Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2015, 03:17 PM   #1
charlie46

Shakedown Cruise

First time RV experience, in a 2014 Laredo SRE. Our intent was to take her out for the weekend, test, sanitize, and flush everything. Well not quite what I was expecting. Other than this one time, I will never again state how inadequate the Keystone owners manual is-c'mon Keystone, how about a couple of pictires, illustrations, or drawings. Anyway, we arrive at the camp site, hookup, all is well. I turn on the water (using the "city water" connection and within seconds the missus is yelling to turn it off. The Pex fitting feeding the cold water valve in the galley sink blew off. The metal retaining collar was so loose it blew off, allowing the fitting to separate. We chase tools and parts (no luck there) with Wally World being the only store open and only 25 miles away. I go through both sets of fittings on the galley sink and the bathroom sink. Thinking we're good, I turn the hose on again. Few seconds later, similar hollering but this time coming from the water heater connections. Same problem-the steel rings in the Pex fittings were not properly seated in the fitting allowing the water pressure to push them apart. When I unscrewed the fitting, the steel retainer fell off and is somewhere is the maze of stuff under the galley sink and I'm darned if I can find it. So we're bucketing water to us the head, not quite what i was expecting. We added 10 gallons each water to grey and black tanks just to practice and actually flush out the black tank. Works fine. Decide to try to use the flushing connections found in the hose section (see pic). I hook my green (non-potable) hose to the right hand sewer flush (per the label) fitting and turn on the water. With the black valve (below the hose fitting) in the vertical position, you can hear water splashing into a now empty tank. When the valve is turned to the horizontal position, the water stops flowing. So, to determine which tank received the water, I check the sensor panel. Nothing in the grey, nothing in the black, but now the fresh water tank is half full. it seems like the three tanks are cross-connected. Any thoughts, anybody?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4183.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	8563   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4189.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	8564   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4194.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	8565  
charlie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:42 AM   #2
14george

Where the city water hook up on my 2015 Ladero 240 MK there is a valve that will direct water to tank or system Ana a separate connection for black tank flush. Are you using a water pressure regulator?
Old 05-10-2015, 07:33 AM   #3
charlie46

I didn't use a pressure regulator when I first hooked up. After repairing the sink fitting, I added a pressure regulator to the hose. The water heater fitting leaked after that. That problem is solved. The question remaining (aside from why the picture posted sideways is the hose hookups.
Looking into the water connection box (for lack of a better term) there are three hose connections. One, facing the street, is clearly marked city water. No question as to its purpose. On the rear bulkhead, facing forward are two hose connections which I assume are the "No Fuss Flush" connections, one each for the grey and black tanks. The label says to make sure the dump valve is open before using. Again, this is pretty obvious. Below this pair of hose fittings is a single two position valve. It's either vertical or horizontal. In the up position, water flows. In the down position water stops. I'm still not understanding its purpose nor its function. I'll experiment this morning when we break camp.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:58 AM   #4
GaryWT

Interesting start for you. Not familiar with the set ups with a "water closet" with all the hook ups. Have never seen a grey tank with a flusher. Do you have just one black tank? Is you city water and fresh water tank the same connection? Black tank flush goes from connection to tank and is not connected to anything else. Leave your valve open when you use this.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:25 AM   #5
Javi

Pretty sure there is only ONE black tank flush connection, ONE city water connection and finally ONE Fresh Water tank Fill connection..

As to the fittings blown off.. which of these three photos where they...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	58575p.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	8572   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	8573   Click image for larger version

Name:	step3-slide-crimp-ring.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	8574  
Old 05-10-2015, 09:07 AM   #6
charlie46

The Pex connections held firmly ( I love that system, have plumbed several houses with and never had a failure). What happened was the retainer rings in the terminal threaded connectors were not pushed all the way down allowing the CTS size plastic end to slip out of the threaded collar. The one on the water heater actually fell out when I removed the threaded connector. It would be something to check during a PDI to ensure that the threaded cap is fully seated against the molded ring on the fitting. Attached is a picture of the feed line to the toilet-it is seated (no pun intended) fully. On my rig, both sink fittings and the upper fitting on the hot water heater had gaps between the nut and the cast ring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4196.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	8575  
Old 05-10-2015, 04:09 PM   #7
charlie46

Javi, you were right about the three hose fittings. From left to right, the first one is city water-direct feed to water system. Next (this would be the center of the three) is the black water tank flush. Finally, closest to the street side is the fresh water tank fill, complete with a shut-off valve. Mystery solved. Next is replacing the pex fitting on the water heater so I can fill and sanitize the system for the next trip. Good times.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:11 PM   #8
charlie46

Many thanks