Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2018, 11:25 AM   #1
Freynolds

Suburban SW6DEL heater element

I'm having trouble with the electric heating element in my Suburban SW6DEL. When I bought the trailer, the element did not work. I replaced it, filled the tank before turning it on, and had hot water. Problem solved - for one shower. Then it quit working and I was back to propane.

I've now checked the switch at exterior panel, which tested ok with a volt meter. I visually checked the thermostat and element switch at the exterior panel - the little sacrificial rods were all intact. I pulled the element and put the volt meter on - 0 ohms. I understand that means it is bad, which troubles me as I've used it exactly once. Does anyone have any ideas why the new element might have failed so quickly? I replaced it was part number 520900, and notice there is an older part number, too - 520789. Is that relevant? Is there something else I should be checking that I have neglected? Thanks,

Forrest
Freynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:49 AM   #2
bobbecky

Either number should be just fine. Maybe you just got a defective element.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater