Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2016, 05:27 PM   #1
nesparky

Great water tank sensors

Is there a way to clean these crappy tanks level sensors? I'm full timing in a 2014 Avalanche 330re so filling the tanks with ice and driving down the road isn't feasible.
The black tank is good just the grey water tanks.
nesparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:43 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesparky View Post
Is there a way to clean these crappy tanks level sensors? I'm full timing in a 2014 Avalanche 330re so filling the tanks with ice and driving down the road isn't feasible.
The black tank is good just the grey water tanks.
If you're full-timing and staying in one spot all the time, keeping your tank sensors "clean" can be difficult. Usually, you don't get to flush out your tank as often or have the opportunity to have the tanks sit and partially filled with "clean" water.

If your unit is equipped with a black tank flush system, I'd try using that on a more frequent basis. For the grey tanks, try flushing them out several times and let the "clean" water sit for as long as possible.

Some folks use Calgon or some other type of water softener in order to coat the tank sides with a "slippery" coating which helps prevent the build-up of crud.

Most people experience faulty readings with their black tank so in that sense you are "lucky" that your readings are still accurate.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:55 PM   #3
nesparky

Any idea how many gallon these tanks may be? I have two dump valves so I'm assuming two grey water tanks. I can't seem to find any information in the books and manuals I have.
nesparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:42 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If you have 2 gray tanks they are probably 30-40 gallons each.

You can also pour a digester down the drain, fill the tank and leave it for the day. Works best in warm weather.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:22 PM   #5
GaryWT

Just leave the gray tank open and the night before you need to dump the black tank, close it to fill some. Next day dump the black and then the gray and leave it open again. Over time you will learn how many days you can go.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:09 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Living in Nebraska, leaving the tank valves open may lead to frozen sewer hoses. Depending on how you're hooked up to utilities, that may not be a workable solution.

Chuckster57 mentioned a "digester", a brand wasn't mentioned. One such product is Walex TOI-61776 Elemonate Grey Water Deodorizer and Cleaner. It's essentially a "tablet style" enzyme cleaner that you dissolve in the sink, let it drain into the tank and let it sit for a day or two. I'd suspect that you'd need to have "full tanks" for the enzymes to even reach the sensors, so when to try cleaning the tanks becomes a management issue.....

At about $8 for enough to do the tanks a couple of times, it may be cheaper than even trying to fill/rinse the tanks with hot water.

I've not used this brand, but have used other types of enzyme cleaners with good success on other projects. Who knows, it might work for you. If you try it, please report your success/failure so the rest of us know how it went.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote