Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2021, 12:26 PM   #1
Kevin J

2021 Bullet 250bhs............

About 40secs into this online video of the new bullet 250bhs.....
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC4

you can see a junction cover box(see photo)in the rear storage compartment; on the same side as the external shore power external plugin.

Could it be wires from the shore power plugin to allow for a hard-wired surge protector/EMS?

Anyone seen anything similar?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-02-15 at 13.15.11.jpeg
Views:	114
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	32018  
Kevin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:37 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J View Post

you can see a junction cover box(see photo)in the rear storage compartment; on the same side as the external shore power external plugin.

Could it be wires from the shore power plugin to allow for a hard-wired surge protector/EMS?

Probably where the inverter or solar charge prep is
Old 02-15-2021, 12:42 PM   #3
Kevin J

Hi Jasin1,

The box photo'd is in the rear storage compt of the TT.
The 250bhs solar ready/prep comes in a different box in the front pass-through.

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:44 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Have you pulled the cover to see what's under there? Do you have a remote for the trailer? I had a box just like that in my last trailer and can't remember for sure but believe the control unit for the remote was under it.

Whoops! Didn't note it was rear pass thru, sorry.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:49 PM   #5
Kevin J

Unfortunately awaiting delivery of the TT so all I have is the photo.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:57 PM   #6
RBH

Kevin

Jasin1 is correct.

Behind that panel will be the Romex cable loop that wires the 3 outlets (bedroom,kitchen,TV) marketed as Solar Ready or Solar Prepped for connection to a automatic transfer switch and inverter. If you wish to use an inverter, that Romex cable needs to be cut and connected to a transfer switch which gets plugged into an inverter`. You need to confirm which end feeds back to your electrical panel and which end goes to the transfer switch. You should see a breaker on your panel labelled "Solar" . We went with an Xantrex ProWatt SW for the transfer switch.

https://www.amazon.ca/Xantrex-808091.../dp/B004S5Y158

I just had this done on our new 2021 Passport 2500RK GT . Also behind the bulkhead and either behind that cap or near it will be the 2 cables coming from solar gland on the roof to the batteries for connection to solar panels if you chose to add them. The one caveat to all this is that I have a question out to the dealership to confirm that the "solar" breaker on the panel is indeed for the 3 pre-wired outlets. That is everyone's assumption but I don't pick up the trailer until Saturday. If this isn't confirmed before then I will let you know.

Britt
RBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:00 PM   #7
RBH

Sorry Kevin, had assumed this was in the front passthru. Just saw your post about it being in the rear. Can't help with that

Britt
RBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:05 PM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBH View Post
Kevin

Jasin1 is correct.

Behind that panel will be the Romex cable loop that wires the 3 outlets (bedroom,kitchen,TV) marketed as Solar Ready or Solar Prepped for connection to a automatic transfer switch and inverter. If you wish to use an inverter, that Romex cable needs to be cut and connected to a transfer switch which gets plugged into an inverter`. You need to confirm which end feeds back to your electrical panel and which end goes to the transfer switch. You should see a breaker on your panel labelled "Solar" . We went with an Xantrex ProWatt SW for the transfer switch.

I just had this done on our new 2021 Passport 2500RK GT . Also behind the bulkhead and either behind that cap or near it will be the 2 cables coming from solar gland on the roof to the batteries for connection to solar panels if you chose to add them. The one caveat to all this is that I have a question out to the dealership to confirm that the "solar" breaker on the panel is indeed for the 3 pre-wired outlets. That is everyone's assumption but I don't pick up the trailer until Saturday. If this isn't confirmed before then I will let you know.

Britt
My 2020 cougar has the solar breaker... it does go to the three outlets ...I installed a xantrex freedom x 2000
Old 02-15-2021, 01:09 PM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Unfortunately awaiting delivery of the TT so all I have is the photo.
I’m gonna need you to drive over to the trailer..wherever it is... it’s like the geraldo Rivera episode where he opens the safe...now I need to know
Old 02-15-2021, 02:34 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

That black plastic cover is the "junction box cover" for the trailer shore power inlet. Behind it is the rear part of the male shore power receptacle. To that is the ROMEX cable that connects the outlet to the power center.

I suppose you "could" install an EMS by cutting the ROMEX or by disconnecting it and attaching the ROMEX to the EMS output and buying some additional ROMEX to "jumper" the receptacle to the EMS input....

If you do that, you're going to have a "fragile electrical component" with a phone cable plug that's wired to the EMS remote "more or less strung though that storage compartment"... That's going to lead to an almost predictable snag on the remote cable, something wet being spilled into the EMS or something heavy "bouncing against it for a full day's towing"....

I wouldn't mount my EMS in that compartment.

Much simpler would be to disconnect the ROMEX at the power distribution center, wire that to the EMS input, and use a short run of ROMEX to connect the EMS output to the power center circuit breaker panel. That way, the remote "phone cable" is protected, the EMS is not exposed in a storage space and there's less probability that it will be damaged.

My opinion: Can it be mounted near that black plastic cover? Yep... Should it? NOPE.... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:41 PM   #11
Kevin J

very good. I hope there is more behind the TT cover than in Geraldo Al Capone safe.

RBH. Good post thanks. I am definitely going to be inspecting the front pass through for the solar prep.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:47 PM   #12
Kevin J

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That black plastic cover is the "junction box cover" for the trailer shore power inlet. Behind it is the rear part of the male shore power receptacle. To that is the ROMEX cable that connects the outlet to the power center.

I suppose you "could" install an EMS by cutting the ROMEX or by disconnecting it and attaching the ROMEX to the EMS output and buying some additional ROMEX to "jumper" the receptacle to the EMS input....

If you do that, you're going to have a "fragile electrical component" with a phone cable plug that's wired to the EMS remote "more or less strung though that storage compartment"... That's going to lead to an almost predictable snag on the remote cable, something wet being spilled into the EMS or something heavy "bouncing against it for a full day's towing"....

I wouldn't mount my EMS in that compartment.

Much simpler would be to disconnect the ROMEX at the power distribution center, wire that to the EMS input, and use a short run of ROMEX to connect the EMS output to the power center circuit breaker panel. That way, the remote "phone cable" is protected, the EMS is not exposed in a storage space and there's less probability that it will be damaged.

My opinion: Can it be mounted near that black plastic cover? Yep... Should it? NOPE.... YMMV
Thanks.
I will have a look behind the cover and post some photos when I get the TT.
I am considering the PWD30-EPO-h.
It has bluetooth and phone app so won't require the phone cable. I just thought behind the cover might be a suitable spot for the PWD30 and save pulling out the breaker panel.

I appreciate the info from you all and hopefully one day will be able to contribute to the info found here.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:49 PM   #13
Kevin J

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBH View Post
Kevin

Jasin1 is correct.

Britt
Hi Britt,

Just wondering. Did you think about an inverter with a built in switch? if so why did you go with the one linked above?

Sorry. Right now it seems every answer only has me posing more questions.
Old 02-15-2021, 03:17 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks.
I will have a look behind the cover and post some photos when I get the TT.
I am considering the PWD30-EPO-h.
It has bluetooth and phone app so won't require the phone cable. I just thought behind the cover might be a suitable spot for the PWD30 and save pulling out the breaker panel.

I appreciate the info from you all and hopefully one day will be able to contribute to the info found here.
There's not enough space "behind the cover" to mount an EMS and, even if you did, there are exposed electrical connectors on the plug. A "metal box EMS" and "exposed electrical connectors" don't play well together, even if you could, somehow "squeeze it in the cavity"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-15-2021, 03:34 PM   #15
Kevin J

Then behind the circuit panel would definitely be less obtrusive. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2021, 03:39 PM   #16
Kevin J

The TT comes fitted with an WFCO 3-stage WF8900 series.
Seems decent enough?
Old 02-15-2021, 04:42 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
The TT comes fitted with an WFCO 3-stage WF8900 series.
Seems decent enough?
Unless you convert to lithium batteries, the WFCO is all you'll need.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-16-2021, 11:56 AM   #18
BoCox

You can add EMS

Quote:

I have this 2021 250BHS model. I added my EMS from my totaled Airstream. There is enough extra wire to connect the EMS and mount it. Added a couple feet of same gauge from EMS to shore power connection. Not enough space behind the small plastic cover to hide the EMS. On my list to find that solution. So far I’ve had no issues and the progressive industries works as it should.
BoCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 02:54 PM   #19
Kevin J

Thanks for the info.
It seems like you are the only other 250bhs owner I have heard of.

Do you recall what gauge wire needed? Did you just mount it on the wall of the rear storage compartment? Was it a fairly basic job?

Thanks again.
Old 02-16-2021, 03:33 PM   #20
BoCox

Easy job.

You as well. 10 gauge. Keystone has universal wiring. There’s a file online that explains it all. We are loving ours. Spent the wkend camping in the rain with friends and had a ball. I removed all my vinyl decals day one and love the look. Plan on keeping and don’t want the maintenance and peeling that will eventually happen. Few other upgrades (maxx fans - 2) new bed, digital lock to name a few. It’s all been easy. Just time and money. -luke
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EB86ECC7-28AA-4C6F-A60C-479C7FE3F0E3.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	32028  
BoCox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet