Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
wincrasher

Is This Truck Adequate ??

I got my truck!

2500HD LTZ with Duramax Diesel. Very impressed with this truck. It is big though!

The deal was terrific - got it around invoice price, including a spray in bedliner, plus a small rebate and 0% financing for 60 months.

According to the computer, it's getting 16 mpg in town. That is pretty great for something so big!

Now to pick out a trailer. I found an 2012 Outback 298RE that is marked down from $37k to $27k. Looks like a good buy - like the floorplan alot. Seems to be all weather capabable, but not sure. Kinda worried that the carrying capacity is only 1550 lbs. Is that enough?
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
justduit2

Good to hear you made out on the truck purchase! That should be more than adequate for the Outback you're looking at.

I would be wary of the carrying capacity too. With 60 gals. gray and 30 gals. black, both tanks full would be about 750 lbs. Add in about 360 for a full load of fresh water, and you're down to about 450 lbs. for everything else.

Traveling with empty tanks, no problem, but in my limited experience, I've found that sometimes it just works better to travel with full tanks.

Just my .02

Mark

2011 Laredo 275SBH
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD QC LB
justduit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
wincrasher

Doubt I'd ever travel with full gray and black tanks, but I can see having full water.

But food, clothing, sports equip, etc, you are right, it's not much left.

Be interesting to know if it's just the axles and could be upgraded, or is the structure the limiting factor. Seems unfortunate to me, that such an otherwise quality unit would have such a low carry.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
GMcKenzie

I have a 30 RKS and I have found I either want my fresh or my black and gray full to help with tongue weight. Was pulling into Vegas with the tanks empty and ruined some shorts. Left town (also windy) full and it was a better pull.

My carrying cap is 1610 and I have not had an issue yet.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
jq1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post

I got my truck!

2500HD LTZ with Duramax Diesel. Very impressed with this truck. It is big though!

The deal was terrific - got it around invoice price, including a spray in bedliner, plus a small rebate and 0% financing for 60 months.

According to the computer, it's getting 16 mpg in town. That is pretty great for something so big!

Now to pick out a trailer. I found an 2012 Outback 298RE that is marked down from $37k to $27k. Looks like a good buy - like the floorplan alot. Seems to be all weather capabable, but not sure. Kinda worried that the carrying capacity is only 1550 lbs. Is that enough?
Now that is a kick a.s truck. I can say that (as you know) because I got one. Congratulations Wincrasher, I hope you're as happy down the road as I am. Regarding carrying capacity you're fine unless you carry excessive amounts of "stuff". Traveling with your 3 tanks empty helps. In winter weather you're ok below zero, buy the wind & other factors come into play.
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
jq1031

One more follow up! A good WD hitch with sway control will be the final step after you buy that TT. In my opinion the Reese Dual Cam is right up there with the best, however, sometimes like in my situation modifications to the battery box were required to install that set up so I went with friction bars (two) instead.
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
CarKath

Quote:
Carrying capacity is only 1550 lbs.
On the trailer?

I think if you read your door post ,on gross, you will really see where your at.

You do need to check door post and check your gross allowed.

Take the trailer for a test pull. On the way,stop at a scale and see how it scales out.

Then you know before you buy.

Many truck stops have certified scales, probably your best bet.
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #8
W5WI

Load capacity vs tow capacity are different factors. I believe you are looking at two things. Your truck with have a max towing weight and a max tongue weight. There are several ways to check tongue weight and your dealer or as suggested a local weight station can help with both questions.

Air shocks help if your tongue weight is close to load capacity.
2017 Ford F-250 4X4 CC 6.7 diesel

W5WI is offline   Reply With Quote