Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
locashcowboy

Unhappy tire problem

SeJust spent life savings on a 08 3612ds . Owned it for two months and on first trip we blowed two tires done damage. Mine has 15in wheels other 3612 have 16. The biggest tire rate for 15 is d. With 16 you can get e rate. Second it has 5200lb axles so you have 15600lbs total. It weights 13860 empty and if u load 2000lbs in back ur over on tires and axle with nothing else loaded. So i looked at the 2012 they have 7000lb axles 16 wheels with 3500 lb tires. Have goofed up by not going back with a jayco.
locashcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
chuck&gail

Sorry to hear of your troubles on your new toy.

What is TT GVWR? Many will be overloaded if 2000# added over UVW.

Actually Maxxis makes LR-E for 15" rims, but be careful, check your rim ratings first. Rating usually stamped on rear, or in valley UNDER the tire.

IMHO blowouts are common on Chinese tires. If it was mine, I would not buy Chinese tires, in fact I never do.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
LittleJoe

You deduct your pin weight off of your total weight on axles if unless you weighed it attached when getting your axle ratings.
If you have room you could upgrade to 16" wheels and E rated tires but will still be pushing limits on axles. It will save you some blowouts though.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Check the build date on your trailer. The 2007 SPECS show 15" D rated tires and a lower GVWR than the 2008 SPECS with 16" E rated tires and the cargo capacity you mention. You most likely have an '07 trailer sold as an '08. All of your trailers weight is not on the axles 15 to 25% can be on your TV depending on how it is loaded. 15" tires come in e ratings as mentioned but again as mentioned your rims may be the weak link here. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
locashcowboy

It was told to me that I had a 08. The gross weight is 15600 lbs. It had the factory tires date stamped 07. The first owners never pulled it. Now the tires on it are d rated 65 psi at 2460# if the add that up ur under 15600#. We weight it hooked up but trailer only on scales. To me keystone cut it real close on the weight. To close I believe un safe. I have had many horse trailers and there never close. As for e rated tires in 15 in. I have found one. Bad thing is there china made and knee to blow out. My other options is 16 witch I have seen models like mine same yr come factory with them. If I go with 16 I can get a e rated tire witch is good for 3500# this sound much safer for me and family. Axles still may be close on gvw but if the tires can handle it im not worried about them. If I go for the full package axles tires and wheels looking at 3500.00 .with chance to make some back from selling old axle and wheels. But who buys a new car or truck knowing they have to replace tires and wheels and axles. After all I have read on keystone Ik there not going to help so hoping the dealer stand behind there sell and treat me like a friend and not just a $ sign. Thank lee. 2005 gmc 3500 4by4. 2008 Raptor 3612ds custom. Two polars 200 phoenix
locashcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Lee, Check the label on the front drivers side of the trailer for the build date. If it came from the factory with 15" wheels it is an '07. According to '07 specs .... 15500 GVWR - 2870 hitch weight = 12630 ...... this should be the actual weight on your tires (rated for 14760) with a FULLY LOADED trailer. Hitch weight will vary up or down depending on how you load your trailer but you can see that tire capacity is not as close as you thought. Keystone increased the cargo capacity by 1000 lbs. for '08 thus the need for E rated tires and heavier axles. I upgraded my tires to 16" ... not because the 15" were not rated high enough but because I was not comfortable with the quality of Chinese ST tires. Again JM2¢, Hank
Old 05-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #7
BMcCutcheon

Tire Problems

I not quite sure but my Goodyear Tires might be the exception. I bought my Fifth Wheel 31KFW back in August of 2007. On my first trip from Atlanta to Dallas I was notified that the junk tires on my unit were recalled. When I got into Fort Worth, they changed out my tires with the Marathon's. Up until yesterday I never had any problems. I was pulling my unit home from a campground 50 miles from home when my left front tire separated and blew out almost at once. It destroyed the outside skirt and jacked up the metal around the front wheel well. I got almost 5 years of troublefree service from this set of tires. I have had folks tell me in the past that the tires need to be replaced every three years if they sit more than a couple of months at a time. My unit goes out now maybe 3 times per year.

Has anyone heard if Goodyear ever brought this tire line back to the US for manufacture?

Thanks,

Bill
BMcCutcheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Bill -

There has been a great deal of discussion on the forum about tires. If you went 5 years without having any tire problems, that is about all one could expect. Consider yourself fortunate.
Tires can and will deteriorate just from sitting and you can be fooled into thinking that, just because you have lots of tread showing, the tires are in great shape. The amount of tread left is not always a good indicator of tire condition.
When in storage or sitting for long periods, covering the tires is always a good practice. Proper inflation, of course, is a given and pressures should be checked regularly.
Maxxis and Michelin's seem to be two tires that have received high ratings from our members who have them.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMcCutcheon View Post
I not quite sure but my Goodyear Tires might be the exception. I bought my Fifth Wheel 31KFW back in August of 2007. On my first trip from Atlanta to Dallas I was notified that the junk tires on my unit were recalled. When I got into Fort Worth, they changed out my tires with the Marathon's. Up until yesterday I never had any problems. I was pulling my unit home from a campground 50 miles from home when my left front tire separated and blew out almost at once. It destroyed the outside skirt and jacked up the metal around the front wheel well. I got almost 5 years of troublefree service from this set of tires. I have had folks tell me in the past that the tires need to be replaced every three years if they sit more than a couple of months at a time. My unit goes out now maybe 3 times per year.

Has anyone heard if Goodyear ever brought this tire line back to the US for manufacture?

Thanks,

Bill
Some claim they have BUT I have only seen "MADE IN CHINA". .... All tires have a six year recommended replacement. Check the manufacture date stamped on your tires ..... they may have been a few years old when they were put on your trailer five years ago. Proper inflation and speed are the main things in your control for good tire life. (ST tires are only rated to 65 mph max.)
Old 05-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
CWtheMan

The TowMax STR also has 15" LRE tires and the Tire Rack has them priced right.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....TRV2&tab=Specs

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #11
BMcCutcheon

Not being one to roll the dice on tires that are already 5 years old. I ordered a new set of Maxis M8008-ST-Radial 225/75/R15, 10 Ply Load Range E tires Today. $115.00 each, out the door. Will Sleep a little better after the damage done to the wheel well has been repaired.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

Bill -
A wise move. As a bonus, you get to sleep longer and sounder! At what retailer did you purchase the tires?
Old 05-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #13
BMcCutcheon

Local Goodyear dealer where I have a good friend.

Bill
2007 Keystone Outback Sydney Edition Toy Hauler 31KFW
Firestone Air Bags
16K Drawtite Slider Fifthwheel, Superchip Max Tow
https://www.winkflash.com/photo/image...=327676264&z=0
Old 05-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
hankpage
Site Team

Bill, Good idea (and price) just be sure your rims are rated for load range E and that they change the valve stems to the proper rating also. Travel safely, Hank
Old 05-31-2012, 03:30 AM   #15
BMcCutcheon

Talking

Thanks, I'm not going to be increasing the load on my unit. Just going to the 10Ply tires to actively protect against premature sidewall failure so I should be OK with the same rims.

Also Just wanted to let you know that the Manager at the Goodyear tire store mad a call to the factory and was told that the Marathon line has been discontinued. He can no longer order them. Thats is probably good news to quite a few RV haulers. They apparently have heard the masses concerning the issues with this tire line and have taken action to remove it from their line.

The Maxis 10 Ply line are only a few dollars more than the Marathon line was. NTB quoted me $105.00 out the door and the Maxis were about $9.00 more. We should be able to live with that. Additionally, I bought 2 tire covers that are going to be over the tires whenever the unit is parked on my pad in the back yard to help prevent dry rot.

Thanks for your assistance...
Firestone Air Bags
Old 05-31-2012, 08:04 AM   #16
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks, I'm not going to be increasing the load on my unit. Just going to the 10Ply tires to actively protect against premature sidewall failure so I should be OK with the same rims.
If you run load range E tires under 65 psi (load range D rated rim max psi) you will most likely have too much side-wall flex creating heat and tread separation. Your load carrying capacity MAY even be less than a properly inflated LR D tire. Your rims and valve stems must match your tires load and psi ratings. A rim failure will cause much more damage than a tire failure.
If your tire dealer is willing to mount LR E tires on rims not rated for 80 psi or higher ..... find another dealer. He is only interested in a sale and not your safety. JM2¢, Hank
Old 05-31-2012, 08:22 AM   #17
BMcCutcheon

Wink

Just got off the phone with Maxis Tech support. They say that the new tire that Im buying was specifically built to work with the standard 15" rim. They said that it has been tested on several trailers with no failures. Tests were performed at 80 to 100 lbs of pressure. I guess we will see.

I have a great attorney if needed.
Firestone Air Bags
Old 05-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #18
BMcCutcheon

Wink

I really like this give and take on this subject. It makes me check into every source I can find. I had my dealer go out an look at my rim that has the blowout on it. It states that it is rated for 75lbs. If I go by the Maxis chart I will still get some gain in load by keeping the tires at the 75lb maximum. Although I will not load any heavier than I do now.

Bill
Firestone Air Bags
Old 05-31-2012, 08:58 AM   #19
BMcCutcheon

I did find these wagon wheels rated at 80 PSI that I just might buy. The price is right.

http://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wh...r/AM20532.html
Firestone Air Bags
Old 05-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #20
CWtheMan

Quote:
I really like this give and take on this subject. It makes me check into every source I can find. I had my dealer go out an look at my rim that has the blowout on it. It states that it is rated for 75lbs. If I go by the Maxis chart I will still get some gain in load by keeping the tires at the 75lb maximum. Although I will not load any heavier than I do now.

Bill
Now days almost everything pertaining to tire/rim safety can be found right on the tire/rim markings. Here is an example of tire markings for tire/rim compatibility. A wise retailer would insure his tire installers follows all safety information found on the tires/rims. His business has that liability because your safety is at stake.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=20708

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote