Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2021, 11:21 AM   #1
markcee

Refrigerator Cooling Discussion

Background:

Last week I blew the inline thermAL fuse on my Dometic 2872. In addition, we have always had an issue with having to press the thermO fuse reset (9 out of 10 times anyway) after running on propane, while traveling. To clarify the nomenclature, it is my understanding that the thermO fuse is the one attached to the flu (chimney), it has two 12V leads running to the reefer control board, as well as a resettable button located between the two spade connectors on these aforementioned leads.

The thermAL fuse, on the other hand, runs inline through the 12v wiring leads mentioned above and to the control board. The thermAL fuse is covered by rubber sheathing and gently clamped into place along the back wall in the reefer access compartment. In my research, I believe this thermAL fuse was added during a Dometic recall circa 2010. It was added to mitigate a high temp fire hazard. It is now standard issue.

I've also read that each of these fuses trip/fail under different conditions. ThermAL during periods of high temp caused by the LP burner flame (dirty orifice, blowback etc.).....I plan on cleaning these areas prior to replacing the inline ThermAL fuse on my unit. As far as when the ThermO switch trips and needs reset....I'm not so sure. Lots of differing info. Since it's attached to the flu, I assume it has to do with high temps specifically in that region.

So....I am exploring ways to improve airflow to my Dometic 2872 refrigerator in an attempt to decrease operating temps. In my trailer's floor plan, the reefer is installed in the kitchen slide. I've seen that this creates unique cooling challenges. I have both a lower and upper reefer access panel on the sidewall of the RV. When I remove the upper vent panel, I see that the void between top and bottom has already been narrowed with luan (at the factory). I cannot even access/see any upper fin vents on the back of the reefer due to the luan install. I've read this is done to direct the rising hot air from the lower vent to flow over these upper fins on the refrigerator.

So, my questions.

#1. In my Dometic manual, it references the 'OPTIONAL' fans for the DM2872 model. I'm wondering if the 'OPTIONAL' is determined by whether or not your fridge is installed in a slide out or not? If so, I guess I have these fans already and am presumably covered for outside ventilation? It's pretty impossible to tell if I have any cooling fans. The luan is literally blocking/covering the entire opening. Basically when I open the upper panel, I see wood...no fins or anything else on the back of the reefer.

#2. If I'm not covered as discussed above, what are some recommendations for providing better exterior based airflow? Mount fans in the lower access compartment? If so, what do you recommend?

#3. Thoughts on interior fridge mounted fan assemblies (like the triple fan panels that mount on the fins) vs. the single standalone 'sit on the shelf' fans. Are either worth more than the other?
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 01:58 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The luan panel you see when you remove the upper panel is there to force the air to flow over the coils. If your refer had the fans, you would most likely hear them when the coils got warm.

I added a fan to the bottom compartment and my Dometic keeps ice cream frozen in 100 degree weather. I have never (knock on wood) had an issue with either thermo safety device. I do use a fan that runs on a pair of D cell batteries and sits in the condensation tray, yes it greatly improves things IMO, a soda in the door gets cold in hours not days.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 03:59 PM   #3
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The luan panel you see when you remove the upper panel is there to force the air to flow over the coils. If your refer had the fans, you would most likely hear them when the coils got warm.

I added a fan to the bottom compartment and my Dometic keeps ice cream frozen in 100 degree weather. I have never (knock on wood) had an issue with either thermo safety device. I do use a fan that runs on a pair of D cell batteries and sits in the condensation tray, yes it greatly improves things IMO, a soda in the door gets cold in hours not days.
Thanks Chuckster. I was curious if it would be worthwhile to add a fan in the lower compartment, considering my current setup. Sounds like it's worth doing.

I already use a cheap Valterra 'D' cell fan inside the fridge....Wondering if one of the multi fan interior panel assemblies perform any better, or is this just overkill:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAD

Or perhaps just a better shelf model like the Beech Lane ??
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 04:15 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I think any movement in the fridge compartment is an improvement.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote