Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2015, 11:08 AM   #1
Richard Noble

tank sensors

I need to upgrade our tank sensors this summer. I've looked at Sealevel (very expensive and I would have to change to their monitor) and MODA tank sensor kit (using existing monitor). Anyone finished this type of mod? Any suggestions/ comments?
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:45 AM   #2
slow

Before upgrading, you may want to try the following, assuming your sensors are the same as mine:

I noticed that my fresh water tank and black tank had incorrect readings at times. Since my fresh tank is under my bed and needed to be relocated a few inches to take out a kink in the inlet hose by the factory, I removed it and checked the connection points for the "sensor" wires. The sensors are actually screws installed from inside the tank at different heights and held on with a nut. Then the wire is held to the screw with a second nut. When I checked mine, the nuts holding the wires were loose on a few. I removed the nut holding the wires and tightened the nuts against the tank while holding the exposed screw threads with my fingers until I felt the screw may start to turn. Then I reinstalled the wire and second nut. When I tightened the second nut, I held the first nut with a wrench that I ground down to make it thinner. The fresh water levels are now consistent and show as empty after being drained.

I repeated the procedure on the blank tank without removing it at the end of this last season, so I will not know for sure if it resolved the issue until next spring. But what I do know is that it does not display 1/3 full as it did in the past when it is actually empty.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:21 PM   #3
GaryWT

Tank sensors are the biggest waste. Depending on if anything is stuck on them or not they will work or not. It is easier to learn how long it takes for tanks to fill then playing with the to try to figure them out. We know we get 3-4 days out of the black tank and 1 day out of the gray and we go with that.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:44 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Tank sensors are normally "spin welded" into the side of the tank. The nut holds the wire on the stud sticking out.

Some of the higher end units use sensor pads that are glued to the exterior of the tank. This type is extremely accurate depending on placement, and since nothing can " hang up" on the sensors you can believe the monitor panel.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:03 PM   #5
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
Tank sensors are the biggest waste. Depending on if anything is stuck on them or not they will work or not. It is easier to learn how long it takes for tanks to fill then playing with the to try to figure them out. We know we get 3-4 days out of the black tank and 1 day out of the gray and we go with that.
X 2! Don't rely on them and personally I wouldn't waste the time or money replacing them as you'll just have the same problems.
My water tank says that it's half full and I know that's not true as I've been using it for a week and it should be empty. That reminds me I have to fill up my water tank as we're going to get - digits this week
Old 11-24-2015, 02:38 AM   #6
Tbos

Ditto on the learning the length of time it takes to fill the tanks. Cleaning the black and grey well help but still don't make it fool proof. 1 days use for grey if we shower and 3-4 days for black. If the grey backs up in the shower its past time to dump. Make sure someone else is there to pull that handle if you forgot to dump before climbing in for a shower the second day. Of course tank size and water use vary for each of us.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:13 AM   #7
crash

I don't pay attention to the gauges ,If its just me and the wife which is most times we get 4 days out of our tanks before I have to dump them .Thats just my 2 cents
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:28 AM   #8
Richard Noble

Thanks to all for the replies/suggestions. I'd still like to have sensors that work.
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:58 PM   #9
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Noble View Post
......................... I'd still like to have sensors that work.
I am with you on this. Check the connections, it may be enough to resolve the issue.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:59 PM   #10
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Tank sensors are normally "spin welded" into the side of the tank. The nut holds the wire on the stud sticking out.

Some of the higher end units use sensor pads that are glued to the exterior of the tank. This type is extremely accurate depending on placement, and since nothing can " hang up" on the sensors you can believe the monitor panel.
I'm just going to back the boat up here. Chuck do you have anymore info and where to get these pad sensors from?
If they're that accurate as you would know as you work in the field then I just might get one
Old 11-24-2015, 04:52 PM   #11
therink

I don't even bother with checking my gauges. I know my tank levels, when to dump, when to fill, just by usage, sounds and instinct. Let's say I have a special relationship with the tanks. I learned a long time ago that the gauges are not dependable. The only gauge iI trust is the one in the truck.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:20 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
I'm just going to back the boat up here. Chuck do you have anymore info and where to get these pad sensors from?

If they're that accurate as you would know as you work in the field then I just might get one

Used in Tiffen motor homes. I'll see if i can find what brand they are.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:32 PM   #13
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Used in Tiffen motor homes. I'll see if i can find what brand they are.
That would be great!
Old 12-02-2015, 01:46 PM   #14
Starmaster

Thumbs up Tank Sensors - Horst Miracle Probes

I just recently replaced the level sensors in our black tank with sensors specifically designed for blank tanks by "Horst Miracle Probes". The cost is about $35. They also make replacement probes for gray tanks as well.

What makes these special/unique is that they have the electrodes encased in teflon and there is a teflon "hood" over each electrode. This prevents "stuff" from collecting on them and providing false readings (so the advertising says...).

I haven't had a chance to use test them yet, but they will get a workout for a couple of months in Jan & Feb while in Tucson. In theory it makes sense, and the price is low enough that its worth a shot. These are much more economical than the electronic reading replacements that mount on the outside of the tanks.

Installation was not too difficult. The most important thing (other than the tank being empty ) is to loosen both nuts on the existing sensors completely, then using a pair of pliers, simply pull straight out. When installing, be sure the "hood" is on the top side of the probe. The new sensors have a flat spot on the end of the threads to assist with proper orientation.

Dave
B&W Patriot, Honda EU2000i, Progressive Ind EMS, 602ABCWATER water softener, TireTraker, Rand RVND7730 GPS
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:27 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
That would be great!

Haven't forgotten, just a bit busy. Getting ready to go to the Newmar plant for training.