Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2012, 05:29 AM   #21
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handysam View Post
This is all good information, thanks to all who chimed in. Jim W you got a different size tire which is what I was wondering through all my extensive reading. It appears you can not get the xps tires in the same size tire that we currently have. So seeing that it's only one quarter of and inch larger at each side I would assume its ok? Your axles are probably the same as ours in size and from center to center? I don't necessarily have to have a higher rated tire, but It's my conclusion that LT tires have stronger side walls and therefore make more sense for better durability in our application.
Handysam,
The cross sectional area for the tires is 1.00 inch overall and .50 on a side sorry for the confusion. I measured the distance between the frame and tires before I made up my mine on the Michelins. There is more than enough room for them.
The axles on the 318SAB are Dexter ez-lube rated for 5,200 lbs each per the weight placard on the trailer. The ST235/80R16E's were an option in early production run of the 318SAB.The trailers were originally fitted with 15" tires. I was trying to get away from tire failures with an 11,5K 5er and made sure that the dealer ordered the 16" tires, will that didn't work. So after my tire failure and $3,000 dollar repair bill I search for new tires, I deciding on the Michelins RIBS.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #22
smiller

Quote:
The walls are much stiffer than ST tires.
Quote:
but It's my conclusion that LT tires have stronger side walls and therefore make more sense for better durability in our application..

This gets repeated a lot but every manufacturer or vendor website I've ever seen that has comments on the subject says that ST tires typically are designed to have stronger sidewalls than LT or P radials to accommodate the side-stresses common to trailer applications. Can someone point me to even a single instance of a manufacturer or vendor saying otherwise? And don't mean one of the many 'opinion' sites but one backed by a tire manufacturer.

That said, the 'stronger sidewall' comment may be true specifically with regard to the Michelin ribs because as a commercial truck tire they have an all-steel carcass. But that characteristic is far from common, in fact very rare on a non-commercial tire, LT or otherwise.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #23
antiqfreq

We bought our Fiver in Feb 2008, a leftover 2007 model. Changed tires immediately to MAXXIS and we still have same tires on it. No problems.

We traveled about 10,000 miles in 2010 and had NO problems.

Check everytime we go out for cracking sidewalls and haven't seen any yet.

We keep all four tires covered with tire covers plus our RV is under a RV port.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Ours are D rated, I believe.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #24
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post

This gets repeated a lot but every manufacturer or vendor website I've ever seen that has comments on the subject says that ST tires typically are designed to have stronger sidewalls than LT or P radials to accommodate the side-stresses common to trailer applications. Can someone point me to even a single instance of a manufacturer or vendor saying otherwise? And don't mean one of the many 'opinion' sites but one backed by a tire manufacturer.

That said, the 'stronger sidewall' comment may be true specifically with regard to the Michelin ribs because as a commercial truck tire they have an all-steel carcass. But that characteristic is far from common, in fact very rare on a non-commercial tire, LT or otherwise.
In the reference go to the resources tab and click on trailer tires 101.

http://www.carlisletire.com/

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:25 AM   #25
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
In the reference go to the resources tab and click on trailer tires 101.

http://www.carlisletire.com/
I don't understand what you mean, that doesn't refute what I said, it agrees with it and states multiple times that ST tires are designed with stiffer sidewalls than LT tires.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote