Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2011, 03:58 AM   #1
wrighfr58

Ford F250 Education Needed

I just obtained a 2008 F250 King Ranch to tow my new 2012 Laredo 335TG. I noticed a couple of things towing this after delivery.

1. Seems the Factory Brake Controller is a challenge to set.
2. When in the Tow/Haul mode braking seems to be rough. Is this because of the Diesel Brake conflicting with the Brake contriller?
3. I hear about Air Bags. Any opinions?

Any other helpul hints would be appreciated.
wrighfr58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighfr58 View Post
I just obtained a 2008 F250 King Ranch to tow my new 2012 Laredo 335TG. I noticed a couple of things towing this after delivery.

1. Seems the Factory Brake Controller is a challenge to set.
2. When in the Tow/Haul mode braking seems to be rough. Is this because of the Diesel Brake conflicting with the Brake contriller?
3. I hear about Air Bags. Any opinions?

Any other helpul hints would be appreciated.
Hi and welcome to the forum.
First question. I cannot answer since I have an aftermarket brake controller.
Second question. I do not think the 2008 Ford truck has a factory installed exhaust brake on the 6.4L engines. (could be wrong)

What the Tow/Haul mode does is change the transmission program to provide different shift points. Some users find this to be harsher than the stock program.
I use my tow/haul to start out only and then turn it off. I will engage the tow/haul mode in the mountains to help slow the load down.
A diesel exhaust brake will not have any conflict with the brake controller. Since the brake controller applies the trailer brakes only and has no interface with the vehicle brakes.

Third question. Air bags will help level the load, they will not increase the load carrying capacity of the truck. I have them on my truck and use them to level the truck as the pin weight of the 5er is applied to the rear axle.
I ran one towing season without them to see if I need to install them. I found out that the nose of the truck was pointing up slightly, so I installed them.

I would check out this site for more information on Ford diesel trucks. http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
jrp

I have not had any issues with the stock bake controller, not sure what you mean by "challenge to set". Its just a sensitivity setting, maybe the issue is with your trailer brakes, they need to be adjusted, even when new.

My 2008 Super Duty F250 Lariat 6.4L does have an engine brake thats engaged in tow/haul mode, maybe thats what youre feeling. Shifting up & down is a bit rougher in tow/haul also.

I use rear air bags and by keeping the tow vehicle & RV level, they help to keep the load distributed evenly. Towing nose up shifts more of the load to the rear axle, which is likely already near capacity.
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
wrighfr58

JRP

Thanks! What TP are you running in your front and rear when towing? What is the make and model of your rear air bags?

2008 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.4L Diesel
wrighfr58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:47 PM   #5
jrp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighfr58 View Post
JRP

Thanks! What TP are you running in your front and rear when towing? What is the make and model of your rear air bags?
When towing my small Raptor, I have the max cold pressure, 80 psi, in both fornt & rear, since I'm near the max loading.
I used the Firestone Ride Rite rear air bags, installed them myself with no issues other than the cheap tubing in the kit, tends to leak if not cut perfectly square at the connections. I didnt bother with a built in air compressor since I always carry a portable air compressor.
I also upgraded my shocks at the same time to a heavier rated set.
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote