Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2021, 02:10 PM   #1
Baldy

Water Pump inlet - Repair Advice

Just returned from a two night trip. Shortly after arriving the water pump would take longer than normal to cycle off after using the faucets or toilet. Soon it would not shut off by itself at all.

I turned off the water pump switch and accessed the pump compartment. The pump inlet fitting was loose. I could move it side to side easily. Is this normal? The outlet fitting was solid.

I played with this connection numerous times during our stay. When I buttoned everything up and gave it a try before thinking this was a job to tackle at home, the pump and water system returned to normal.

Any advice on "normal wear" replacement water pump parts would be appreciated. Sources for these parts would also be appreciated.

I guess a replacement Flojet 03526144 pump is not an over the top RV expense, but I'm just not a parts changer. I'm thinking this might be a common repair. Then again, maybe a pump is only good for 5-7 years and it's time. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance. Steve

2020 Cougar RDB
B&W Companion Hitch
2014 RAM 2500 5.7 Hemi 4X4
Baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:38 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You might check the O-rings on the pump fittings and apply some silicone grease to them. If they look worn, replace them. They're a standard size and the Harbor Freight O-ring kit has the correct size. Also take the inlet fitting off the inlet hose and inspect it carefully. Sometimes there's a plastic shard left on the fitting from the mold. That shard is "just enough to prevent the inlet hose from sealing well"....

Also make sure the blue locking tabs are properly seating "all the way down" when the fitting is inserted and you push down on the tab. If the fitting doesn't go all the way in and seat properly, the tab will "look locked" but the fitting can vibrate out just enough to create an air leak on the inlet side. That air leak causes the "constant run/long run symptoms you're having"....

ADDED: Also, make sure your battery is fully charged and/or that you're on shore power. A weak battery will cause the same symptoms (prolonged run times) because the pump motor can't develop enough power to the pump head to attain "full pressure output"... That can be caused by a loose/corroded power connection to the pump as well.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:14 PM   #3
Baldy

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll certainly inspect the inlet fitting, the o ring, and apply the lube.

I know the blue clip is going all the way "in" (to what I would say was the locked position) but the inlet fitting still moves probably +/- 10 degrees side to side. No in or out movement. Is this normal?

Thanks again. Steve

2020 Cougar RDB
B&W Companion Hitch
Old 09-02-2021, 05:28 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

No, the fitting should be "snug in the fitting". It will turn with little resistance, but it should not "wobble or move side to side". It sounds like either the O-ring is bad/missing, the fitting is damaged or the pump head structure is damaged so the fitting doesn't seat properly.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 04:19 AM   #5
Lee

Hi,

Had a similar problem with the pump in my TT.... to include a very slow leak on the output side of the pump.

Figuring it was the o-ring, I replaced it,... but it still leaked.

I removed the pump and mocked it up on the bench with the pickup side drawing from a bucket of water and the output side I installed a valve.

My problem ended up being fixed by replacing the fitting that has the o-ring on it.

https://www.amazon.com/Surgeflo-Fitt...omotive&sr=1-1

When I compared the fitment of the original to the replacement fitting, there was a great deal of movement with the original.

Anyway, I reinstalled the pump but it kept bugging me how did the original fitting wear out??? Since it doesn't get pulled out regularly. Then I think I figured it out. When the pump is operating, since it's mounted on rubber shocks, the pump assembly vibrates at a high frequency. The input and discharge pipes attached to the pump are hard pex tubing secured to the floor and don't move. So... with the pump viberating and the pex tubing not viberating, the fitting takes the wear.

Also to consider,... I exclusively dry camp. So compared to others that camp with full hookups my TT's water pump gets used to a much higher degree.... hence the fitting wore out.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 02:51 PM   #6
Baldy

John and Lee, thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

I just ordered a new inlet fitting and will hope it fits snug like you both described. If not, I'll pull the pump so I can determine if I have any damage to the housing or the blue clip. I'll report back in a week or so with the final solution.

Happy camping! Lee, I'd love to see that F250 in your signature. I have fond memories of trying to get one of those stuck in Salt Creek back in the 70's.......

2020 Cougar RDB
B&W Companion Hitch

Tags
water, water pump