Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2019, 04:34 AM   #1
slow

Landing Gear Lift Range

Started looking at small FWs as our next unit. Given our sloped driveway, having enough lift is important to me to allow leveling to operate slide and fridge.

What is the typical maximum powered lift of the landing gear, not the manual adjustment to drop the feet?

eTrailer’s replacements suggest around 19”. Is that about right? I estimate I need around 12”.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:26 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Sounds about right. If you only need 12” you shouldn’t have any problems.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:50 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Mine are around that 19" mark. Just remember, it's 19" from TOP to BOTTOM, that's 9.5" from center to top or bottom, so where you start will determine how much lift capacity you have. Sometimes we wind up in a site where the nose has to be lower than hitch height. In those sites, I leave the extension legs in the up position, extend the electric legs out as far as I think I'll need, then extend the pinned legs, lift the nose with the electric legs, unhitch, then use the electric legs to retract to "nose low" as needed.

It does it tricky when trying to hitch again, but unless the legs "sink in the sand" if it was high enough to unhitch, it'll be high enough to rehitch.

Anyway, as Chuck said, you should be OK with any OEM landing gear as far as extension goes.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:05 AM   #4
mtofell

Unless you have a really steep driveway, you should be okay. My driveway slopes down in back so when my 5th is parked the king pin only about 36" off the ground. I can't remember what the hitch height is but about 18" or so of travel with the motors sounds about right. I pretty much use every inch of travel. I've had to mark a "warning stripe" at the top of the range to prevent popping the fuse from over-running the jacks. You'll likely have to play around with it a bit to get it just right. Once you do it's pretty easy - just remember (or write down on your fence like I did) the hole number on each side to put the manual part of the landing gear pin into. Be ready, the jack take a looooong time to raise through the range of motion.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #5
slow

Landing Gear Lift Range

Thanks for all the info. Reads like I should be ok. But I now need a second wooden block cut at the 5 degrees so the foot is on a horizontal top surface.

Yep, took the plunge today on a new 2018 Jayco 265BHS that the DW wanted to better accommodate the granddaughters. Wanted the 2018 since the 2019 and 2020s where cost reduced more that I liked.
It was slim pickings and took a flight to Alberta to look at three. Still here actually. One was worthy of purchase, barely.

Back with the TV in three weeks.

Good thing Thor now includes Jayco. I may not get chased off this forum, lol.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
landing gear