Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2021, 03:36 PM   #1
jrhoads23

Newbie looking for truck upgrade - Advice on tranny, gears, ...

Looking to upgrade to a Ram 2500 and looking for some advice. Would love a diesel but most likely going with a gasser (cost). And I am pretty much set on a 2019+ Ram 2500 (open to a 3500). Getting something with 4WD and crew cab. Do not want DRW.

Wife and I along with two little ones. We currently have a Outback 23RS. No immediate plans to upgrade camper but I could see us getting something a little larger down the road. We go 6-10 times a year and usually stay within 150 miles from home. When not camping will be a daily driver with mostly short commutes (20 miles or less)

My question is what should I be looking for (or what should I be steering clear of) in terms of transmission, gears, anything else ... ?
Or given our habits, does none of this matter *all that much* to the point I should just look for the best deal out there?

Thanks!

P.S. I apologize if this has all been asked before. If so, please shoot me some links for further reading
jrhoads23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 03:42 PM   #2
Ribtip

6.4 8sp and 4.10 gears.
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 03:45 PM   #3
Ribtip

Check out ram forum .com anything you want to know is there. Hr's of reading
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 04:18 PM   #4
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtip View Post
6.4 8sp and 4.10 gears.
In a 3500 SRW.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 04:26 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

It's pretty hard to give you "good" advice. Your scenario could be anything in a short time. With 2 little ones and a smaller RV currently, your future plans could go in many different directions. Some thought about what it is you might be doing in say 3-4 years would be beneficial.

Generically; if going for a gas 2500 go with the 3500. Minimal difference in cost but enough of a difference in payload to make it worth it. Difference in ride (daily driver) is negligible (owned both). If going gas, and you go with a 3500, that's about as big as you're going without a dually or much larger truck.

I drive Rams so I'll speak to them. I drive a crew cab. Just 2 of us but I like the room (as does puppy). I always drive 4x4. Rarely need it, but when you do need it you have it vs a tow truck. I've been stuck in a 4x4 but nearly every time I knew it was going to happen because I got myself into it.

I like short beds. I used to have long beds but a short bed does everything I need including carrying 8' sheets of whatever and 12' long lumber. Maneuverability, just fitting, is easier. Tons of options, or not, that one can select to fit individual preferences.

Gas drivetrain (Ram); Of the newer Rams I've owned the 4.7, 5.7 and 6.4. The 5.7 and 6.4 are strong but the 6.4 is stronger. The newer 8 speed trannys make a world of difference. Axle ratio for me, if you can find one, is 4.10. Greatly improves towing and overall performance. Some worry about mpg but the reduction is infinitesimal to me and the benefits far outweigh any mpg concerns for me.

Don'ts? Don't get a low (numerically) axle ratio. It kills towing performance; get as high as you can find. Don't worry about an HD truck riding too "rough"; they are just a tad more harsh than a 1/2 ton but no issue. Don't buy too little truck looking to the future unless you have no issue with buying a larger truck at some point.

Just a few thoughts as you embark on your adventure. And yes, the question has been asked many times and will continue to be. Fire away with any others you come up with.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:51 PM   #6
gearhead

Where is Sullivan? Mountains, snow country, Florida, etc?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:49 AM   #7
jrhoads23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Where is Sullivan? Mountains, snow country, Florida, etc?
Wisconsin!
Old 01-02-2021, 06:53 AM   #8
jrhoads23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
It's pretty hard to give you "good" advice. Your scenario could be anything in a short time. With 2 little ones and a smaller RV currently, your future plans could go in many different directions. Some thought about what it is you might be doing in say 3-4 years would be beneficial.

Generically; if going for a gas 2500 go with the 3500. Minimal difference in cost but enough of a difference in payload to make it worth it. Difference in ride (daily driver) is negligible (owned both). If going gas, and you go with a 3500, that's about as big as you're going without a dually or much larger truck.

I drive Rams so I'll speak to them. I drive a crew cab. Just 2 of us but I like the room (as does puppy). I always drive 4x4. Rarely need it, but when you do need it you have it vs a tow truck. I've been stuck in a 4x4 but nearly every time I knew it was going to happen because I got myself into it.

I like short beds. I used to have long beds but a short bed does everything I need including carrying 8' sheets of whatever and 12' long lumber. Maneuverability, just fitting, is easier. Tons of options, or not, that one can select to fit individual preferences.

Gas drivetrain (Ram); Of the newer Rams I've owned the 4.7, 5.7 and 6.4. The 5.7 and 6.4 are strong but the 6.4 is stronger. The newer 8 speed trannys make a world of difference. Axle ratio for me, if you can find one, is 4.10. Greatly improves towing and overall performance. Some worry about mpg but the reduction is infinitesimal to me and the benefits far outweigh any mpg concerns for me.

Don'ts? Don't get a low (numerically) axle ratio. It kills towing performance; get as high as you can find. Don't worry about an HD truck riding too "rough"; they are just a tad more harsh than a 1/2 ton but no issue. Don't buy too little truck looking to the future unless you have no issue with buying a larger truck at some point.

Just a few thoughts as you embark on your adventure. And yes, the question has been asked many times and will continue to be. Fire away with any others you come up with.
Thank you so much for the response... exactly the stuff I was looking for. I also for sure want a short bed. And good to know with the 2500 vs 3500. Problem is there seem to be ten 2500 for sale for every one 3500 for sale. So finding one (especially SRW) is difficult. In a perfect world I could find one used (2019+) that is still under warranty
I was also curious about the ride difference between 2500 vs 3500. I was under the impression the ride on 3500s were back breakers compared to the 2500 (and especially the 1500) but it sounds like with your experience, that isn't the case
Old 01-02-2021, 08:08 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

I think one of the most important considerations is whether this truck is to be a daily driver family hauler or used primarily for dragging around a trailer. Folks here get all enthusiastic when helping a newer member spend their money bwhahahahaha That trailer you are considering could likely be pulled by a somewhat less that one ton and you will have to decide if you may in the future be looking to drag a huge camper down the road. I personally never buy new campers or trucks (I am fairly poor) so looking for a used truck may not be a bad idea. I have a 2006 and bought it for $7K and have put about $4K into it in the last couple years to make it 100 percent reliable. That allowed me to pay cash and not take out a note.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:59 AM   #10
JDDilly

You also have to look at what is ahead the next few years. I needed to upgrade my TV and because we are looking at retirement in 2 years, I bought a "tow truck". I got a RAM 3500 DRW to have a robust truck with excess capacity. For now we don't tow a lot and it is my daily driver.

You need to figure out what is right for you weighing all current and upcoming situations. Get what works for you and your pocket book.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:00 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhoads23 View Post
Thank you so much for the response... exactly the stuff I was looking for. I also for sure want a short bed. And good to know with the 2500 vs 3500. Problem is there seem to be ten 2500 for sale for every one 3500 for sale. So finding one (especially SRW) is difficult. In a perfect world I could find one used (2019+) that is still under warranty
I was also curious about the ride difference between 2500 vs 3500. I was under the impression the ride on 3500s were back breakers compared to the 2500 (and especially the 1500) but it sounds like with your experience, that isn't the case

The 2500 vs 3500 is a moot point if you don't need the payload. That's why trying to look into your "crystal ball" is important. If like me all I see are clouds in mine so I never know what tomorrow holds. If you indeed think you will never want a bumper pull that weighs over 10,000 lbs. gvw (tongue weight = 13% of 10,000 lbs. = 1300 lbs.) a gas 3/4 ton will do the job. My last 3/4 had a 3190 payload as I recall. It's all about what you plan to throw on the back of the truck - and remember that 5th wheels calculate at 20-25% of gvw for pin weight vs the lower bumper pull.

As just a thought on the ride differences between a 3/4 vs 1 ton SRW HD truck. They both have 80psi LT tires sitting in the back under an unloaded bed - not going to be much difference in the jolt. I just air the tires down when unloaded.

Availability of the 3500 is less than the 2500 that's for sure, and depending on where you are in the country a 3500 could be rare as hen's teeth. If you truly think that a large trailer is "way down the road" or so far out there that you can't see it or a current truck would age out - go with the 3/4. It will accommodate up to about what I mentioned. I know right now contemplating a 10k trailer seems like it would be huge, but after you get used to being in them with growing kids it might not seem that large later on. Just be sure and look at the yellow sticker inside the driver door for the payload; different variations/trim of the same model can cause large deviations in that number. For a 3/4 gas I would look for something with at least 3100 or so. A decked out Laramie or Limited (Ram) will run less but they have lots of gidget/gadgets that may not be useful to you (as I seem to find - still don't know how to make 1/2 the things this truck has work ).
Old 01-02-2021, 11:25 AM   #12
jrhoads23

I just went a test drove a 3/4 at the dealer today. I was shocked at how nice the ride was - mainly because I was expecting the worst. So that is a pleasant surprise and confirms what people have been saying.
Looking inside the door it was 3044 lb. They had a new 3500 gasser there that just sold and was unlocked. I checked that door and it was 3988 lb.

Do the 2500 and 3500 have the same frame and ride height? It might have just been the visual appearance of having the two tone paint, step bars, nicer wheels, ... but the 3500 seemed to be a "larger" truck and you would sit higher off the road
Old 01-02-2021, 11:31 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Obviously it will depend on brand model etc. but my 3/4 Ram and 1 ton both went into my garage with about the same clearances. Both 4x4 SWB and same size tires. The 1 ton MIGHT have been a tiny bit longer (maybe 1/2 - 1") or MAYBE 1/2" higher but that's it. As you saw, the payloads can be quite different and depending on what your future plans are, quite significant. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2021, 11:36 AM   #14
jrhoads23

Looking at some on Ram's website, do these 2500 / 3500 require premium fuel? They have "Premium unleaded" listed as the recommended fuel - which would be a kick to the gut
Old 01-02-2021, 12:15 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Looking at some on Ram's website, do these 2500 / 3500 require premium fuel? They have "Premium unleaded" listed as the recommended fuel - which would be a kick to the gut
I run mine on 87 all the time. If I am going to be towing in the mountains (see trailer) I will run premium but don't have to.
Old 01-02-2021, 04:21 PM   #16
Hankster

Sourdough has pretty good advice. There was a fellow on the Ramforumz that was in Oregon , and had the 6.4 with the 373 gears. He was pulling a pretty good sized bumper pull no problems in the hills and mountains of Oregon.

In my experience with the new 8 speeds on my 1/2 ton anyways. It pulls a camp trailer roughly the same GVW as your 23 outback. My limitation is that its at max payload with just the wife and I . If I was packing for 2 growing kids, I'd definitely upgrade to a 2500, I may, or may not choose to go 4.10 gears.
Do you foresee upgrading trailers In the near future? Unless you go really big over 9,0000 gvw a 3.73 geared 6.4 should be fine if thats what you find a deal on. Wisconsin isn't the same as Oregon, or Idaho, or Montana.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:46 AM   #17
sonofcy

Quote:
Looking to upgrade to a Ram 2500 and looking for some advice. Would love a diesel but most likely going with a gasser (cost). And I am pretty much set on a 2019+ Ram 2500 (open to a 3500). Getting something with 4WD and crew cab. Do not want DRW.

Wife and I along with two little ones. We currently have a Outback 23RS. No immediate plans to upgrade camper but I could see us getting something a little larger down the road. We go 6-10 times a year and usually stay within 150 miles from home. When not camping will be a daily driver with mostly short commutes (20 miles or less)

My question is what should I be looking for (or what should I be steering clear of) in terms of transmission, gears, anything else ... ?
Or given our habits, does none of this matter *all that much* to the point I should just look for the best deal out there?

Thanks!

P.S. I apologize if this has all been asked before. If so, please shoot me some links for further reading
Every truck made today can PULL your trailer, it's the PAYLOAD that will trip you up. ONLY the yellow sticker on the drivers side door frame will tell you the truth. That payload is for EVERTTHING added after the factory. ALL humans, all stuff in the side pockets, tool box, hitch, fuel. The easy way is to load the truck as if you were going away and get it weighed. Subtract that number from GVWR and that is your pin weight or tongue weight. To be safe a 1 ton 350 or 3500 is best bet. Only need a dually if you are planning on a 40' 16,000 lb RV in the next 10 years or so. I drive a 450 as my only vehicle, no problems.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:58 AM   #18
Firegod

Just saw this posted on a Dodge Ram four this morning. Sane advice I was given by a Dodge mechanic.
I have nothing to pump myself up with. I am just an average run of the mill Jarhead from up the Mountain.

But it takes 3 licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop.

To be full disclosure...the Cummins is the Better engine. Hands down. But in a 2500 it does not make the better truck.

You are wasting the 8 to 11k buy in when that Cummins is in a 2500.

5500 dual rear wheel towing everyday...do not even waste your time with the HEMI.

2500 for a mainly daily driver...get the Hemi

2500 to sport your macho image...get the HEMI. (Oh wait that is the CUMMINS image lol)

2500 taking the family camping a couple weekends a summer...get the Hemi.

2500 going off road....get the Hemi.

3500 SRW...consider both leaning towards a Hemi

3500 DRW...consider both leaning towards a Cummins

3500 DRW towing 20k...GET THE CUMMINS.

In 2013 when I got my Cummins the 5.7l Hemi just did not compare.

In 2021 the 6.4l 8 speed auto and 4.10 gears has changed the playing field. 2500 truck...with a 10k trailer...it is a wash. Start getting near 15k...leveled playing field. Get over 15k...you need a 3500 DRW anyways to be quite honest. And then the Cummins shines.

And at the end of the day. The truck is exactly the same. So the Cummins team and Hemi team are running the same truck.

Hardly any truck has catastrophic failures anymore. And you only really hear about them on internet forums. But when that catastrophic failure happens...once again the HEMI is worlds cheaper to make whole again.
Firegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:27 AM   #19
dronning

Not sure about WI but in MN there is a huge tax savings when you go to a 3500.
We had a GMC 2500HD on order but it wouldn't have been in until April. 3 things happened, we bought a bigger 5th wheel toy hauler than we had planned , a 3500HD with all the options I wanted on the 2500 was delivered to the dealer and the "employee" discounts ($8K) just started. I needed to upgrade to the 3500HD so that was a no-brainer, but I was surprised to find out the 1 ton license plate was over $700 less than the 3/4 ton too.
- Dave

OH and get the diesel.
dronning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:07 AM   #20
Ccrew

Is my feeble brain failing me? I thought the 2500 RAM was coil springs rear and the 3500 leaf springs?
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, upgrade