Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2019, 02:35 PM   #1
John F

Truck bouncing a bit

Hi I have a new GMC 2018 2500HD and Sprinter Campfire 29FEBH. When driving on a bumpy road it is bouncy. Has anyone had this issue and a a solution? Was thinking I could change to Ranch9000 series shocks to adjust stiffness when towing?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
MattHelm21

Years ago, I had a 2000 crew cab dually Silverado that was very bouncy due to a heavy fifth wheel with a comparitively light pin. Of the big three, I think it was also the least capable truck in its class. I tried Rancho9000 shocks which made very little difference. The best I was able to achieve was installing Bilstein 5100 shocks and loading everything but the kitchen sink in the front of that trailer when towing.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:42 PM   #3
rhagfo

I would look at what Matt stated, increase pin weight to about 20% to 22%, also look at a set of Bilstein 5100 shocks they work with 0” lift.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:55 AM   #4
Fishsizzle

I have the 5100 on all three of my rigs, great shock.

Also, both my F150 and F250 have upgraded Hellwig rear sway bars, on the stiffest setting. It took a lot of “cushy” slop and roll out of the rear of the trucks. It was a night a s day moment.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:22 PM   #5
lunge motorsport

Here's my 2 cents in regard to Bilstein shock absorbers.

Yes the 5100 series shock will work but, per Bilstein technical, that unit is valved softer in compression and rebound dampening and is more suited for the desired articulation of a lifted vehicle. Lifted vehicles typically have greater suspension travel and Bilstein has designed that shock for that application. The 4600 series shock is specifically designed for the demand of a stock vehicle with towing considerations. After researching the available info I decided to install the 4600 series on my stock height TV.
Cheers!
Old 02-04-2019, 06:51 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunge motorsport View Post
Here's my 2 cents in regard to Bilstein shock absorbers.

Yes the 5100 series shock will work but, per Bilstein technical, that unit is valved softer in compression and rebound dampening and is more suited for the desired articulation of a lifted vehicle. Lifted vehicles typically have greater suspension travel and Bilstein has designed that shock for that application. The 4600 series shock is specifically designed for the demand of a stock vehicle with towing considerations. After researching the available info I decided to install the 4600 series on my stock height TV.
Cheers!
I recently upgraded? to the 5100s on my signature vehicle at 70k. Thought I would see some sort of difference since I had towed with the OEMs for 4 years - none. I did get to spend several hundred dollars. The 5100s were advertised for a minimum of a 2" lift if I recall. The 4600 was billed as something for OEM. Went with the 5100s due to all the reviews...my 70k OEMs were just as good when I took them off. The Bilsteins did weigh more and look cool, but, in real life, they didn't do a thing for us..in fact, as I drive puppy out to the bay every day and hit the same old dip in the road, I swear the 5100s come very close to bottoming out vs the OEMs that just "bumped" over it. Wish I had my money back.....
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote