Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2021, 06:48 AM   #1
Brysonsdad

Good Morning from NC. New member with a ton of questions.

We currently have a 2016 FR Wildwood 26tbss and looking for something a little bigger. Considering Keystone and Grand Design. If you see my questions in the appropriate thread and have an answer, please respond. Looking to move fast. Thanks and happy camping!
Brysonsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:32 AM   #2
dutchmensport

I'm not real sure what your question is? I'm assuming you are asking for a comparison between Keystone and Grand Design, but that is really wide open. What models are you comparing? Which floor plans? Fifth Wheels or travel trailers? There are myriads of brands and models under the Keystone banner. Grand Design has a wide variety too.

Would you narrow your question down more? Are you wanting a comparison on manufacturing, quality, weights, build, design, tires, holding tank sizes, weights, ... can my tow vehicle tow it? Warranty support differences?
Old 03-07-2021, 08:18 AM   #3
jsb5717

I agree, there's no good way to answer that question. Most folks on this forum will likely have a Keystone bias, but both manufacturers have decent reputations and make nice rigs. They will both have their champions and haters. Unless you have a particular loyalty to one brand over another then it's got to be more about your personal preference and budget. Buy what makes sense for you and your family.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:21 AM   #4
Brysonsdad

Was going to post my questions in the correct thread. Was considering a 5er but would have to go to the smallest ones. Currently pulling with a 2019 Silverado 2500 HD diesel. Just really wanting a bunk house in the rear with a door and largest living space available.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:24 AM   #5
Brysonsdad

Thanks. No loyalty yet since we have only had our current camper for 5 years and that was our entry level purchase. Nothing wrong with our camper. The wife just wants a little larger and nicer.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:17 AM   #6
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brysonsdad View Post
Thanks. No loyalty yet....
Well, in that case, I don't have loyalty either, but I really do love my Keystone Montana High Country 375FL fifth wheel.

My previous travel trailer was a Keystone Outback.

The one before that was a Keystone Springdale

The one before that was a Dutchmen (now owned by Thor Industries who also owns Keystone).

So, I guess I'm partial and OK with Keystone.

Of all 4 campers, the one I had most problems with was my current Montana High Country Fifth wheel. All our campers were purchased brand new. But by far, the fifth wheel was the most problematic. In the first year of ownership, I had 80 different issues. Some warranty fixed. Many, many more I fixed myself because the wait time for warranty work was so long.

Well, after what felt like a total camper rebuild a year later, we've not had any more issues. Our second year of ownership has been great! Nothing went wrong, except my own mistakes (like turning on the electric on the water heater and there was no water in the tank..... oops!) But that was one me.

We are now going into our 3rd year of ownership, and no new problems. I'm scheduled to have the wheel bearings repacked in a few days. Other than that, she's been a very good camper. But it took a year of ownership and fixes to get her there.

One thing you cannot get away from... no matter what brand of camper, make, model, or class... if you purchase an RV of any kind, there will be repairs that will need to be done... with new and used. It's just the way it is. Be prepared to by a Robertson headed screw driver! You'll need it.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #7
travelin texans

With a 3/4 ton diesel truck you've already limited yourself with the trucks payload posted on the driver's door post.
The 1st number you should look at on any 5th wheel would be the GVWR posted on the front corner (not brochures, literature or sales numbers) calculate 23% of that number as the pin weight + the weight of your chosen hitch & subtract that from the payload of your truck, anything left is for people, pets & whatever else you load into the truck.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:39 PM   #8
Brysonsdad

Wow! 80. Hard pill to swallow. We have only had just a couple of minor issues with our FR Wildwood and I anticipate minor issues with any new purchase especially now. They are pushing them out the door. I own an appliance service company and have all tools needed along with multi meters and esr meter. I have re soldered relays on a friend's board in his camper. $4 relay versus $200 for new board. Easy as pie. Thanks for your input. Need any appliance help just hollar!
Old 03-07-2021, 02:02 PM   #9
markcee

Quote:
Was going to post my questions in the correct thread. Was considering a 5er but would have to go to the smallest ones. Currently pulling with a 2019 Silverado 2500 HD diesel. Just really wanting a bunk house in the rear with a door and largest living space available.
I know you were initially interested in a 5th wheel (per another post) but realized the 3/4 diesel might not be up to the task. Out of curiosity, what is the actual cargo carrying capacity (payload) listed on the yellow/white sticker on the driver's side door pillar?

This will give everyone a better idea of what floorplans/size you can go in the TT bunkhouse realm.

Also, how many adults/children/pets in the truck and how much additional gear in the truck when camping?

Even though you have a 3/4 ton, some TT's could potentially overload you, depending on your truck's trim level (affects payload) and how many occupants and gear you will be carrying.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:05 PM   #10
jsb5717

Our experience is quite different from Dutchmen. We had only a few minor issues and have been quite happy with our HC and very pleased with how it's performed. I think there will be some similarity in all manufacturers with regard to build quality from one rig to the next. And you're right, with the rate at which they are cranking them out right now might increase the odds of more issues...or not. It's a bit of a crap shoot. Generally speaking GD and Keystone both have good reputations. Just be ready to buy that 1 ton for whatever you pick in the size range you're considering.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:52 PM   #11
Brysonsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
I know you were initially interested in a 5th wheel (per another post) but realized the 3/4 diesel might not be up to the task. Out of curiosity, what is the actual cargo carrying capacity (payload) listed on the yellow/white sticker on the driver's side door pillar?

This will give everyone a better idea of what floorplans/size you can go in the TT bunkhouse realm.

Also, how many adults/children/pets in the truck and how much additional gear in the truck when camping?

Even though you have a 3/4 ton, some TT's could potentially overload you, depending on your truck's trim level (affects payload) and how many occupants and gear you will be carrying.
payload is stated at 2202lbs. I have the ltz package with the 3.73 gear ratio. The gvw rating on sticker is 10K. Thanks for your input!
Old 03-07-2021, 05:04 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
payload is stated at 2202lbs. I have the ltz package with the 3.73 gear ratio. The gvw rating on sticker is 10K. Thanks for your input!

At 2200 lbs. for a payload you will need to look at TTs and watch them very closely as they play against your available payload. Use 13% of the gvw of the trailer and deduct that from the payload. Then 120 for hitch and then the weights of people and gear in the truck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:40 AM   #13
spicercars

Welcome form northern MN.

Tags