Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service/Support Kudos
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
anthonbloom

Exclamation 2010 Cougar Broken Springs

My Cougar 315 SAB was wearing rear tires on the inside down to the belts in 2000 km. My service dealer inspected the axles three times in the last year and said there was nothing wrong with them. I collected the trailer from them yesterday and towed 200km in pouring rain and strong winds and when I looked under the trailer at home...the left rear springs had all four leaves broken and separated by six inches and the other side had half the second spring missing and reversed camber. They even trimmed away a bit of the bodywork where the front wheel was peeling back the aluminium! Now I am waiting to them to send some new springs so that I can get somebody competent to make the trailer roadworthy. Meanwhile the dealer, Islander RV of Grand Falls Newfoundland still seem to be more concerned about getting someone else to take responsibility than getting me back on the road!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	August_2172.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	583   Click image for larger version

Name:	August_2173.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	584  
anthonbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
antiqfreq

Keep on them and make sure they pay ALL the bills as this is their responsibility.
Keep us posted!

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
bdaniel

Wow, you are lucky the axle did not come out from under the trailer. I had a similar problem with my previous Wildcat 5th wheel.

Broken Springs

Bobby
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
anthonbloom

Smile Fix it and Trade it Back!

The registered letter to the company owner seems to have helped get things straightened out. The dealer is sending four new springs and getting a local shop to do the repair in my driveway. As soon as that is done I'm returning the busted lemon and getting a 2012 version of the 3318SAB at a very reasonable price - including a $2,500 "loyalty bonus"! We really like the floorplan of this trailer and I am hoping that the beefier axles and 16" wheels will better carry the weight of the trailer. My math on the 2010 with 5200lb axles and GVW of 11,500lb tells me that the axles would be 1,100lb overweight at gross, of am I missing something?
Old 08-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

From what I can determine, the "new technology" figures axle weight/GVW differently than it did years ago. In "my day" the Axle rating was greater than the GVW. However, it appears that by today's calculations, it's axle rating plus tongue weight that figures into the GVW. For example, on my Springdale, the axles are 3500 lbs each which is 7,000 lbs, The GVW is 8100 lbs. The tongue weight "dry" is 1120, giving the trailer a GVW of 8120.

GO FIGURE !!!!! ????? at any rate, using that "logic" your trailer is probably figured at the two axle ratings plus the dry tongue weight.... See if that adds up for you?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
anthonbloom

That's what my dealer said - subtract the 1500lb pin weight, but logic tells me that when I hit a bump the pin is just a pivot and just about all the weight is being applied to the axles. If I was manufacturing a trailer to be pulled over the roads we have in North America these days, I would overbuild the axles and running gear for the safety of the owner, passengers and other road users.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:40 AM   #7
bdaniel

Check the tire ratings also. You will find that almost in every case the weight rating of the camper is the tongue rating plus the max of either the axles or the tires.

Bobby
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
gepaine

Min Not Max ?

I think it would be the Min not the Max of either the axles or the tires plus the tongue weight.

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
anthonbloom

Fixed and returned

Well, the guy from a local truck shop came and replaced all four springs with new ones fabricated locally and the dealer paid the costs. When the right axle was jacked up the spring parts fell out on the other side, the shackle dropped free and the axle was swinging free! Three days later I returned the 2010 and drove back with a 2012 318 SAB having negotiated a very reasonable price. I did a detailed inspection and then deposited the broken springs on the service desk and had words with all those responsible for the negligent axle inspection. I also got the $25.00 labour cost back for the axle inspection!!
The new trailer's axles seem more solid and the 16" wheels and beefier tires look much more appropriate and I have checked the torque and tire pressures. In fact the trailer is a big improvement with the extra access to the bathroom, entertainment center and somehow more room in the rear. The baggage doors are more solid and the door under the bedroom slide does not get caught when the slide closes like the 2010. I will still have to deal with Islander RV as they are the only service center that can deal with warranty work. I just hope that I have better luck with this one! Thanks for your support on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	August_2204.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	613   Click image for larger version

Name:	August_2209.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	614  
Old 08-31-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Glad to hear that you were able to successfully resolve this unfortunate axle problem. You are lucky to have come through this without any injuries to you and anyone who happened to be with you while you were pulling this behind you! I shudder to think what could have happened.
It would be interesting to hear what the service people at the dealership had to say when they were confronted with this.
Did the $2500 "loyalty bonus" come from Keystone or from the dealership?
I will give you credit but not sure if I would be in a hurry to get right back into RVing and especially with another Keystone. Good for you! Enjoy your new Cougar!
Old 09-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #11
anthonbloom

Shake Down went well

Just back from a weekend in the new rig. The 2012 SAB318 has fixed most of the niggling annoyances in the 2010 model, notably a much improved stance and ride with the new axles and larger wheels and much less jiggling when set up. The improved bedroom with the dresser and pass trough to the bathroom is great and the entertainment center is much better than the swing arm tv in the 2010. I'm glad I made the change although I would have preferred a different incentive!
Old 09-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

None of us need that kind of motivation! However, it appears as though everything has come full circle and; by the results of your shakedown trip, a terrific outcome. Enjoy.