Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2015, 05:07 AM   #1
cardinal96ss

Satellite antenna location

I intend to install a satellite antenna on my Montana 36ft fifth wheel and would like to know if there is a preplanned, perhaps even pre-wired, location for this item. I intend to install it myself as the local RV service dept quoted me 6 to 8 hrs at $125./hr for the job. Other installation advice would be most appreciated.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:25 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If there was any wiring installed at the factory, normally you would see a round cover on the roof.

Depending on where you locate the dish, wiring and coax can be routed down the refer cabinet, or just behind a roof vent. You may need to remove trim and pull back some walls. 6-8 hours isn't too far off so leave yourself lots of time.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:42 PM   #3
bobbecky

CW in Las Vegas installed our Travler several years ago. On our rig, the OTA booster switch is in the front/right cabinet in the bedroom, so after mounting the dish in the center of the roof, about also the center of the rig front to rear, they brought the cabling over the roof to a point just above the bedroom cabinet. They used a special plate from Winegard that, along with sealant, allows the cable to enter from the roof without any problem of leaking. The dish control, along with the satellite box is in the cabinet. They used the preinstalled antenna coax to bring signal to the livingroom TV, where we have a second satellite box. The OTA antenna connects to each of the satellite boxes also. This setup allows viewing different shows on the seperate TV's. The cabling on the roof seemed strange at first, but they used screwed down cable clamps every couple of feet, and used self leveling sealant on all of them, and nothing leaks. It would have been nice to have cable or conduit installed from the factory for these satellite antennas, but there are so many ways to get satellite, it would be too costly. Good luck, and be safe on the roof.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:08 PM   #4
cardinal96ss

satellite antenna location

I figured our unit was too old for a pre-wired location. Oh well. Great advice and ideas. I'm going to take a look at both approaches. At first glance I like the idea of bringing the cable into the cabinet in the bedroom which would be a great place for the receiver since it can be easily viewed from the bedroom and living room.
More later.
Thanks again.
Cardinal
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite anntenas, tv wiring