Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2015, 01:14 PM   #1
C130

Texas Class A Non Commercial

I know this topic has been discussed in length but I started this thread for those of us that are attempting to get their Class A license in Texas. Anyone obtained their Class A in Texas lately, if so how did you go about doing it? I've been on the phone for over an hour and gotten nowhere and have yet to speak to a person. It seems all the local office numbers connect you to the one main line in Austin.

Few questions, first is can you show up at any office and take the written exam without an appointment? If so, anyone taken it in Conroe, TX and are they familiar?

Second, anyone taken the driving test in Conroe, Livingston, Bryan, or Huntsville lately? Conroe is booked through May and Livingston and Huntsville you have to call it appears to schedule. Problem is I can't seem to get to actually speak to a person that can help.

Third question, can anyone that has taken the test recently tell me what sections to study? I've read a bunch of different information on this and other forums and I've yet to find anyone that knows much about it, just people trying to find information or they "think" you do this and that.

I've also found out only a few offices do the commercial driving tests so assume they're the only ones that do the Class A. I'm also finding out they are way booked up around Houston so I'll most likely be headed somewhere even further out than what I am now.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:47 PM   #2
C130

Finally talked to someone in Austin who seemed very knowledgeable. He said to study Section 14 of the Texas Commercial Handbook and that was it. Some offices let you book online, others you have to go to the office I guess as the phone numbers listed all take you to the Austin main office. It takes about ten minutes just to get to a prompt that gives you an option to speak to a person then there's a long wait, at least today there was.

Can someone that's taken the written test confirm its only from chapter 14? Chapter 14 is pretty short and doesn't seem to cover hardly any of what I'd consider important information we should need to know. Fine with me but seems very odd.

If anyone's taken it in Bryan, TX let me know. That's where I scheduled it and wondering if anyone has any information as I'm not familiar with the area at all.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:23 PM   #3
jtyphoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
Finally talked to someone in Austin who seemed very knowledgeable. He said to study Section 14 of the Texas Commercial Handbook and that was it. Some offices let you book online, others you have to go to the office I guess as the phone numbers listed all take you to the Austin main office. It takes about ten minutes just to get to a prompt that gives you an option to speak to a person then there's a long wait, at least today there was.

Can someone that's taken the written test confirm its only from chapter 14? Chapter 14 is pretty short and doesn't seem to cover hardly any of what I'd consider important information we should need to know. Fine with me but seems very odd.

If anyone's taken it in Bryan, TX let me know. That's where I scheduled it and wondering if anyone has any information as I'm not familiar with the area at all.
My wife and I went through the process within the past year. I just looked at the handbook and it's been updated some since we got ours, but the content is fairly similar. We both definitely recall questions from chapter 14, but we also studied chapters 1 and 2, and we think that there might have been a few from those chapters, too. Most of the questions were common sense, but then there were a few that were very specific and nit-picky.

I also recommend reading through chapter 13 before you take the driving test.

Neither my wife nor I had an appointment and our experiences were largely identical (we did it several months apart). We just went into the office and told them that we wanted a learner's permit for a "Class A Exempt" or "non-commercial Class A". They had us fill out some paperwork and set us up for the written test. If they set you up for more than one test, there's something wrong (that happened to my wife).

Assuming you pass the test, they should give you a paper learner's permit and let you schedule the driving test. There may be some confusion about how long the learner's permit is good for (either 30 or 90 days). The earliest available slot for my wife and I were both more than 30 days after the written test and neither of us had any problem. In fact, my wife didn't take the driving test until close to 90 days after the written test.

One thing to be careful about is getting to the driving test if you don't have someone with a Class A to ride with you. I don't know what would happen if they see you drive up for the test by yourself.

I can't speak to any of the DMV offices up in your area. The Alvin office (south east of Houston) handled everything fairly smoothly other than trying to have my wife take more written tests than she needed. They did figure it out when she asked, though.

The written and driving tests really weren't that big of a deal, so don't sweat it too much.

Good luck!
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:23 AM   #4
C130

Thanks, I've looked over the entire handbook but will emphasize chapter 14 and the ones you mentioned. I'm going to take the written test one day next week and the driving test April 6th, scheduled it online. I don't know my schedule for May and by the time I find out my monthly schedule I'm sure my local office would be booked full again so figured I'd just do it where there's an opening. Conroe was book through May already and I'm leaving for a long trip beginning of June.

Another question which may be obvious but what are the requirements for the trailer you tow for the driving test? Does it have to be over the 10,000 pounds or weight to make the combined combination over 26,000 or just any trailer? Do they check these weights? Reason I'm asking is could you pull a smaller trailer that would technically make you "legal" to drive to the test. Personally, I don't know why it would matter but just wondering if anyone checks the weights.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:18 PM   #5
jtyphoid

I read somewhere that you have to use a vehicle or combo appropriate for the class. The examiners did not look at the stickers of our F350 or 38' Raptor when my wife and I took the test, but then that's a fairly big combo.

Having to reschedule if they do check and you aren't over 26000 combined or 10000 trailer would be a PITA.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:54 PM   #6
gearhead

You could try the one here where I live. It's usually not too busy and I've seen folks do the driving tests for 18 wheelers. My sister came here from Kingwood just to renew.

http://local.dmv.org/texas/liberty-c...-locations.php
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:13 PM   #7
C130

Just took the written test, passed it but it was not what I was expecting at all. It covered more than just chapter 14 which is what I was told it would cover by the main office in Austin. I studied the entire handbook except for the "add on endorsements" and air brakes section and even read over those. I missed a couple of questions that I would have missed if I had studied every day for a year I think. I did go back and look at chapter 14 and there were a quite a few questions from that chapter 14 but they do word them some very weird ways as others have stated.

I had at least three questions that were asked repeatedly, one I think 3 different times. I was asked one question twice in a row, worded exactly the same way which I couldn't believe. I think there were maybe two questions that somehow might pertain to pulling a trailer. One was regarding an emergency and pulled over to side of road and what was required, answer was red flags vs flares, fuses, or triangles. Two questions asked regarding reflectors, minimum height(24 inches) asked and also maximum height (60 inches). Two questions again regarding flags and what color is needed, one regarding something sticking out over 4 feet behind the trailer (red) and the other regarding the color of flag needed if towing another vehicle with a rope, chain, etc. and the answer was white. One question regarding overall combined length (answer 65 feet) but I wasn't 100% sure because the study manual gives several different combinations and all different lengths depending on what it is. One question that confused me was "when are registration papers required"? It listed "all trucks", taxi cab, and two other options. The only option that made sense to me was either the "taxi cab" or "all trucks" but I was also thinking "taxis" was the only one that would be commercial which was wrong and the correct answer was "all trucks". I thought registration papers were always required in any commercial vehicle so still confused on that one. There was not one question regarding driving, driving conditions, braking, spacing, tires, etc.

Another tricky question was how many vehicles a "passenger vehicle" can tow. In Texas it's legal to pull tandem trailers and in Chapter 14 it discusses this exact question but also differentiates between passenger vehicles and vehicles under 2600 pounds. The question on the test didn't specify any weight and the correct answer was one trailer because it refers to "passenger vehicles". So, there are some tricky questions, some worded very poorly in my opinion. There was one question that asked about backing and to me there were two correct answers according to the manual. The answers were "back slowly using both mirrors" and also using a "helper". Manual states both of these are correct but the correct answer is "helper". Not sure of exact wording but the answer was to use another person. I guess my point is to use the best option if it's available as both of these recommendations about backing are listed verbatim in the manual!

Anyways, taking the driver portion Monday and will report back. They had an opening next Friday so the web site scheduling isn't necessarily correct. I'm still taking it Monday at a different place than I took the test. I just wanted to give others that will be taking the test a little of what's asked on the test and what to study. Out of 20 questions there had to be at least 7 or 8 that were repeat questions, some worded identical and some worded a little different.

As far as getting there to take the driving test and having someone with you, I'm not in any way saying it's okay one way or the other but I specifically asked this question. I don't think it's an issue and I don't think they are out to get someone trying to do things the right way.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:08 PM   #8
jtyphoid

My wife's and my driving tests were about 20 minutes long. We didn't have to back up the trailer, identify any signs or notice or state any bridge weight limits or height clearances. It was a very basic test. It'll be interesting to hear how yours goes.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:01 PM   #9
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyphoid View Post
My wife's and my driving tests were about 20 minutes long. We didn't have to back up the trailer, identify any signs or notice or state any bridge weight limits or height clearances. It was a very basic test. It'll be interesting to hear how yours goes.

I just rescheduled it in Bryan for tomorrow as they had an opening. I'll let you know how it goes, not familiar with the area at all. Hoping it's pretty easy to get in and out of and I've driven through there numerous times but just passing through. At least it's away from Houston so that's a plus as I won't have drive through the city. Very easy drive up to that area from where I live.

Another question you might know, do the trailers require an inspection sticker or not? I've heard both yes and no and believe it was discussed a while back. I had a friend that was pulling a small (16 ft.) enclosed trailer through Houston about a year ago and got stopped for speeding by HPD. COP tried to ticket him for a lack of an inspection sticker on trailer also but wound up not writing him a ticket.

I asked about a learners permit and was told I didn't need one. One more thing, bring you glasses to the written exam if you need them. I just renewed my drivers license less than two months ago and passed the eye exam with no issues. I also don't have any restrictions on my FAA medical. I had to do the eye exam before the test today and could not read the left set of letters. I could read the middle and right as clear as could be but not the left. I read it but she said it didn't count because my head was tilted, not sure what that had to do with anything. I was told I had to go to a doctor and get a note before continuing. I had a pair of glasses out in my truck from my Air Force days from 17 years ago. It was the only time I ever flunked an eye exam and have passed it every 6 months since then. I went and got those and she let me take the test. I still don't know what was up with the eye machine as I was using both eyes but maybe it was me. The entire set of left letters were very blurry from the top to the bottom so even the largest letters were blurry.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #10
jtyphoid

Yes, trailers over a certain weight (3000 lbs, maybe?) require annual inspection in TX.

The state has to make up for not having income tax somehow...

Call before taking your trailer in because not all inspection places know how to do trailers.

I don't recall if the driving test official checked to see if we had a valid inspection.

Edited to add that many inspection locations don't have room for a TV and large 5er, either. I found one that's open on Sunday afternoons while the neighboring businesses are closed. I just pull in next door for the inspection.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:35 PM   #11
C130

Quote:
Yes, trailers over a certain weight (3000 lbs, maybe?) require annual inspection in TX.

The state has to make up for not having income tax somehow...

Call before taking your trailer in because not all inspection places know how to do trailers.

I don't recall if the driving test official checked to see if we had a valid inspection.

Edited to add that many inspection locations don't have room for a TV and large 5er, either. I found one that's open on Sunday afternoons while the neighboring businesses are closed. I just pull in next door for the inspection.
Great, I don't have a sticker on the 5th wheel. Anything in particular as far as paperwork needed for the inspection? Hoping they don't check it but if I see a place on the way I'll stop by. My usual place for our cars does not have anywhere near enough room.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:43 PM   #12
jtyphoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
Great, I don't have a sticker on the 5th wheel. Anything in particular as far as paperwork needed for the inspection? Hoping they don't check it but if I see a place on the way I'll stop by. My usual place for our cars does not have anywhere near enough room.
I show them my insurance cards for the tow vehicle and 5er. I think that all they really need is the tow vehicle insurance card and the trailer VIN. My 5er insurance card has the VIN, so I just give them that to save time.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:48 PM   #13
C130

Thanks, guess it's going to be real obvious now who needs it, link to recent article below! USAA doesn't provide insurance cards for RV's but I do have the VIN so hopefully that will be good. I can show them it's insured, just don't have an insurance card for the 5th wheel. One more thing to try and take care of in the morning. It's quite funny that I've seen more junk in Texas driving around than anywhere I've ever lived yet Texas has some of the most strict laws regarding trailers and RV's. Guess it's all about the money but there's going to be a lot of trailers grounded if the inspection stations actually follow the rules but then they are in business to make money also.

http://www.chron.com/sports/article/...ns-6115851.php

Trailer inspection items

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/VI/...nCriteria.aspx
Old 04-02-2015, 03:26 PM   #14
C130

Completed the driving test, little longer than I thought it would be but nothing special about it. I did not have to parallel park, just went to an industrial park and backed up 60 feet or so. I did my driving test in Bryan and I did a lot of feeder road to Highway to feeder road, across the freeway back in other direction, back on highway, then exit to feeder. All were one way feeders except one section which is a gotcha if not careful as you're trying to look in your mirrors for traffic and it's easy to miss the two way section. Anyways, no matter where you do the test or just driving period, watch out for these areas as they can be dangerous. No doubt that particular exit was planned.

Also, get your trailer inspected before doing the driving test. It's required in Texas and now the computer systems are linked together so you can't renew your tags until you have the inspection done. I went and did it this morning just in case they wanted to see it, they did! It was painless, just checked all the lights, brake lights, turn signals. No sticker given, just a code you enter when you renew online or you give them at the office. Lady told me it had been insane, everyone is trying to get their trailer inspections done because they can't get their tags renewed until they do. She said most people had no idea it was needed until they get their tag renewal which tells them it's needed. You just need VIN of trailer and proof of insurance for tow vehicle.

I specifically asked about how I was supposed to get there when I did my written exam. I was told to not worry about it, they wouldn't ask and it wouldn't be an issue. They are so busy I think it would be the last thing on their mind. I got there way too early and sat around forever. Same people do the commercial, Class A , and regular license. If you're thinking about doing it schedule the driving portion online, you're competing against everyone else getting a license and it gets way backed up. There seems to be cancellations though so can probably get in much quicker if you just keep checking, I did. Written exam, you just walk in and do it, no scheduling.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:57 PM   #15
jtyphoid

Congrats! Your driving test sounds more thorough than what my wife and I had to do. We didn't have to back up at all, which pleased my wife quite a bit.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:29 PM   #16
C130

Quote:
Congrats! Your driving test sounds more thorough than what my wife and I had to do. We didn't have to back up at all, which pleased my wife quite a bit.
Thanks for all of your help, I appreciate it. Glad to be done and be 100% legal. I think I drove for around 30 minutes and I actually would have driven another 5 I think. I was not familiar with the area and the DPS office is on the southbound feeder. The highway split and she told me to go straight so I stayed in the lane I was in then she said I was supposed to go right which would have been a lane change. It was too late in my opinion and I wasn't about to try and make it but the way I went took me right back to the DPS office. I have no idea where she would have taken me the way she wanted me to go but it would have had to add several more miles. Her briefing before we started was both hands on the wheel, using my turn signals, staying in my lane at all times, and not only using my mirrors but also turning my head to check for traffic when changing lanes, merging, etc.

It is a nice place to take the driving test though as it's very easy to get in and out of and not a lot of traffic to worry about. Everyone was very nice, pretty painless overall. It is quite entertaining watching the people that come in though for a couple of hours, you see it all! One crazy guy in Conroe kept telling the clerk he couldn't tell her his address as it would "put him in jeopardy" and he had been in a "quarantined house" for a few years. It just went downhill from there but very entertaining!
Old 06-08-2015, 12:27 PM   #17
cb1000rider
Gone Traveling

So I just went through this. I went in to take the "Commercial Rules" (Chapter 14) written test.

I went to Austin, off Lamar. They have a nice system for registering so you can "get in line" via your phone. They were busy, but I was called back within 10 minutes of getting there.

I told the lady that I was there to take the "NON-COMMERCIAL Class-A" written exam over commercial rules. She told me that I couldn't do that unless I was in the military or had an exemption. I brought form CDL-2 and calmly showed her the exemption (listed on the form) for "Recreational Vehicles" and pointed out the line at the bottom that indicated that I needed to pass "Texas Commercial Rules". I told her that if she wasn't familiar to call the CDL office in Austin.

She did so, and came back and indicated that I had to take two tests. I went back and forth with her for a while, but she was giving me "Texas Commercial Rules" - so I agreed to sit for the other.

I passed Texas Commercial Rules, failed the other test, so they refused to issue a "learners permit". I asked her to call DPS CDL again to "make sure" - she did, came back, said she was sorry, and told me that I needed to take another test (Chapter 6). I agreed to try that, and failed it (mostly airbrake stuff). They wouldn't discuss it any more.

I went to the next DPS office - The "CDL" office. Explained what happened, they indicated that I need to pass Chapter 6 and Chapter 14. She offered to let me study for Chapter 6. Again, I pointed out their own docs that say "Commercial Rules" is what is needed (Chapter 14) - she said they had a memo and that their docs needed updating. So I studied Chapter 6, passed that test and she issued a "learners permit". This is "THE" CDL office in Austin, so I'm a bit disappointed.

I contacted DPS through their web page, got a call today, indicating that Chapter 14 is all that is needed. They didn't know why the CDL office put me through multiple tests...

So my advice - Use this form and contact DPS by email asking for specific guidance and a point of contact. Calling is useless, they mostly won't answer the phone and the phone tree is several minutes long. I made multiple phone call attempts and it's very hard to talk with anyone that knows this stuff.

I'm planning on taking the driving portion in Marble Falls, which is a common location for non-CDL class-A.

Another note - Texas DPS requires that you bring copies of both truck and trailer inspection forms. This is unusual, as stickers are no longer issued and valid registration "should" cover the inspection issue. They said that they couldn't look it up and required a copy of the inspection.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:53 PM   #18
Festus2
Site Team

I think your description of what you went through only supports what Javi has written about earlier in another thread when he basically said that no one down there knows what they are doing.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:34 PM   #19
cb1000rider
Gone Traveling

Did DPS check you guys for trailer inspection stickers? Neither my truck nor trailer have inspection stickers on them - they haven't been required since 3/2015. Registration is now dependent upon inspection - IE, if it's got valid registration, it should be inspected.

DPS indicates that they want to see "proof of inspection" prior to taking the driving test, as they have no access to the electronic records.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #20
cb1000rider
Gone Traveling

Edit, I found a way to re-print proof of inspection for DPS, you need a VIN:
http://www.mytxcar.com/

This got me the inspection report on my RV that the dealer didn't provide...