Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #21
jdoug

I'm thinking the Boliy (never heard of 'em until here!) with a remote starter is just the ticket for me. I can be sitting in the comfort of my easy chair, the wind a blowing, the rain a falling and just hit the button! Actually, being in a wheelchair makes the stairs not so much fun so any help I can get from technology I'm all over.

Thanks for the info!

Doug
jdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #22
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlee56 View Post
...I think I agree as much as I would like to go press a button in my closet to turn on the generator, the fume thing has me concerned....
My last camper (5th wheel Toy Hauler) had a built in Onan 5500. I really miss it. A properly installed and maintained unit will have no fumes.

Not loading and unloading.... Not having to refill the small gas tank.... Having a push-button control right there at the staircase SURE WAS NICE!!!...

We used ours quite regularly. Even overnight!! Oh the fright!!! Blue-hairs everywhere would just faint!!!

In 2007, we had a terrible ice storm which had over 1.5 million homes without power while outside temps ranged between 7 and 22. Luckily our TH had a full fuel tank. We ran the generator for 4-5 days straight. (even while sleeping!! faint!)

When we traded for a traditional 5er, this was one of the things I dreaded - not having the built in. But the living space was more important to us than the toy space. If they had an Alpine/Avalanche with a built in genny on the lot, I would have bought it on the spot. No such luck. Could have ordered and waited... But I'm not that patient.

Right now we have a Yamaha 2800i portable. Works great for us. But some day, I'll eventually put a Onan 5500 back in the front portion of our basement again
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #23
azlee56

I need to check into those. I was trying to figure out what models there were and how you put them in, and how in blazes you do the exhaust when it sits in front of the fw. Lots to learn!
Old 12-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #24
michael

Im leaning twords the onan, lp burns cleaner and quieter thanks for the thoughts on the onan i was reading all the post hoping i would find a coment on the onan. and i like the thought of it built in , putting a portable in and out of my pickup isnt much fun, my time and my back should be used for hoisting a cold drink not a heavy generator.

2008 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4x4
V10 Engine, axle 4:10 ratio
8ft box SRW

10x10 Screen room.

Let It Happen Campin.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #25
davidjsimons

Onan is hard to beat and the service network, at least in my area , is excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #26
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjsimons View Post
Onan is hard to beat and the service network, at least in my area , is excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Can't go wrong with a Cummins product.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #27
floatflyer

I use two Honda EU2000's with a parallel kit. I bought them from Mayberry at about $900 each, and the kit is another $250. The nice thing is they are very quiet and only 45# each so manageable to move around. The Max sustained output is 1600 Watts each so they won't run two A/C units, but I have only one. For times to run lower consumption loads I can get by with just one unit at much lower fuel use. I also have a 6 gallon aux fuel tank that feeds both units, giving me a longer use time without having to refill the one gallon generator tanks. Just FYI.

Something else about the Honda is the eco-throttle. You can activate it and the engine and generator will be load responsive, so running at lower output (and less fuel) if the electrical load is lower than the full load output. No, I'm not a salesman. I just appreciate a good product and value.
floatflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:35 AM   #28
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatflyer View Post
I use two Honda EU2000's with a parallel kit. I bought them from Mayberry at about $900 each, and the kit is another $250. The nice thing is they are very quiet and only 45# each so manageable to move around. The Max sustained output is 1600 Watts each so they won't run two A/C units, but I have only one. For times to run lower consumption loads I can get by with just one unit at much lower fuel use. I also have a 6 gallon aux fuel tank that feeds both units, giving me a longer use time without having to refill the one gallon generator tanks. Just FYI.

Something else about the Honda is the eco-throttle. You can activate it and the engine and generator will be load responsive, so running at lower output (and less fuel) if the electrical load is lower than the full load output. No, I'm not a salesman. I just appreciate a good product and value.
I find it very hard to believe you can run and A/C on 1600 watts.

Not trying to be contrary. But that simply doesn't make sense.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:22 AM   #29
jbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
I find it very hard to believe you can run and A/C on 1600 watts.
They're using a parallel kit with two generators to double the output to 30 amps and up to 4000 Watts.

I've considered doing the same. Carrying the 2000 has to be easier than trying to hoist the 3000 into my truck. The combined noise of two 2000's which individually are already louder than a 3000, is my only concern...plus I already own a 3000.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L DRW
B&W Companion
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #30
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
They're using a parallel kit with two generators to double the output to 30 amps and up to 4000 Watts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I missed the each part. 3200 is good. My bad!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #31
gduff

We also have the Honda 2000i which works great. I did not want to struggle with moving a generator that was over 100#. We obviously cannot run the AC with it, but can do most everything else plus keep the battery charged when boon docking. Probably will invest in the parallel kit and the second unit when we go full time.
Firestone Air Bags
Pullrite Superglide
gduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:23 AM   #32
Scottinvt

I'm looking Ito the fairly new Yamaha 2400, spoke to my local dealer and it will run our 1 a/c unit no problem.
Scottinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottinvt View Post
I'm looking Ito the fairly new Yamaha 2400, spoke to my local dealer and it will run our 1 a/c unit no problem.

Scott,

The Dometic website recommends a minimum of 3500 watts to run a 13,500BTU A/C. While some may believe this is "overkill", generators are designed and constructed with varnish on the copper windings in the armature. This varnish will melt and reduce the insulation on the windings as the generator heats up from being loaded (used to power electrical items). The engineering design calls for a specific heat tolerance in the windings. Overloading the generator will increase the heat, destroy parts of the varnish insulation and short out segments of the armature winding. Once this happens, that part of the winding will no longer function (it is shorted out) and the remaining parts of the winding must carry the load. Over time, the varnish degrades repeatedly in generators that are consistently overloaded and further destroys the armature.

While a 2400 watt generator will "usually" power an A/C, using it for that task repeatedly will destroy the generator over time. How much time depends on many factors, not just electrical load.

A typical 13.5K A/C draws 12 amps for the compressor and 2.5 amps for the fan motor. Thats about 14.5 amps for the A/C total. At 120 VAC, that's 1740 watts to run (starting has a larger power requirement). So, the generator has the "wattage" to run the A/C, however, when you plug in your RV, you also power the converter, any 12 volt systems that may be running as well as additional 120 volt systems. The "usual" amperage requirement for most travel trailers when initially plugged into shore power is around 5 to 10 amps. That's a wattage draw at 120 VAC of 575 - 1150 watts. When added to the 1740 watts the A/C draws, the actual power requirement of the RV will be much closer to 2300-2500 watts. So, you will be over the regulated "run load" of the Yamaha 2400 watt generator (2000 watt continuous output over 20 minutes).

Will the Yamaha 2400 generator "run" a 13.5K A/C? Yes it will, with 300 watts to spare under normal conditions.

BUT: when the A/C is installed on an RV with other electrical loads considered, the 2400 watt generator will be running above its maximum continuous wattage nearly all the time it is in use. I'd urge you to reconsider. $1500 is a big investment to make when you are buying the absolute minimum power requirement you'll need. You probably should consider a bigger generator or a "dual stack" generator system so you have the reserve power to run your A/C without overloading your generator.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote