Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2015, 07:28 PM   #1
gearhead

Washer/sewer gas?

We recently had a washer dryer combo installed. There is a decal on the washer that says to put the cap on the drain line when not in use to prevent sewer gas from entering the RV. I haven't put the cap on yet and haven't noticed any smell.
What are others doing?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #2
leonandlisa

My washer backs up to the kitchen cabinets so I pulled out the drawers and was able to verify I have a P-Trap behind the washer, so now I leave the hose in the stand pipe. I would verify that you have the P-Trap and as long as you use the washer every week or so it will keep the trap full of water, otherwise it could evaporate and allow smell from the black tank to come up.

Leon
leonandlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:01 PM   #3
gman1966347

Hey gearhead,we just had a splindede washer/dryer combo installed in our 2013 3150rl (Montana). Your washer will drain into one of your gray tanks. Most likely the one that is connected to your shower/bathroom sink. You don't have a "P" trap there. It is the same set up as mine. My rig's set up is in the bedroom closet like yours. When you are hooked up at an rv spot, just keep the gray valve opened to let it free flow. So that you don't over fill your gray tank. We don't have any smell of sewage at all. There is just gray water. I use a splash of treatment when it is at home. So that I don't have any aroma. I have done that with all of my rigs. Good luck!
gman1966347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:03 PM   #4
gearhead

Yeah I assumed it went to the bathroom grey tank. We usually leave the closet doors open, and haven't smelled anything yet. I squirt some Dawn in both grey tanks frequently.
I try to keep some level in my grey tanks to help rinse the hose after dumping the black tank.
I suppose we could wrap some duct tape around the washer drain hose and the drain pipe to seal it. So far it's ok though.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:49 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Most washers now come with a seal already built into the drain hose. You probably already have the seal installed which would prevent any sewer gasses from escaping. Here's a picture of one such seal on the end of a washer drain hose. Splendide shows a similar gasket on their IPB for some of their models.

It's item #4 in this picture.
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:02 AM   #6
Keywestparrothead

Just a point of notice, not all units go into the grey/black tanks. Mine goes directly into the main dump line. I have a 2010 Montana 3750FL. When we first had ours installed, we were told that it went into the rear grey tank and after the first rinse cycle our bathroom floor was flooded

We too have the "P" trap in the wall, but one of the first things I added was a blade valve at the end of the sewer pipe, so I leave mine closed until we run the washer/dryer or are dumping the tanks. This also helps prevent "surprises" when first hooking up and one of the valves was cracked open just a wee bit, ask me how I know
Attached Images

2015 Ford F450 KR CC
2010 Montana 3750FL
------------------------
Previous addictions...
2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
2008 CC Silverback 32LFGBS TT
2004 Coleman/Fleetwood PU
Keywestparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:40 AM   #7
gman1966347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keywestparrothead View Post
Just a point of notice, not all units go into the grey/black tanks. Mine goes directly into the main dump line. I have a 2010 Montana 3750FL. When we first had ours installed, we were told that it went into the rear grey tank and after the first rinse cycle our bathroom floor was flooded

We too have the "P" trap in the wall, but one of the first things I added was a blade valve at the end of the sewer pipe, so I leave mine closed until we run the washer/dryer or are dumping the tanks. This also helps prevent "surprises" when first hooking up and one of the valves was cracked open just a wee bit, ask me how I know
I hear ya, I called Keystone to make sure that mine drained into a gray tank. They said that some models will drain into your black tank. Which I wouldn't have been very happy about.
gman1966347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:07 PM   #8
PerryB

My 2010 Mountaineer 345DBQ dumps its washer drain directly into the front discharge line. It does not go into any tank. You have to be uncapped (and presumably hooked to a sewer line) in order to run the washer.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote