Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2021, 08:23 AM   #21
Lmgsnyder

Avalanche

We have a 2019 Avalanche 32" 5th wheel. Love the extra width, high ceilings, big windows, island kitchen, king bed. First summer (2019) we had it in to get things fixed almost every week after we camped on the weekend. got to be a joke with the dealer that we would just make an appointment for Monday. Lots of little/medium size problems - screws falling out, window leaking, dining room chair broke, awning coming off, among some of the things I can remember. Keystone warranty all the work. Biggest issue I really hate was the KeyTV system. quit working February 2020. then covid hit and warranty ran out in March. would have to sit for 2 weeks before they would even look at it and I wasn't giving up my camping weekends. so at end of summer took it in for winterizing and more repairs. Keystone would not warranty the KeyTV module. said I needed to contact the manufacture of it. Not happy about that. Thought they should contact the manufacturer. had to pay to get it replaced. Havent used it yet so hopefully it will work this spring. Hopefully we are past all the little problems. Ive had 8 trailers over the years and this is the one I had the most problems with and paid the most for! But I really like the layout so will hopefully be keeping it for long time.
Lmgsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:27 AM   #22
JSisemoreTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Never ever pass up a Bucc-ee's.
Is that the Bucc-ees on I-10 Seguin? Used to be my regular stop for fuel and food on the way to and from Laredo.
It does look just a little low in front, but could be the pic angle.
I think it was just angle by the gas pumps as it looks more level otherwise but will keep close eye on that....it rode great on the 3 hr drive back to Houston area.

Bought 5th wheel in Seguin and the Buccees was in Lulling, TX on I-10. Buccees is always .30 cents cheaper on Diesel than any Pilot, Luvs, Flying J .....better food, better bathrooms ....no Brainer.

For any Non-Texans reading the thread .....stopping at a Buccee's should be in your Travel Bucket list! You won't be sorry.
JSisemoreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:30 AM   #23
JSisemoreTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad1383 View Post
Im also in the market for an Avalanche. Was gonna get the HC but the cable slides are bothering me in the HC. Very nice unit, Im looking to buy the mid bunk model.
wife and kids are both loving the 396BH but we looked at the mid bunks as well. We have 3 kids so went with larger model.....if I had 2 kids, would have gone with midbunk. Best of luck on your shopping....keep us posted if you pull the trigger on a new Avalanche.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:56 AM   #24
Larrystegall

However

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSisemoreTX View Post
we bought it for $33k.....used 10 months and still got $30k on trade in....so not to much of a bath.

Dealership came down into the $57k range in the 2020 Avalanche.....so feel like we got a good deal. Shopped it nationally.

Only driving 3 hrs to pick it up in San Antonio on Monday......now to get the trade rig organized and ready for the switch over! Busy weekend.
You will like that deal until you see your trade advertised at $42,500 and they will let the next guy “steal it” for an even $40K.
Larrystegall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:44 AM   #25
JSisemoreTX

Quote:
I'm just down the road from you in Liberty. You will enjoy how the 5th pulls compared to that long TT. Let us know how your first tow back to Huffman from San Antonio went.
By the way Gearhead, we store our rig on 1960 between Dayton and Huffman.....probably not more than 40 mins from you. Small world. Thanks for your advice and contributions on the forums.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:48 AM   #26
JSisemoreTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrystegall View Post
You will like that deal until you see your trade advertised at $42,500 and they will let the next guy “steal it” for an even $40K.
You may be right, but anyone that buys a 1-yr used TT for $40k when a good negotiator can get it in the low $30's or even high $20's.....well that's just how the world works. As for me and those I advise....go slow, shop nationally or regionally to go after multiple of the same rig you have decided on.....start insultingly low and see where you can get multiple dealers to come down to.....then when you know the fair market value, use that market intelligence to negotiate the appropriate deal. Be willing to walk away....the right deal is there somewhere.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:10 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
You may be right, but anyone that buys a 1-yr used TT for $40k when a good negotiator can get it in the low $30's or even high $20's.....well that's just how the world works. As for me and those I advise....go slow, shop nationally or regionally to go after multiple of the same rig you have decided on.....start insultingly low and see where you can get multiple dealers to come down to.....then when you know the fair market value, use that market intelligence to negotiate the appropriate deal. Be willing to walk away....the right deal is there somewhere.
So true !!!!! Trust me when I say that NO dealer will sell you a trailer and lose money on it, even if he's "crying with tears falling" through the entire negotiation process.

If you "think to yourself" that you got the best possible deal, then when you sign the paperwork, stop shopping !!!!! No doubt, someone, somewhere will report that they "beat your deal by $1000" but did they??? When all the "non negotiated inclusions are considered" (from interest rate on a 12 year vs a 5 year loan, the extended warranty, the tax rate in your state vs where they bought, the options on their trailer vs yours, and the list goes on and on)... So, if you're happy, that's what matters, no matter what you paid "when compared"....

Back to that dealer's price, they're going to make a profit, even if they "take a loss on your invoice price... Somewhere there's something to sweeten the pot if it looks like you're taking the dealer to the cleaners.... It may be their "pack plan from Keystone" or even from their "primary lender"....

The dealer will "walk away" if it's not advantageous to him, a "wise shopper" is always willing to do the same....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:15 AM   #28
JSisemoreTX

JRTJH, absolutely spot on. After purchase, let the fun begin and don't look back. Life is too short!
Old 02-04-2021, 04:33 PM   #29
KF7MAX

We have the 2020 365mb, very nice, lots of options, solar, Direct Dish, some initial issues, fixed under warranty by dealer, propane heater stopped working, closet hanger rack fell down, a few screws on roof of slide out not sealed. TV-Stero system integration not done right at factory, fixed. Have the mid bunk house converted to mobile office and ham shack. Hitting the road this spring/summer. Companion Slider, awesome hitch!!
KF7MAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:33 PM   #30
LHaven

Quote:
You may be right, but anyone that buys a 1-yr used TT for $40k when a good negotiator can get it in the low $30's or even high $20's.....well that's just how the world works.
I assume the "COVID RV shortage" figures in heavily here to get you your trade-in price.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:06 PM   #31
JSisemoreTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF7MAX View Post
We have the 2020 365mb, very nice, lots of options, solar, Direct Dish, some initial issues, fixed under warranty by dealer, propane heater stopped working, closet hanger rack fell down, a few screws on roof of slide out not sealed. TV-Stero system integration not done right at factory, fixed. Have the mid bunk house converted to mobile office and ham shack. Hitting the road this spring/summer. Companion Slider, awesome hitch!!
....so we now have the Avalanche and it appears the factory or dealership also did NOT install our TV/Stero properly as surround function does not work as it should. But not to big of a deal...
Old 02-04-2021, 09:51 PM   #32
Big1

Quote:
Thanks for the comments ya'll, last night in the Laredo and pick up the 5th Wheel (Avalanche) on Monday.

Congrats! Don't forget to post some pics, nice truck.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:56 AM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
....so we now have the Avalanche and it appears the factory or dealership also did NOT install our TV/Stero properly as surround function does not work as it should. But not to big of a deal...

As I think you are aware the folks at the factory that install the stereo/tv/audio don't actually know anything about how their supposed to work, they wire it up and if a light comes on it's good. I've had to rewire the stereo/sound/tv systems in the last 2 new trailers.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:09 AM   #34
gearhead

Quote:
I think it was just angle by the gas pumps as it looks more level otherwise but will keep close eye on that....it rode great on the 3 hr drive back to Houston area.

Bought 5th wheel in Seguin and the Buccees was in Lulling, TX on I-10. Buccees is always .30 cents cheaper on Diesel than any Pilot, Luvs, Flying J .....better food, better bathrooms ....no Brainer.

For any Non-Texans reading the thread .....stopping at a Buccee's should be in your Travel Bucket list! You won't be sorry.
Heck, I meant Luling.
Yeah Buccee's is the ultimate convenience store. Clean clean clean. Usually plenty of room around the gas pumps for RV's and no 18 wheelers allowed. Friday afternoons and weekends it can get a little crazy.

Josiah Huffman (1818-1878) was married to my great grand aunt Jemima Simmons. All Louisiana people. Their daughter Lucinda married JW Oates and lived in what is called Oates Prairie...Loop 610/Wallisville Rd area. Owned land from the ship channel north to Settegast rail yards and east into Liberty County. Wish I was closer kin!
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:18 PM   #35
Flyboy

Love it

We have a 40’ Avalanche and love it. We pulled it for a couple years with our Chevy 3/4ton diesel along with an Anderson hitch with no issues. We now pull it with a Volvo Semi... so no issues either. For it’s pricepoint, I think the Avalanche is hard to beat.

As for buying anther one, we’ve had no problems to speak of with the camper other than Keystone themselves. The rumors are true, they are very difficult to deal with over the phone in a customer service capacity. I will never buy another product from Keystone. Not because of any quality issues... but simply due to their customer service.

We use it four seasons in Minnesota and have found it keeps us warm just fine. No mechanical or other troubles at all.

Our next camper will be a DRV so we can count on better customer relations.

Hope that helps...
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:03 PM   #36
gearhead

Quote:
By the way Gearhead, we store our rig on 1960 between Dayton and Huffman.....probably not more than 40 mins from you. Small world. Thanks for your advice and contributions on the forums.
Oh, you're storing it out there in southern Tarkington Prairie or Northern Eastgate. LOL
Might be 20 minutes from me at most. That area is jumping with Hwy 99 coming.
If you need service help, and not from a dealer, I would recommend Channelview RV Supply on I-10 eastbound near Dell Dale. They are factory authorized on about all RV components. Also, their best tech lives over here in Hardin and does work "on the side" at his home.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 02-05-2021, 06:26 PM   #37
JSisemoreTX

Quote:
Oh, you're storing it out there in southern Tarkington Prairie or Northern Eastgate. LOL
Might be 20 minutes from me at most. That area is jumping with Hwy 99 coming.
If you need service help, and not from a dealer, I would recommend Channelview RV Supply on I-10 eastbound near Dell Dale. They are factory authorized on about all RV components. Also, their best tech lives over here in Hardin and does work "on the side" at his home.
Gearhead....do you happen to know how to get ahold of the service tech directly? Wonder what he'd quote me to put in new awnings? Mine seems to be tearing away from the unit....

Only problem I am aware of so far...
Old 02-05-2021, 10:53 PM   #38
Big1

Oh, I see the pics, nice setup.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:55 AM   #39
gearhead

Quote:
Gearhead....do you happen to know how to get ahold of the service tech directly? Wonder what he'd quote me to put in new awnings? Mine seems to be tearing away from the unit....

Only problem I am aware of so far...
I'll private message you.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 02-06-2021, 08:11 PM   #40
JSisemoreTX

Quote:
I'll private message you.
got it, thx Gearhead!