Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #21
fla-gypsy

For those guys who have Ford diesels that have been completely trouble free you have a ticking time bomb according to some on this forum. LOL I have owned 3 SuperDuty's purchased between 03 and 09 (all gas engines) and I have yet to make any motor repairs. As a matter of fact I have had no repairs of any kind just routine maintenance so I guess we were all just "lucky".
Old 05-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #22
Str8shooter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla-gypsy View Post
For those guys who have Ford diesels that have been completely trouble free you have a ticking time bomb according to some on this forum. LOL I have owned 3 SuperDuty's purchased between 03 and 09 (all gas engines) and I have yet to make any motor repairs. As a matter of fact I have had no repairs of any kind just routine maintenance so I guess we were all just "lucky".
Exactly why I wear ear plugs when driving the beast - just don't want to hear it when she blows!

Rick & Carol
16k Pullrite SuperGlide w/SuperRails
2011 Polaris Ranger XP 800
Str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #23
EcoboostKev

Quote:
It's not just the Ford diesels, It is also the new Ecoboost that is a ticking time bomb!! Even though it has been in production since 2009-10 when it came out in the Lincoln's and Ford Taurus SHO.. I do know that they have had a few small issues but nothing major. Just like what was said about the 6.7 diesel when you compare the number of trucks with a problem to the number of trucks that are actually sold and on the road running fine the % is miniscule.
https://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...11_748-1-1.jpg
EcoboostKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #24
SAABDOCTOR

AS With any engine maintanance has a lot to do with it! and no one ever beats there truck or misses an oil change! i have had the pleasure of a couple of 6.0 fords and i do not want to work on them again. as far as the 6.7 i have not seen anything yet. as far as 6.7 cummins i have heard of issues with turbos cats! i will keep my 5.9 cummins thank you no issues yet hope hope. jmho. if the epa and the feds stayed out of the diesels all would be ok. low sulpher fuel is good, but cats and variable inlet turbos. are just a great place to collect soot and stop working! thats my rant for the week i will go away noand just fix cars!!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #25
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
AS With any engine maintanance has a lot to do with it! and no one ever beats there truck or misses an oil change! i have had the pleasure of a couple of 6.0 fords and i do not want to work on them again. as far as the 6.7 i have not seen anything yet. as far as 6.7 cummins i have heard of issues with turbos cats! i will keep my 5.9 cummins thank you no issues yet hope hope. jmho. if the epa and the feds stayed out of the diesels all would be ok. low sulpher fuel is good, but cats and variable inlet turbos. are just a great place to collect soot and stop working! thats my rant for the week i will go away noand just fix cars!!
I could not agree more, mine has 250K and pulls my 33' 11K# Copper Canyon just fine! This may be the last TV that i buy.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #26
fla-gypsy

I feel no need to bash any brand and I trust everyones tow vehicle will give them the satisfaction that mine gives.. Everyone purchases what they think will work best for them, just as I did.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #27
rhagfo

Quote:
I feel no need to bash any brand and I trust everyones tow vehicle will give them the satisfaction that mine gives.. Everyone purchases what they think will work best for them, just as I did.
Not a Bash, just a statement EPA and emissions are making it tough on ALL Diesels. If i can start taking the 5er out two times a month I may look at going to 10K oil changes. I would not do that with a newer diesel of any make due to fuel dilution of the oil.
My Cummins is an 01, I have the dreaded VP44 injection pump failure hanging over my head! That is a $1,000 part, labor extra! I need to add a lubricant to my fuel, and keep a sharp eye on my Fuel pressure to keep it happy.

The closest to perfect Diesels are early IH 7.3 PS, and the 5.9 12 valve Cummins.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #28
fla-gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Not a Bash, just a statement EPA and emissions are making it tough on ALL Diesels. If i can start taking the 5er out two times a month I may look at going to 10K oil changes. I would not do that with a newer diesel of any make due to fuel dilution of the oil.
My Cummins is an 01, I have the dreaded VP44 injection pump failure hanging over my head! That is a $1,000 part, labor extra! I need to add a lubricant to my fuel, and keep a sharp eye on my Fuel pressure to keep it happy.

The closest to perfect Diesels are early IH 7.3 PS, and the 5.9 12 valve Cummins.
I didn't intend for it to seem I was saying you were bashing. My apologies. This thread did start out as a bashing thread of Ford but is turning into a more civil discussion thankfully.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #29
Festus2
Site Team

Whenever the subject of towing and tow vehicles comes up on the forum, there is always the potential of the posts becoming argumentative and uncivil. Thankfully, there seems to have been a general understanding of and appreciation for the different makes and models of tow vehicles that our members drive. Written thoughts expessed in posts may be misinterpreted resulting in further misunderstanding amongst members.
As was pointed out in one of the previous posts, each of us seems quite happy with whatever truck we happen to own and use to tow whether it be a Ford, Dodge, GM or Toyota. When was the last time you read a post about a member being disgruntled with his tow vehicle? Seems like we are all pretty much satisified with what we have. Now on the other hand, if Keystone would only label those d**n dump valves correctly and put on some decent decals!
Old 05-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #30
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post

Oh I miss my '94 12 valve. ........... if only it had a crew-cab

Festu2, Nice try to change the subject. (especially for a DMax guy) But I have to agree that this argument will go on forever as long as there are men and their toys.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #31
Hansel

As a owner of a 2000 F-250 SD CC with a 7.3L with almost 230,000 miles, I can say that Ford has shot themselves in the foot with thier diesel program. Ford wants to blame International for the 6.0L problems when it was Ford that forced IH to push out the engine to keep up with Chevy and the Duramx diesel. I don't know all the in's and out's of all the legal junk, but I can tell ya that the Federal Government as killed the diesel truck era, it's all about politics.

Personally I love my 7.3L and you couldn't give me a new 6.7L
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:11 AM   #32
geo

Hansel -
I trust that you keep your 7.3 in top condition. However, I missed any factual references to your comments about Ford and the Government. Of course, political bashing is quite frowned upon in the Forum. I am pleased you like your truck. I happen to like my truck also and am quite proud of the fact that it has equipment built in to reduce NOx pollutants. I would certainly decline a gift of a 7.3L. I'm old enough to remember visiting my aunt and uncle in Los Angeles and never really seeing the sun, only a bright disk obscured by green/brown smog. As a geophysicist, I see the changes that our pollutants have made. And as I am sure everyone would agree that there have been Federal and State mandates to protect the environment, I would also like to think that RVers would be leading that effort. I, for one, enjoy waking up to bright, clear mornings, blue sky, and the singing of birds. It saddens me to see the Grand Canyon today, the smoke haze that obscures its beauty, and then see my past pictures of the breath-taking view of the early 1960s.

I am also sure that we all would be pleased to read any factual information that you might have concerning Ford and IH Navistar. Or any factual information on the demise of the diesel.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:34 AM   #33
antiqfreq

Our 2003 7.3 diesel doesn't smoke when driving but maybe a puff of it when first cranking.

When we looked for a truck to pull our fiver in 2007 we knew we wanted the 7.3 and found a used one with 86,000 miles. Now has 145,000 and we only use it for towing the fiver.

Only repair done to the engine was a glow plug sensor about 1 1/2 years ago. Otherwise it is a gem.

If we ever do buy another diesel it probably won't be a FORD though!

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:05 AM   #34
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiqfreq View Post
Our 2003 7.3 diesel doesn't smoke when driving but maybe a puff of it when first cranking.

When we looked for a truck to pull our fiver in 2007 we knew we wanted the 7.3 and found a used one with 86,000 miles. Now has 145,000 and we only use it for towing the fiver.

Only repair done to the engine was a glow plug sensor about 1 1/2 years ago. Otherwise it is a gem.

If we ever do buy another diesel it probably won't be a FORD though!

Jo
Jo -

It sounds like you do like your truck. And at a future time, I bet you will buy a truck that you like! When ever that time comes!

What surprises me in the Truck Wars is that many want to limit competition amongst the truck manufacturers. It seems that there is a promotion of one type of truck, and if you don't have that brand or model, then you are "out". I certainly doubt of any of us would be happy if there was only one brand/model of truck, or one brand/model of RV.

After all, isn't that part of the purpose of this Forum, to give a place for All Keystone owners a place to exchange ideas, seek assistance, and be a part of a community made of many different individuals? No matter what your TV is.

Let's see, I have owned one Chevy, two Dodge, and two Ford trucks, plus countless small cars! I guess I'm multi-lingual!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 05-22-2012, 06:05 AM   #35
Hansel

Geo,

I too hate to see the haze over the NE Georgia area, but my truck IMHO has a tiny part in that condition, but I believe it's been big industry that has caused a majority of the problem, and it's been the governement that's allowed it, and like everything we know, who pays for it!!! Us the general consumer. That's my thought's, I'm not trying to start any bashing or political issue's, I too want things to protect the enviroment, trust me I love spending time in the woods hunting, and someday God willing I want to travel with my wife to the Grand Canyon.

Poor air quality is a global issue I think, and clean burning diesel I'm fine with it, but with what Ford has done with thier diesel program I'm not touching it with a 10ft pole and it's not the emmisions piece's that are the problem, so for me until Ford can product a near bullet proof engine like a 7.3L I'm not buying one. So we are of two different worlds, you love the new stuff, and I'm not truly sold on it yet.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:25 AM   #36
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansel View Post
Geo,

I too hate to see the haze over the NE Georgia area, but my truck IMHO has a tiny part in that condition, but I believe it's been big industry that has caused a majority of the problem, and it's been the governement that's allowed it, and like everything we know, who pays for it!!! Us the general consumer. That's my thought's, I'm not trying to start any bashing or political issue's, I too want things to protect the enviroment, trust me I love spending time in the woods hunting, and someday God willing I want to travel with my wife to the Grand Canyon.

Poor air quality is a global issue I think, and clean burning diesel I'm fine with it, but with what Ford has done with thier diesel program I'm not touching it with a 10ft pole and it's not the emmisions piece's that are the problem, so for me until Ford can product a near bullet proof engine like a 7.3L I'm not buying one. So we are of two different worlds, you love the new stuff, and I'm not truly sold on it yet.
Hansel -

Actually, it's all of us, including me, who have contributed to the problem. Not only "big industry", all of us. And you are correct, in the past, there has been a general lack of understanding and accepted policies for our actions that have caused problems in today's and tomorrow's world. Some things, we cannot change, but others we can. Poor air quality IS a global issue, but in some areas, it's more concentrated, such as Los Angeles and even Atlanta. But if everyone contributed to the solution, no matter how small and insignificant you might think that contribution to be, it would make a huge difference!

I can't remember who said "If it's mechanical, expect it to break down." I think that applies to any of these TVs. I will say that discarding the modifications, I have had a lot more trouble with my Alpine than my Ford! And you are absolutely correct, I do like the new stuff! It's interesting to see how things change. I guess one gets that way after six decades! For me, I think it is absolutely amazing what Ford has done with their diesel program once they dropped IH Navistar.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 05-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #37
Hansel

Geo,

Granted Ford has made some really interesting designs like reversing the air flow into the cylinder heads, I hope that in the years too come Ford will work out all the issue's. At this time with kids getting ready to start college I will not see a new truck anytime soon, so maybe by the time my trusty 7.3L die's Ford will again have put the diesel truck back too the 7.3L standard of darn near bullet proof.

As far as the air here near Atlanta, there are not enough counties doing a emmision requirement. Which is until the entire area does it's not doing enough.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #38
SAABDOCTOR

OH RHAGAFO THANK YOU!!! That many miles on your doge I only have 68k you give me hope. i have been a mechanic for 42 years watched saab go from 2 strokes to oblivion. volvos go from ugly to egg rolls and the asian cars go from rust buckets to some real nice cars and the domestics wait they made in mexico and canadaare they still domestics ha ha ha! go from solid reliable cars to techno computor driven nightmares. but i will state flat out.. maintance is the key take care of it and will do right by you
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #39
2011 keystone

This thread is like the energizer bunny it just keeps going and going and going I think every one needs to agree to disagree on this one.
Because my truck is the best truck to me
Your truck is the best to you
And his/her truck is the best to him/her

Have a great day 2011keystone out LOL
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #40
jje1960

2011 6.7

Little Joe wrote:
"The 6.7L (code name scorpion during development) is having major engine failures caused by valve overheating and is supposedly related to software glitch in ecm programming. The engine is and instant boat anchor when this happens. Ford is trying to keep the low % failures quiet."

I've seen nothing (mine or otherwise) concerning this, if this is poison pen work, needs to be ignored (or better deleted) the new Ford Super Duty motors are cream of the crop as far as I've observed.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote