Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
azlee56

your honest opinion on generators

I have to replace the dadgum generator and I have read until I am getting confused. I know the honda generators are the cadillac of generators and the must get (yes the bf wants two of them). What is comparable though? I was looking at the champion 7500/9500. The weight of course is totally different then 2 2000 or 2000 and 3000. (He has 5000 in his mind). The hondas are rated at 45db and the champion is 68db.

We dry camp a lot and like to watch TV, we would do it in the summer too but it is hot down here. BF is getting a bit a money though and it is burning his palm. LOL

Also, someone on here rigged up a gravity fuel system that I just read but never explained how to rig it up that I saw.

Help!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
f6bits

If that’s the Champion I’m thinking of, it’s:
A) Not a clean sine wave generator (important for many electrical appliances, like computers and some TVs)
B) Not inverter (needs to be running full speed all the time)

How many air conditioners do you have? If it’s just one, then the Honda 4500 would be an excellent choice. But it’s a lot more expensive than the Champion. That Champion is just going to be way too loud to run constantly for your A/C.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
azlee56

We have two ACs and when we went out to a park, I did have to run both of them to keep the place cool. THANK you for pointing out about it not being good with computers and more so appliances!!!! Like I said the more I have read it gets jumbled. I also read on one post here that someone tried a different type of generator and had problems with fuses and all that.

The bf wants to be able to pigtail if we need more, but run single for charging the battery and watching the tv. I told him that to me it seemed like my friends with big trucks that out do each other with running lights! HA. That being said, I don't want to spend big bucks if there is another option.

Thanks for answering. I really am banging my head on the wall here.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:36 AM   #4
azlee56

I must admit, I do like the electric start. He asked me to get some ideas and what about onboard and I said, those are like 4,000.00!!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
azlee56

oh and it is the generator at camping world I am using for him to read.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
f6bits

Two A/Cs are *very* demanding, so be prepared to shell out a bunch of money. $4,000 sounds about right if you want to be self-sufficient. I like my Yamaha 2000. Camping World has a pretty beefy Yamaha 6500 for a bit under $4,000.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 06-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

azlee56 My ex's father in law used to saywe can mickey mouse it for now and do it right later!! wtfo! If you can swing the bucks for the honda's you are set and won't be lookin for new ones down the road. if you can afford the best then doit once do it right if not wait and save till you can. enjoy the ride
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
azlee56

can yamaha's pig tail together too? (or is it just honda's). My thinking is we need at least one AC running if we dry camp in the hot months. Tell you the truth I don't think that will happen much, we will do hookups for them. I guess I am trying to justify that much money on something we use once a month in the winter and here and there in the summer. He wants it so badly though. lol

Now in the winter, we need something to support the furnance. It gets blasted cold at night.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
azlee56

Oh Carl (the bf) will love your answer Barney. I might look at the onboard ones more too. Our Montana is hooked up with wiring for one and the stuff in the closet. I asked him about venting and such but he told me the place for the generator was vented for that purpose. Heck if I know.

About the winter and the generator. I just want it to charge the batteries good so it can go all night with the furnance on a very low degrees. Last winter in the morning the batteries died and our stolen generator was too loud to go start it so early. The other campers would have teepee'd us later.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #10
f6bits

My Yamaha can pigtail for a combined 4000. Just like the Honda 2000, though I think the second Honda needs to be a special model.

If I had the money, I’d keep my small Yamaha for when I don’t need A/C and get one big generator for full capacity.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 06-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

azlee -
I realize that by now you are probably suffering from information overload. To add to your list, I would recommend that you consider the Boliy Generators. One of the our members, jje1960, has one and by all accounts he is very pleased with it.
I went to this site (www.bottomlinetrading.com) and found that they have Boliy's on sale. This model, Pro3600si, a digital inverter is going for $1140 which includes free shipping, a free cover and electric start. It would be suitable for sensitive electronic applications. It weighs 70 lbs (less than a Honda) and the 58 db is also quieter. You can also get models that have auxiliary fuel tanks.
This generator looks like a good buy and is highly rated but lesser known than Honda.
You can also go to the Boliy website to find out more information. I think it is www.boliy.com
Hope this helps rather than confuses.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
azlee56

I hadn't ran into that one. If jje1960 doesn't mind I'll send them a private message, but on the other hand there has to be more people wanting to know this then just me.

Yes the overload is big and I am so glad it was pointed out to me the wording for the electronic stuff. I would have never have known that! Between that and reading Geo's stuff on the tanks and doing it, I have been a busy girl. (plus going to vegas for the first time ever).
Old 06-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
azlee56

btw, Carl would love for me to just leave that stuff alone, but I don't listen well. HA
Old 06-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #14
azlee56

the digital inverter is for the appliances/electronics right?
Old 06-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
jje1960

boliy

Hey there. Yes, we are very pleased with the Boliy. It's light, at 70Ibs, not sure any other can match the output to this light weight. I'm in love with the electric start, not that I can't pull a cord once or twice, however just reaching into the bed of the truck and pushing the button is cool. The Boliy sips fuel, without aircon have gone like 14hrs on the 1.9gal tank and it was still going. The auto throttle is awesome, works for everything except aircon, even with the supra capacitor the genset just won't jump quick enough to start the compressor. We had a problem (my fault) and Boliy dealer completely honored the warranty and problem was solved. I've changed the oil religiously, I've always believed this is a 'key' to longevity with small generators. We have a SuperGen Tent for elements and extra noise protection, made a simple vibration board out of 1/4" plywood, Styrofoam and ducktape, this is awesome for mounting the genset on the rear bumper of the unit, don't hear nor feel the inverter running while inside the unit. Why did I end up with Boliy? Frankly, I needed to run a 15K aircon unit and it was the only genset that I could afford that would handle the 15K and be quiet, light and not be out of our price range. We have had several generators over the years, this unit is my hands-down favorite. Just ones opinion though, there are many gensets out there to choose from. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011BOLIY.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	1466   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1234sm.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1467  
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #16
Festus2
Site Team

azlee -
The thing to look for in a generator IF you want to use it to power sensitive electronics is that it says "sine wave output"- or better yet "pure sine wave output". The fact the Boliy has both digital and sine wave features make it worth considering - and the price is right!! Unless you are really interested in sine waves, just accept the fact that a generator or inverter that has this designation is better. If you want to dig into sine waves, you can always Google it. (sine wave generators & inverters).

As pointed out by jje1960, this Boliy model is capable of running at 15K A/C.

Don't be put off by the fact that you are, for the moment, alone in asking the questions. There doesn't have to be a whole bunch of people making inquiries to make the thread/topic worthwhile. Ask.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #17
f6bits

The Boily is the one I’d get as a standalone generator that’ll power everything on my trailer at once. However, I don’t think it’s got the oomph to run two A/Cs at the same time. Ok, *maybe* it can run them, but getting them started at the same time would certainly be a challenge. With my Yamaha 2000 and a hard start capacitor on my A/C, I still can’t get the A/C to start on a mild day with no other electrical load on the generator.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 06-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #18
azlee56

thanks you all. I went and looked and read and printed out what was said here, and all on the generators. He had never heard of the Boily generator either, but he was interested in what he was reading. I deposited all the print outs in his hand and said "your decision". lol. He said "oh thanks!!" I am a stinker sometimes, but after I went to read about onboard generators my mind exploded.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #19
SAABDOCTOR

Hi just looked into theboily nice unit.. my unit is not set up for a generator. and personaly i don't want one fixed in place. i would rather have the quiet portables in the bed of my truck with a cable lock that way exhaust fumes and any noise is away from my camper. one thing my dw says is " this camper is as nice as our house and i want the services!" so thats were i stand she don't want no generator! so far i have been lucky no power failures at the camp ground only at home! ha. my other question for you is how do you sleep with all the info you have been getting? you must have major mind race
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #20
azlee56

Red face

Sleep?? HA! I organize it and then hand it over and he gets to not sleep and mull it over. After a day of work where my mind whirls it is kind of nice to concentrate on something else. I will read here and then get questions going and go look for answers, but the generator thing was deep!

Yeah, I think I agree as much as I would like to go press a button in my closet to turn on the generator, the fume thing has me concerned. I feel bad he has to go start the generator in the cold during the winter (he is a gentleman). An electric start then he wouldn't feel so bad if I went and started it.....well, if he let me touch it. lol

I do enjoy dry camping, but I have to have music and a shower here or there.