Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2019, 04:53 AM   #1
racetech

Duped on black tank:(

Recently purchased my first TT, a used 16 Passport. Bought it from a fairly new used rv dealer here in town. I let it sit for a couple weeks after purchase and just recently picked it up and brought it home. To my dismay I just noticed that the black tank is full to the brim. I cant believe I didnt think to check that before I bought it. Im going to give them a piece of my mind monday, and then im going to go empty it i guess, and unpleasant as it will be dumping someone elses tank. Im assuming there are no "Laws" against selling a rv like that, but more of common sense or good business practice to not sell an rv like that. No wonder it smells funny, I just assumed it was the rv antifreeze or something. Frustrated. Shame of them and shame on me for not noticing.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:38 AM   #2
busterbrown

That reminds me of a scene in the movie "RV".

Yes, I agree, it's a 'dirty' thing to do to a customer. But personally, I would just head over to your local sanitation department, dump it, and move on.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:42 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Your finding out what I already knew, not all RV dealers are on the up and up. But, one other possibility is he doesn’t have a dump station....just sayin.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:57 AM   #4
MarkEHansen

If the dealer doesn't have a dump station, he should have arranged for the tank to be dumped. There is no good reason for selling the trailer in that condition. How, for example, did the dealer make sure the dump valve worked? We know the answer...
Old 04-28-2019, 06:20 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

There are literally "HUNDREDS" of threads on this (and other brand (SOB) forums about the "inaccurate black tank sensors"....

I'd ask, "are you sure the black tank is full?" or is it possible that you're using the "typical tank gauge reading" which shows 4 lights, indicating full??????

You may be blaming the dealer for something that isn't even a problem.

I'd first go to a dump station, connect a sewer hose, pull the valve and see if anything comes out. The dealer may have dumped, cleaned, even sanitized (?) the tank and the only problem is a "fouled sensor probe"....

I'd urge you to do your homework before "heading to the dealership to raise hell" only to find that, "OOPS, I guess I didn't really check, I just ASSUMED"....

On the other hand, it is also entirely possible the dealership sold you a trailer AND a pile of crap (literally).....

In either case, I'd do some more checking before assuming.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:26 PM   #6
racetech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There are literally "HUNDREDS" of threads on this (and other brand (SOB) forums about the "inaccurate black tank sensors"....

I'd ask, "are you sure the black tank is full?" or is it possible that you're using the "typical tank gauge reading" which shows 4 lights, indicating full??????

You may be blaming the dealer for something that isn't even a problem.

I'd first go to a dump station, connect a sewer hose, pull the valve and see if anything comes out. The dealer may have dumped, cleaned, even sanitized (?) the tank and the only problem is a "fouled sensor probe"....

I'd urge you to do your homework before "heading to the dealership to raise hell" only to find that, "OOPS, I guess I didn't really check, I just ASSUMED"....

On the other hand, it is also entirely possible the dealership sold you a trailer AND a pile of crap (literally).....

In either case, I'd do some more checking before assuming.....
Well i am a TT novice but I do have some common sense fortunately. I noticed the smell is worse in bathroom, just smells like an open sewer pipe. So I opened the flush valve on toilet and I can see water pretty high up in tank. Kinda matches what the sensor is reading. And I can definetly hear some liquid moving around when I move trailer. So I believe my assumption is correct.

Now my only question is should I pick up some tank treatment and dump it in and let it sit a day or 2 before I dump it, help calm down the smell maybe?
Thanks
Old 04-28-2019, 05:39 PM   #7
Logan X

I have had very good luck with Happy Camper waste tank treatment. I talked to an RV repair guy that said it is what they use when someone brings them a trailer in the same condition as yours. It takes the smell away quickly. It is not a perfume that masks the smell, it is an enzyme that does some science on your tank. I’ve been using it for years.

https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Campers.../dp/B007S0H5DU
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:41 PM   #8
racetech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
I have had very good luck with Happy Camper waste tank treatment. I talked to an RV repair guy that said it is what they use when someone brings them a trailer in the same condition as yours. It takes the smell away quickly. It is not a perfume that masks the smell, it is an enzyme that does some science on your tank. I’ve been using it for years.

https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Campers.../dp/B007S0H5DU
Nice to see another endorsement for this product I ordered it earlier today after not finding it locally lol
Old 04-28-2019, 05:57 PM   #9
Hblick48

[QUOTE=Logan X;337579]I have had very good luck with Happy Camper waste tank treatment. I talked to an RV repair guy that said it is what they use when someone brings them a trailer in the same condition as yours. It takes the smell away quickly. It is not a perfume that masks the smell, it is an enzyme that does some science on your tank. I’ve been using it for years.

https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Campers.../dp/B007S0H5DU[/QUOTE

X2 on Happy Camper. Started using about a year ago. Much better than anything else that I have used in the past. Used their heavy duty treatment first to clean tank.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:37 AM   #10
Brentw

Disappointing.... sure. Worth a drive to chew someone out......not really.
But, if it's a new business, they may not give their used units a full walk thru, perhaps mention it as a learning tool for them.
I've met sales persons who have never owned an rv, you don't know what they don't know.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:06 AM   #11
racetech

I did not do any chewing out, but I did speak to my salesman by phone. He apologized and said that the tank should have been emptied before sale and passed the blame to someone else. But at least they know the dropped the ball. Maybe it will save someone else some hassle.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:31 AM   #12
Dbarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by racetech View Post

Now my only question is should I pick up some tank treatment and dump it in and let it sit a day or 2 before I dump it, help calm down the smell maybe?
Thanks
I would just dump it and put about 5 gallons of fresh treated water in before driving back.

I’m surprised the drain pipe survived the winter.
Years camping....54
Dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:40 PM   #13
racetech

I can tell you one thing. After 24 hours of having happy camper treatment in tank it no longer smells. Im amazed
Old 05-01-2019, 06:52 PM   #14
Logan X

Quote:
I can tell you one thing. After 24 hours of having happy camper treatment in tank it no longer smells. Im amazed
It’s either science or witchcraft. That stuff works good!
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:09 AM   #15
pdaniel

Quote:
Recently purchased my first TT, a used 16 Passport. Bought it from a fairly new used rv dealer here in town. I let it sit for a couple weeks after purchase and just recently picked it up and brought it home. To my dismay I just noticed that the black tank is full to the brim. I cant believe I didnt think to check that before I bought it. Im going to give them a piece of my mind monday, and then im going to go empty it i guess, and unpleasant as it will be dumping someone elses tank. Im assuming there are no "Laws" against selling a rv like that, but more of common sense or good business practice to not sell an rv like that. No wonder it smells funny, I just assumed it was the rv antifreeze or something. Frustrated. Shame of them and shame on me for not noticing.
When I traded my Cougar a couple of months ago the dealer representative stated up front the holding and fresh water tanks needed to be empty when I arrived to take delivery of my new RV. And they did check...
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:49 AM   #16
terrythetech

[QUOTE=Hblick48;337588]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post

https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Campers.../dp/B007S0H5DU[/QUOTE

X2 on Happy Camper. Started using about a year ago. Much better than anything else that I have used in the past. Used their heavy duty treatment first to clean tank.
X3 on Happy Camper! Found out about it from Rays videos on loveyourrv. Good stuff, nuff said.
terrythetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #17
BadmanRick

Tow it back and have that dealer dump it.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #18
racetech

Im assuming they bought it at auction and didnt check much. I found personal belongings under seats and in cabinets and such. I did get a good deal and got them way down on price so Im not complaining. If I was a business owner i wouldnt sell something in that condition though. But thats just me.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #19
huhhhhh

I'd take it back to the dealer in their parking lot and give them 2 options. Dump it or I will, either way I'm leaving here with an empty black tank.
See also: Wizard, Magician.

2012 Fuzion 405
huhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:58 PM   #20
Susan1955

I’m not surprised! Why don’t we name the RV service center that sells a trailer in this condition. I have had such bad service after the sale from Camping World in Mesa,AZ and we should hold them accountable.
Susan1955 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank