Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2017, 02:09 PM   #1
benny53

waste tank drain valve

I have a 2017 Montana 3661RL. I have been told by Campingworld that each holding tank has it's own drain valve. I have pulled the black tank and the gray tank release valves, I let them empty, nothing coming out, but one of my black tank moniters shows 3/4 full. Where are all of the holding tanks drain valves ? Thanks
benny53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:04 PM   #2
Edwester03

We have a 2014 mountaineer 375flf. On the left side of the coach near the back we have the waste management compartment. In there we have a black and grey tank dump valve. That's the only valves I'm aware of. When parked I leave the grey tank open almost all the time. If I just dump the black tank and close it when it stops it will almost always tell me I still have 3/4 of a tank. In your convinience center where you hook up to city water or fill the fresh tank there should be a connection for a tank flush or power flush. That goes directly into the top of the black tank. Think of a fire extinguisher system in a building. It sprays water to rinse the sides. Ive been told by several people the sensors can get a peice of tp stuck to them and give you a false reading. When I dump I let the black tank drain. While its draining I turn on the water to the tank flush and leave it running. Once the black water starts to clear up I close the dump valve for a minute or 2 and let her too all over again. You'd be surprised how much more comes out when you think its empty. Once I feel like I got it all I shut the water off and let it slow to a trickle then close the black tank. Ive found it really cuts down on the smells too. Sorry for the long winded post.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
Edwester03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:06 AM   #3
kench

In my experiences with 5 fifth wheel units the level gauges are rarely if ever are accurate We have a 2016 unit and can empty all tanks including fresh water and can show various degrees of fullness. I am going to leave all vales open and put a single manual valve right at the end of the outlet which you attach to your hose. Then I don't have to depend on any wires etc to open and close the valves which can also be a pain. Let you know how this works out. I can try and monitor the fresh water tank on my own via my failing memory which will probably be more accurate than the gauges.
kench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:25 AM   #4
Tinner12002

Not sure how well it would work but I'm thinking of seeing if my outside shower/water hookup that is located in my convenience center would have enough pressure running off of onboard water pump would work hooking it to black tank flush maybe for a quick shot to clean off sensors possibly. That could be your issue of having paper or something on sensors causing faulty readings.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:51 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
Not sure how well it would work but I'm thinking of seeing if my outside shower/water hookup that is located in my convenience center would have enough pressure running off of onboard water pump would work hooking it to black tank flush maybe for a quick shot to clean off sensors possibly. That could be your issue of having paper or something on sensors causing faulty readings.
As long as you have water in the fresh tank, the pump should provide enough pressure to operate the rinser.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:02 AM   #6
gearhead

Sounds like the tank sensors are just bad. Ours stay bad. I just know we can go about 5 days on the black tank before needing to dump.
I will say that Keystone has set the industry standard for hiding valves though. Usually the kitchen gray tank drain valve. Mine is pretty well hidden just in front of the axles. Bend over and look around there. Could be one there you haven't drained yet.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:19 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
It will probably work, but remember that if the anti-siphon valve leaks, you run the possibility of introducing black tank contents into your fresh water system. If that's a risk you're willing to accept, then go for it, but don't do it without at least considering the possible negatives you might introduce into your drinking water system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:18 PM   #8
Dave W

In my experience there is little chance of the as installed tank flusher being able to clean the sensors. I went so far as installing a SeeLevel system on the last 5er and this one, Horst (Valterra) Miracle sensors . The SeeLevel system works but can be a royal PITA to install. My 'cures' are a shove-down-the-toilet flush device and a Camco back flush fitting on the end of the drain. I also often use a macerator and that too has a back flush that works better then the Camco. Blow water in the outlet, let the tank about fill then drain. You will be amazed at how much more comes out after a heavy swirling action created by that fast inflow and done 3-4 times initially. That shove down the toilet device can be either a flex or rigid gadget tho I made my own, using a chunk of hose that was retired from service and a yard sprinkler head along with a hose shut off. Sprinkler heads come in several arcs from 90 to 360 degrees. I found 180* works well for me.

Now, with all that said, I did a major back flush on Monday with the Camco gadget and those Miracle sensors now read -- drum roll -- 2/3rds full and it was absolutely empty (I am still waiting for that miracle)
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:21 PM   #9
mazboy

the gagues suck. you have to just montior by remembering when you last drained the grey/black water.

use the gagues only as a guide.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:00 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

I will continue to say that with proper cleaning and maintance, the sensors will work as designed for the life of the RV.

I've seen my share of units that come on with "it always reads 2/3 or full" and giving the tank a proper cleaning, they work as designed from the factory.

My previous five was 13 1/2 years old when I sold it and they worked perfect.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:25 PM   #11
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I will continue to say that with proper cleaning and maintance, the sensors will work as designed for the life of the RV.

I've seen my share of units that come on with "it always reads 2/3 or full" and giving the tank a proper cleaning, they work as designed from the factory.

My previous five was 13 1/2 years old when I sold it and they worked perfect.

I'm of the opinion that where the sensors are installed in the tank has a bearing on how well they work. On our 5er the four sensors are on the back side of the tank and directly opposite the toilet flush line - quite possibly the worst possible place for reliable operation. If rearward slosh wont cover them, flushing the toilet will. I have been amazed at how tiny these sensors are with only a .25 dia x .062 height and are only held in the tank by rubber grommets
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #12
Portola1

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny53 View Post
I have a 2017 Montana 3661RL. I have been told by Campingworld that each holding tank has it's own drain valve. I have pulled the black tank and the gray tank release valves, I let them empty, nothing coming out, but one of my black tank moniters shows 3/4 full. Where are all of the holding tanks drain valves ? Thanks
I have a 2017 Montana. Black and Gray water valves are in the storage panel. Third (gray water) storage valve is above the left side rear wheel. Only accessible with the slide out.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
Portola1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, tank