Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2019, 10:45 AM   #1
Rayray04

Battery charging

Hello I have a 2019 cougar 369BHS,, seems as tho when I’m hooked up to truck my batteries aren’t been charged. All my lights on camper works together with trailer brakes , I was under the impression the truck charging system would do both - truck and camper
Rayray04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:02 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Nowhere have you listed what brand or model truck you have, so anything suggested in a "best guess" based on generalities....

Most truck have a "under hood fuse" that controls the trailer charge line output. On some trucks, that fuse is shipped "in a package in the glove compartment" and is not installed until delivery to the customer. Some dealerships don't remember to install the fuse, so your truck may not have the "charge circuit activated"....

Given that, even if the fuse is installed, you've got about 30' of 12/14 gauge wire from the voltage regulator on the truck back to the two plugs (one behind the 7 way and one at the 7 way) plus 8-10' of 12/14 gauge wire from the 7 way plug to the battery cable circuit breaker.

So, the very best you can expect from your tow vehicle is little more than a "trickle charger output" through the nearly 40' of relatively small wire. Also, remember, your tow vehicle voltage regulator is wired to recharge your truck starting battery and when that battery is fully recharged (usually 20-30 minutes after starting the engine) then the voltage from the alternator will drop to a "maintain voltage" and that further reduces the "charge capacity" to the trailer batteries....

Essentially, don't count on much charging capacity from your tow vehicle. Even with a full day's towing (8-10 hours) you'll seldom see a significant charge on a multiple battery trailer system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:10 PM   #3
Rayray04

Thank you,, thought I had a problem but that makes sense
Rayray04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery