Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2020, 06:42 AM   #1
Skippy38

Black Tank Flusher Noise

Ok, so usually when I empty the black tank and run the tank flusher I can hear the water and also the buzz of the flusher from the tank location. Today, the buzzing noise was very loud and seemed to be coming from behind and under the bathroom sink. I could feel the sink water lines vibrating a lot and noticed a few drops of water leaking from them. Any idea what is going on?
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:54 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post
Ok, so usually when I empty the black tank and run the tank flusher I can hear the water and also the buzz of the flusher from the tank location. Today, the buzzing noise was very loud and seemed to be coming from behind and under the bathroom sink. I could feel the sink water lines vibrating a lot and noticed a few drops of water leaking from them. Any idea what is going on?
Do you have a good quality water regulator connected? The water you are seeing could be coming from the backflow preventer valve or one of the hose fittings. The only way to know is to visualize the fitting up behind the bathroom sink. If you have a neck like a giraffe you can look up under there or use a mirror, or your cell phone. I have an inexpensive bore scope for that purpose.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:56 AM   #3
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Wild guess is that your check valve is broken or malfunctioning. It is located under your sink. Look for two white water lines behind the sink. One may have the end painted black. If so, that one would be the one that heads to the tank but it seems that convention is not always followed. Where they connect at the top is your check valve. Note which way it is installed in case you need to replace it. Keep us posted on what you find.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:01 AM   #4
Skippy38

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Do you have a good quality water regulator connected? The water you are seeing could be coming from the backflow preventer valve or one of the hose fittings. The only way to know is to visualize the fitting up behind the bathroom sink. If you have a neck like a giraffe you can look up under there or use a mirror, or your cell phone. I have an inexpensive bore scope for that purpose.
I do not. I have one of those cheap 40psi regulators on the main water line but run with no regulator to the tank flusher. Could the pressure be too high to the tank flusher? I ordered an adjustable water pressure regulator from Amazon and should have it installed for both lines today so I will let you know about the results...
Old 12-06-2020, 07:03 AM   #5
Skippy38

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCMan View Post
Wild guess is that your check valve is broken or malfunctioning. It is located under your sink. Look for two white water lines behind the sink. One may have the end painted black. If so, that one would be the one that heads to the tank but it seems that convention is not always followed. Where they connect at the top is your check valve. Note which way it is installed in case you need to replace it. Keep us posted on what you find.
I can see the white lines going to each side, hot and cold. Since I do not have a good quality pressure regulator installed could I just be overloading the flush valve? New regulator is going in today...
Old 12-06-2020, 07:13 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Since it worked in past I don't see how the valve could be reversed. It may have failed but typically when they fail you have a large volume of water escaping. I'd wait for the new regulator, install it and visually check for leaks while the water is running.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:51 AM   #7
maccam1

I had this happen to me
there was water leaking from under the shower
what the problem was,there was a stink bug stuck
in the check valve.
maccam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:45 AM   #8
ChuckS

A new Water pressure regulator is not the issue at hand.. The cheap OEM plastic anti siphon valve is junk.. remove it and replace with one like is in the link or cut it out and shark bite couple the two lines together..

ITs dripping now and will only get worse and flood your RV

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Cash-Acme-B...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:24 AM   #9
Skippy38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
A new Water pressure regulator is not the issue at hand.. The cheap OEM plastic anti siphon valve is junk.. remove it and replace with one like is in the link or cut it out and shark bite couple the two lines together..

ITs dripping now and will only get worse and flood your RV

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Cash-Acme-B...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
I suspected that this may be the problem. I have no issue with changing it myself as I do all of my own maintenance on this rig, but if I don't use the tank flusher will it continue to leak or only leak when it is used? Or do I even need the valve? Seems like I can just connect the two lines with a 1/2" connector and totally eliminate the problem...
Old 12-06-2020, 09:46 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post
I suspected that this may be the problem. I have no issue with changing it myself as I do all of my own maintenance on this rig, but if I don't use the tank flusher will it continue to leak or only leak when it is used? Or do I even need the valve? Seems like I can just connect the two lines with a 1/2" connector and totally eliminate the problem...

Just eliminate it. Put a couple of 90 shark bites up there and just bypass where it is. Get you a cheap anti siphon valve and put it on the inlet if you want to.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:05 PM   #11
Skippy38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Just eliminate it. Put a couple of 90 shark bites up there and just bypass where it is. Get you a cheap anti siphon valve and put it on the inlet if you want to.
UPDATE: I finally got around to eliminating the failing anti siphon valve and replaced it with threaded CPVC fittings. Works great with no leaking or noise. I did a nice Youtube video on it and posted it on a few RV groups on Facebook. I was promptly called dangerous and irresponsible for showing people how to eliminate vital safety systems on their RVs lol.
what they dont know is that I have 2 other backflow preventers on the main line so it cant backflow so we are safe. We live in our rig fulltime but I guess everyone on Facebook is an expert these days. Haters are gonna hate....

Tags
black tank, tank