Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2015, 08:54 AM   #1
Bullet Bob

BAL cable slide issue

Good morning. Pulled my 2013 Bullet premier 26RBPR from Louisiana to Longmont Colorado with no issues. After spending nite at one location, we decided to move 1 mile to other site. During setup my living room slideout decided to not open more than 6 inches when it began to make a "machine gun sound" and stop. I insured there were no blockages and tried again. Only to hear the "machine gun sound" again. I attempted to close it only to have it close to within 2 inches of trailer sidewall before making sound again. Could not get it to close all the way.
I tried to close it with that wonderful flex extender provided by dealer, with no luck.
Next morning we pulled to brother in laws residence and setup. The slide did close completely but continued to open only 4-6 inches before making the "machine gun sound" again. Does this sound like adjustment issue or bad motor?

Bullet Bob
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bullet Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Without being there to listen, it almost sounds to me like the gearbox.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #3
gkainz

I would say sounds like gearbox or associated issues to me as well. Windish RV is in Longmont and a Keystone dealer

10571 W I-25 Frontage Rd, , Longmont, Co, 80504
(303) 532-2420
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:52 PM   #4
shiggs68

If it is a normal BAL cable slide mechanism, the usual failure is one of the cables is frayed causing it to jam in the pulleys. The jam will cause the chain or gears to slip. Check that all cables are free of any frayed or broken areas.

BAL has a cable replacement kit and very clear instructions.

TravelingRVDoctor -Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
shiggs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:16 PM   #5
roadglide

My 2015 311 is in the shop for the same racket . I was camping and started to extend the the dinning slide and something popped and went out and found the lower cable with a lot of slack. We used it for 2 weeks waiting for it to fail completely .The slide would close and open It acts like the cable jumped a pulley, on the way home I left it at the dealer. I should know something tomorrow.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:03 AM   #6
Bullet Bob

Thanks to all for your replies. I removed the jamb clamp ( I think that's what it is called) on the side of slide with slack cable. I couldn't find any damaged cables. Will attempt to get to service dept today.
Roadglide, I would appreciate it if you could post what your dealer found.
Again thanks for all the replies.

Bullet Bob
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2015, 06:39 AM   #7
Quiroule

Please keep us informed

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:25 PM   #8
Bullet Bob

I went to Windish RV in Longmont only to find that they were booked until mid-November. Camping World was booked out 35 days. Fortunately friendly people at Windish gave me the number for Colorado Custom RV Repair, a mobile repair service. They came by this afternoon and found the problem was a bad gearbox. They will contact my extended warranty supplier, Conerstone, on Monday to get authorization for the repair.

Again, I appreciate the responses to my original post. Normally, I have been lurking in the back reading and learning from all others that post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #9
roadglide

Its good they found the issue. My dealer is still working on my slide, I haven't ask any question and hope its ready tomorrow, along with the holding tank leave indicator.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote