Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
Paddler

WiFi repeaters/boosters

We always seem to get the site the furtherest from the WiFi transmitters. Anyone have any positive experience with repeaters/boosters? What brand/model do you recommend?
Thanks,
Old 05-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Paddler -
A while back, Hankpage submitted a post about a portable antenna he had recently put together and I think he has tried it with good success in increasing his WiFi capability. Try a forum search, check in the Mods or Technical sections, or check back into Hankpage's posts.
Perhaps he will spot this, jump in and rescue you from having to do all this work!
Old 05-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
geo

Paddler -

Yes, Hankpage did rig up a very nice WiFi antenna/booster.

However, I wanted something on a different level than what Hankpage did. I will try to put a post together tonight or tomorrow morning on this mod. If it is possible for me to be brief (Ha!), look at WWW.WiFiRanger.com. The WiFi Ranger works as both a "bridge" and a wired/wireless router. Basically, you can tap a wired network, a wireless network, or a USB data stick (auto-failover) and set up your own private, secure wireless/wired network, and a password protected public network for those around you! Add the WiFi Boost, and you can access WiFi two miles away! If the "host" WiFi requires a user name and password, put that into the WiFi Ranger for access and even to remember! On the WiFi Ranger website, look at the bottom of the page, under "Solutions" and "RV WiFi".
Check it out. I'll try to get the Mod posted very soon.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
smiller

Various models of CradlePoint wireless routers (CTR-35, etc.) have the same type of repeater functionality (often referred to as 'WiFi as WAN.') You might take a look at them as well.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
We always seem to get the site the furtherest from the WiFi transmitters. Anyone have any positive experience with repeaters/boosters? What brand/model do you recommend?
Thanks,
Steve, The post I did about my set up is HERE. The antenna kit I used came from JefaTech. They also have kits with repeaters like geo mentioned. It all depends on what you are looking for and how deep your pockets are. geo is 100% correct in saying that the repeater is more secure. I hope this helps, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
geo

Hankpage and Smiller -

Sorry, it's just the computer/network support I presently do coming through:

There is a difference between a bridge and a repeater. A network bridge (which is a specialty function of a router) separates and links two different networks with unique IP addresses (such as the 172.16.2.xxx network and the 172.17.2.xxx network). A repeater does just that - it takes the same network and just amplifies the signal to stretch the coverage area (wired or wireless).

Smiller - Both Cradlepoint and WiFi Ranger provide the "WiFi as WAN" functionality (in other words, a bridge router combined with a network router). ( See http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/3667/63/ ) I did look at the Cradlepoint products when I was "shopping", but I could not find one that provided the same functionality as the WiFi Ranger integrated with the WiFi Boost. But Cradlepoint was less expensive! But it didn't have the powered, amplified antenna that integrated as one unit.

Hankpage, you are absolutely correct, it just depends upon what you are looking for and what you want to pay. This can be an important decision! Personally, I wanted a separate network that I could integrate several devices: two laptops, a wireless printer, an iPod, a Roku XS, and have bandwidth for the granddaughter's iPod and laptop when she visits.

If you are only connecting one computer and don't deem a private/separate network necessary, then Hankpage's setup is definitely what you want!

Paddler, my picture files are at work, so I'll post something tomorrow morning on my Mod.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 05-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
geo

"WiFi as Wan" Shootout

This is an interesting comparison of three products:

http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/3792/179/

Note: This is a dated article and a comparison of older models.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 05-31-2012, 04:54 AM   #8
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Smiller - Both Cradlepoint and WiFi Ranger provide the "WiFi as WAN" functionality (in other words, a bridge router combined with a network router). ( See http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/3667/63/ ) I did look at the Cradlepoint products when I was "shopping", but I could not find one that provided the same functionality as the WiFi Ranger integrated with the WiFi Boost. But Cradlepoint was less expensive! But it didn't have the powered, amplified antenna that integrated as one unit.
From the review in the prior post:

"The WiFi Ranger is the companies first attempt at creating a 3G/4G router that features WAW. This model is designed to be user friendly, and doesn't come with a bunch of complicated settings that only enthusiasts or networking engineers understand."

That was what I noticed and what got me looking at the CradlePoint products... I do understand (and require) the complicated settings and the CradlePoint line seems to have a lot more configurable router-related characteristics. The Ranger was too elementary for my needs and in fact seemed to be missing some very basic functionality (port forwarding, etc.), although this may have changed in subsequent firmware releases. But it all depends on your application as the Ranger seems to prioritize the range boost functionality and CradlePoint prioritizes technical functionality, and duplication of the range boost feature on the CradlePoint would entail some additional cost and complexity and not be quite as turnkey as the Ranger. As usual different users will have different needs so no model of anything is necessarily best, it always depends on the individual user's requirements.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:29 AM   #9
Johnnyfry

WiFi repeater

I use the WiFi Ranger set up and am very satisfied. We use up to 5 devices (computer, 2iPads, iPhone ) in the trailer and it allows us to use 1 connection in places where they charge for WiFi. It also picks up signals from up to a half mile away ( your mileage may vary!).

The antenna is mounted to the collapsible TV antenna so it goes up when you put the antenna up. The router is mounted centrally in the trailer near the stairs to the bedroom. It all runs on 12 volt power so it can be used anytime.

We can actually set in The truck and park in the parking lot of a place which has WiFi and get a signal.

www.wifiranger.com. They also have great customer support.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:39 AM   #10
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
From the review in the prior post:

"The WiFi Ranger is the companies first attempt at creating a 3G/4G router that features WAW. This model is designed to be user friendly, and doesn't come with a bunch of complicated settings that only enthusiasts or networking engineers understand."

That was what I noticed and what got me looking at the CradlePoint products... I do understand (and require) the complicated settings and the CradlePoint line seems to have a lot more configurable router-related characteristics. The Ranger was too elementary for my needs and in fact seemed to be missing some very basic functionality (port forwarding, etc.), although this may have changed in subsequent firmware releases. But it all depends on your application as the Ranger seems to prioritize the range boost functionality and CradlePoint prioritizes technical functionality, and duplication of the range boost feature on the CradlePoint would entail some additional cost and complexity and not be quite as turnkey as the Ranger. As usual different users will have different needs so no model of anything is necessarily best, it always depends on the individual user's requirements.
Smiller -

Thanks for the great reply! You and I seem to have the same thoughts about this subject - different users want different features and have different needs. Get what best suits you! Great answer! We already have the on again/off again Truck Wars (between the Ford Hatfields and the Dodge McCoys, primarily) and we certainly don't need to get into a Router War! There's no point.

I would fully agree that if one is conducting one's business from the road, the Cradlepoint does appear to be the best choice. In fact, one might want to step up a model or two from just the Road Warrior CTR-35. I can understand why you would want port forwarding for a secure business environment.

For me, I seem to be like the OP Paddler. I always get stuck on the edges of the RV park because of size or whatever. The WiFi signal is always just out of reach for reliable connection. Last summer (pre-WiFiRanger), we even connected to a neighboring bar/grill WiFi (rather than the campground WiFi) because it was closer and a much better signal! It seems that WiFiRanger only offers port forwarding between WiFiRanger products - Fuzion Networking. Doesn't do a general business much good, does it? Yes, from work experience, I find the WiFiRanger very simple, but very effective for what I want in camping connections. It is easy to setup and use. And the integrated WiFiBoost is great, especially on a hill with few trees! I also like the 4 hard Ethernet connections plus the two WiFi networks.

But that is what I wanted. The choice should be up to you, the RVer!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 05-31-2012, 10:38 AM   #11
Paddler

Wow, thanks for all the good information folks! I'll gather up all this information and turn it over to the my better (geek) half. Wondered why she was snickering when I read the title of the post to her...guess repeater wasn't the correct terminology..
Old 06-03-2012, 06:00 AM   #12
Paddler

Darn, I admitted my lack of knowlege too soon!! Seems "Repeater" is a very good term for improving the WiFi reception at campground hot spots. Does anyone have any experience with this system?

Hawking HAW2R1 Hi-Gain Wireless-300N Smart Repeater Pro - 300Mbps, 802.11b/g/n

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...5235&CatId=373

I looked, online at the RV Ranger but it is currently listed as an obsolete product. The Hawking's dual radio systems seem to offer a similiar solution at various price/performance levels. At this price point the unit comes with an indoor amplified directional antenna, that can be upgraded at a later date with an exterior amplified omni-directional antenna.

I am not advertising or endorsing Tiger Direct or Hawking Tech., I just including the link for comment on the system.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #13
geo

Paddler,

Did you look at the WiFi Ranger? I'm not familiar with the RV Ranger, but will look it up later. The Blue Mesh WiFi Ranger is doing well and not discontinued or obsolete.

If you have a campground, like Mikell, then you would want to use repeaters to extend the campground WiFi. If you are looking to connect to a weak WiFi, and not setup a private network, then all you need is an antenna and amplifier.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 09-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #14
Paddler

Since posting this, we have purchased the Hawking HOW2R1 Outdoor Dual Radio Repeater/Booster. The unit works very well and having the Dual Radio...solved one of the issues I was having with Tengo intranet style providers.

Tengo only allows one computer or device to use your (purchased) license at a time. By connecting to Tengo via the Hawking Dual Radio, we are able to use all of our computers, Ipods and Kindles at the same time because the Hawking is the only device Tengo sees.

The only downside to the Hawking I have discovered so far is the "first" radio (built-in) antenna is directional, I thought it was omni-directional. So instead of permanently mounting the Hawking to the trailer ladder, I had to attach the Hawking to a mast which is then attached to the trailer ladder. The mast allows me to adjust the Hawking for height and "first" radio antenna tuning direction.

The WiFi hotspot the Hawking "second" radio creates is about 500 ft. and it is omni-directional with two external (supplied with the Hawking) antennas. We were using our Ipods at the campground pool, which was about 400ft from our rig. This is our first outing with the Hawking and so far I am impressed!

Old 09-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #15
alien_scones

Pad, did you consider the wifi ranger?

Does the Hawking offer a omni-directional primary antenna?

I am shopping for a wifi repeater / booster.
alien_scones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:56 AM   #16
Paddler

Alien,
Sent you a PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #17
SkiSmuggs

After reading the evaluations at The 3G Store from the link in an earlier post, I ordered the recommended PepWave Surf Mini on sale for almost $30 less than Amazon. I won't be able to test it at a campground as the RV is covered for the winter, but I will try testing it from a remote (200') garage to see how well it works. The description of it's primary use in the review didn't sound like what I needed vs the WiFi Ranger, but the summary sold me: "If we're claiming a winner in this entry level shootout solely based on WiFi as WAN performance the clear winner is the Pepwave Surf Mini. The device is incredibly user friendly and offers flexibility for building to building applications, RVer's, frequent travelers and anybody that wants to pickup long distance WiFi!"
Good thread here!
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote