Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2019, 02:58 PM   #1
Stumpy75

Merlefest anyone?

I'm just finishing a great time here. Amazing music! Anyone else here?

https://merlefest.org/
Stumpy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:19 AM   #2
notanlines

Stumpy, maybe tell us a little about the facilities. I looked at the entertainment and "How could you go wrong?" Easy access, good facilities, that kind of thing maybe.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:13 AM   #3
Stumpy75

The festival itself is held on a community college campus. They take over the whole campus. There are 12 stages going at once, with some sound overlap on the outdoor stages(but not much!). They use a lot of the indoor venues too, and this is where the music can be a lot more fun. This is the most well organized festival I have ever attended. A LOT of thought has gone into how to manage a large crowd, and keep it fun for everyone. The stages sound is all run by Nashville sound people, and they do know what they are doing. Sometimes, it gets a little loud, but not very often. Good music does NOT need to be loud! The caliber of the entertainment is, as you said, "how could you go wrong!".

The camping and parking is all off-site. There are shuttle buses that constantly run from the various off-site campgrounds to the festival. Each camping area has their own transportation to the festival grounds(free of charge/donation). Many are old school buses, but some are nicer.

There are basic campgrounds at Riversedge(dry camping, flat ground, the major off-site parking area also) and Sewerfest(dry camping, near the sewage plant, but a nice flat area). Then there are all the community organizations that seem to have their own camping areas. The local YMCA has a field with water and electric, and use of the Y when you camp there(think good showers, indoor pool, etc). The local VFW has something similar, as does the Wilkesboro FD. There are others that I don't know much about. There is a list of the campgrounds on the Merlefest page.

I stayed at the NORTH Wilkesboro VFD/Rotary campground. http://www.nwfd.us/merlefest_camping.htm This is different from the FD one in Wilkesboro. This is a smaller area that was built as a campground(65 30A/water sites), and dry camping on others. Also a large tent area. Free pumpout is available, as well as a dump station. Nice restrooms/showers, that are clean. Instead of old school buses, this site uses 15 passenger, air conditioned vans to transport you to the festival. They run every 1/2 hour, or more often if needed. If you have an emergency and need to get back to the campground, they have a number to call for a fast pickup. The firemen manage the campground, and are there 24 hours a day. Firewood is free, and delivered. You do need to rent a fire pan for $5 for the week from them. They have an indoor area for jamming/picking, which seems to happen each night.

There is no shade at most of the campgrounds.

This was my third year in a row at the North Wilkesboro campgrounds, and I'll be there next year too. They usually have 5-10 water/electric sites available each year, as people don't renew. Existing campers have the first renewal rights at this campground. There seemed to be some dry sites available this year. They will also rent the dry sites out by the DAY, not just the full festival. This is different than many/most of the other campgrounds.

So, all-in-all, I drive 550 miles(one way from Northern Ohio) to get to this festival. It's a great start to the music festival season(which is what I have my RV for). It's an amazing lineup of performers(that change some each year). I'll be back again next year.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:52 AM   #4
notanlines

Stumpy, your information has exceeded all expectations. Due to my dear BIL and his lack of timely reservations, we spent five nights camping at area 1C, formerly area 5, north end of Georgetown Blvd. Think 25-30 year-olds with a penchant for large speakers, pot, stripper poles, and rap music! He won't make that mistake again. We now take every precaution to ensure no repeats.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:10 AM   #5
Stumpy75

I would not be able to handle what you went through! That's not going to happen in the place I camp. It would be stopped by the firemen, as well as the local police, who seem to stop by fairly often. Maybe the 24 hour coffee pot has something to do with that! The firemen seem to use this weekend as a picnic, with a lot of them sitting near the gate with their families.

Usually, I go to festivals to jam, but the caliber of the shows here makes it a great listening festival. I don't go so much for the big acts on the main stage as I do the shows on the smaller stages. Much more intimate, and you get to see up and coming performers, as well as some who have been around for a long time. Wayne Henderson and Jeff Little come to mind when I say that, as well as Presley Barker. Then there is the young pickers band competition. Amazing talent there, and who knows, maybe some new stars!

Lots to see and do, and it's usually a LOT warmer weather than I'm getting at home. I left there at 58 degrees at 7am, and 13 hours later, arrived home to rain and 38 degrees...

2014 Keystone Outback 210TRS
2020 F150, 3.5l, 4x4, 3.55:1, Supercrew
Old 04-22-2022, 06:02 PM   #6
Stumpy75

Now that Merlefest has resumed, is anyone going this year?

Old 04-23-2022, 05:05 PM   #7
gearhead

I wouldn't mind seeing Emmylou Harris.
We used to go to Kerrville Folk Festival. Butch Hancock, Guy Clark, Jimmy Dale Gilmore, etc.
1980's-1990's.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 07:07 PM   #8
Stumpy75

Once again I'm starting the camping season at Merlefest. Anyone else headed that way in late April?