Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2019, 04:25 PM   #1
GMcKenzie

Question on suspension mounting bolts

I decided against a wet bolt kit and am putting in Never Fail bushings.

My only issue is how the crap do you get the bolts back in where the springs mount to the frame? I can't for the life of me get them lines up straight enough that the collar goes the the hole on the other side. I've got one of 4 I'm happy with.

Is there a decent trick to this? The threads come through but the collar just buts up against the hanger and won't go through.

Not sure if I'm explaining my issue clearly. I have no problem with the equalizer ends.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:55 AM   #2
Sulphur1

Not quite sure about your question. There should be no force on the suspension / spring so have 5er jacked up with wheels off & axle removed from spring plate. You can now locate hanger bolt with spring hanger & slide it through with bushing in position until the straight knurled section on the collar is reached. If the bolt is being re-installed it can be aligned with the groove in the bushing. I just use a big G clamp on bolt the head with a long socket on the foot side and screw it in until the bolt head is seated. Remove & fit nut. Hope this helps
Sulphur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:07 AM   #3
cookinwitdiesel

If you do not mind, why did you shy away from wet bolts? That was one of my planned upgrade on new trailer once I sell the current one.

Thanks!
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:58 AM   #4
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulphur1 View Post
Not quite sure about your question. There should be no force on the suspension / spring so have 5er jacked up with wheels off & axle removed from spring plate. You can now locate hanger bolt with spring hanger & slide it through with bushing in position until the straight knurled section on the collar is reached. If the bolt is being re-installed it can be aligned with the groove in the bushing. I just use a big G clamp on bolt the head with a long socket on the foot side and screw it in until the bolt head is seated. Remove & fit nut. Hope this helps
I've got all 4 wheels off, with one side connected (not 100% happy and will re-do) and jacks under the axles. It seems to put enough pressure on the axles that I can't move the opposite side.

Which has me thinking get rid of the jack under the axles and just support the frame.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:00 AM   #5
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
If you do not mind, why did you shy away from wet bolts? That was one of my planned upgrade on new trailer once I sell the current one.

Thanks!
I pulled one side apart before making the call. My plastic bushing looked in good shape for 9 years of wear, so I just went with the cheaper option. The brass bushings looked near new, but I did decide to swap them.

I won't be keeping this trailer forever and these will do me fine for a few more years.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:01 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

We use a 2X4 across the bottom of the axles and a floor jack. It allows us to maneuver the entire assembly as needed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote