steve. I will open up those drains and run it some more. And thanks for the tip on the filter, I will run some more water through it and see if I can get it to clear up before we go to the store to replace it.
Also, double check the charcoal cartridge. Some of them have an IN and and OUT label or markings. If they do, they are one-way. Install them backwards, and you just pump out all the charcoal into your water system.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
SAABDOCTOR

all that being said it also sound like some bad mojo came throught from the cg water supply. i think i might get some water tank sanitizer and run theat through just tomake sure. but steve is right about some filters being directional
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote