Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2015, 06:54 AM   #41
sptddog

Such a fun topic - I drive. Almost all of it, unless I ask DH to drive on a longer trip. Sometimes I make him just to keep him fresh. He does fine for the most part, and he'd be completely competent if I ever left him do it as much as I do. I hauled big GN horse trailers for years, so naturally I had the experience. I really enjoy it, and I liked the challenge of being able to put it where ever I want. I regularly haul alone with 2 kids and the dog. The camping thing was my desire before it was my husband's so he leaves it all to me, including maintenance and stuff as well. That's fine - keeps me independent and confident (and perhaps a bit sassy lol).

I will say to those DW that don't do it often. Become at least comfortable going down the road, don't worry about backing up. I have never, ever pulled into anywhere - campground, horse show, even a gas station where someone hasn't offered to help if I looked perplexed or struggled. I'm not too proud to ask for help. I am quite good at backing in, but there was a time that I wasn't....and I'd try, and they'd coach me, and if I got too frustrated, I'd just get out and hand them the keys lol.

Out of the group that we camp with, there are two women that will haul, and I love it. There have been many times that our husband's have worked, or that we did girls weekends where we hauled ourselves. My 60 year old Mom will also haul, though she's not as good at backing up, she'd manage. She and I take the kids and go on two longer trips a year, and she will do some of the driving, even with the big toy hauler.

Great to see others doing the same, and boys, kudos to you all for encouraging your wives to try and respecting when they truly aren't cut out for it!
sptddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:37 PM   #42
ncrzrbk

When we got our first fifth wheel SOB, I told my wife she would need to learn to drive the rig. She never hesitated and do pretty well backing up. The hard part is that I love to be in the drivers seat but I know if she needs to drive she can. I think it is important just for the pure sake of an emergency where one of us couldn't drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
ncrzrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:53 AM   #43
crash

My wife drives I started her only on the major highways ,now she has gotten pretty good at it, she pulls the 43ft Raptor like a pro now I still do all the major backing though.
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #44
dwayneb236

My wife showed interest in wanting to drive so a few weeks back I hooked up the trailer and said get to it. We drove a few miles on residential and highway. I was a bit impressed. She did well. Two weeks ago we went to Oklahoma City to camp for a week. She drove us all the way up there. I was a bit nervous but she didn't flinch. She's got a pretty cool head. Got us there in one piece. Good Job.

She hasn't tried any maneuvering yet. Still got back up lessons to go. I'm sure she can do it. Just practice. Makes my life easier. Not as tiring.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #45
roadglide

My lady said she has no problem pulling ! So this week she will starting driving the LML with the 36 ft Impact .
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:47 AM   #46
ncrzrbk

My wife drove us home about 2 hours down the interstate memorial weekend. Had trouble backing in the driveway but no problem putting it into our storage lot. She has no problems and I trust her. Makes life easier knowing two people can drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
ncrzrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:04 PM   #47
Quad

Women who pull?

We just got back from Panama City Beach last night. 1 day before we planned on leaving I climbed on to the floor with my 3 yr old son to play cars. He walked off and then decided to do a flying leap with both knees In to my back. Needless to say I couldn't walk the next morning and still today I am nursing this thing lol it's hurts. But anyway it's nice having someone comfortable with hooking up and towing our camper besides me. I don't think without her help and her driving for 4-5 hrs of our trip that I could have made it with my back hurting. I encourage my wife to learn more and more every time she asks questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk