Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #1
new tripper

outlet issues

Good evening everyone. I'm brand new to the RV community so please bare with me. I just bought a 2006 Keystone Cougar and non of my outlets are working except both GFI's. I have read other threads on here that have similar problems so I tried those fixes first like check and replace outlets, look for a hidden GFI, replace the battery (it was 7 years old) and nothing has worked. Would replacing the power converter be next? I've read that the fan on it should come on when powered up and mine does not. Any help would be great. You guys really seem to know your stuff.
new tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:53 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!!
Maybe an obvious question, you are plugged into shore power?

The power converter supplies 12VDC to the trailer and charges the battery(s). All of the outlets, microwave, TV, and the A/C require 110VAC. Only way to get it is to plug the shore cord in to a live 110VAC circuit.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:03 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Am I reading that you DO have AC at 2 GFI outlets but none of the others? If not, as Chuckster asked are you on shore power and is it verified? Does the microwave work? TV? Basically, do any of the AC items work?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:18 PM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

chuckster57 has described how your different devices are powered in an RV. as stated those plugs that you identified require 110 VAC to be supplied to the RV. Since you claim 2 GFI plugs are working some 110 VAC is being applied to your RV. Based on this I would check and make sure all the 110 VAC breakers in the distribution panel are turned on. Could be you have a 50 AMP RV and based on your connection to shore power you are feeding only one leg of your 50 amp. May want to give us more information
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:29 AM   #5
new tripper

Yes I am. 30 amp
Old 07-02-2017, 04:35 AM   #6
new tripper

Ok here's all the information I can think of. I am plugged into shore power, 30amp. The fridge, and microwave work as do the lights in the ceiling that each have on off switches. the TV doesn't come on, its plugged into one of the outlets that isn't working. I've checked the breaker box and all seems to be in order. This is a head scratcher for sure.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:50 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Ok, lights in ceiling are 12V so they will work off battery or converter if your plugged in. It's possible that the GFI plug has gone bad, or the wires have come loose. RV Outlets use a different method of attaching wires, the wires are pushed into slots and the insulation is cut by blades. I've seen cases where one or more wires has backed out. UNPLUG From shore power before checking.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:19 AM   #8
new tripper

Ok well I've replaced all the non GFI outlets with common outlets. Still not getting any of them to work except the 2 GFI outlets. Basically nothing has changed. So what else might it be? Power converter, one of the circuit breakers? Also I'm still plugged in to shore power, when not working on the outlets.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:57 AM   #9
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

I assume you checked those two GFI plugs to make sure they are not tripped. Have you shut power off and pulled those two to make sure connections are secure, specifically the load side of those GFIs.

It is common to daisy chain normal plugs off GFI plugs providing protection to those plugs as well
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:11 AM   #10
Acableguy06

Quote:
Originally Posted by new tripper View Post
Ok well I've replaced all the non GFI outlets with common outlets. Still not getting any of them to work except the 2 GFI outlets. Basically nothing has changed. So what else might it be? Power converter, one of the circuit breakers? Also I'm still plugged in to shore power, when not working on the outlets.
Need to disconnect from power, pull the power distribution panel off and look for loose wires on the 120v side of things, I have one of my breakers that has 2 circuits being fed from it, 1 wire off the circuit breaker the wire nutted the other two together, this failed on mine before I owned it. If all connectors and wires are connected correctly. After this ONLY if you are familiar with testing voltage and have a meter, plug back in and look to see if your breakers are feeding power.