Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2016, 12:55 PM   #41
monica4patience

Think of it like getting the first ding in your new car. Once it's done, you've recovered and fine you don't worry so much about it any,ore.

2014 Keystone Passport 3290 BH (6/14 - present)
2010 Keystone Outback Sydney 310 BHS (7/12 - 6/14)

TV: none; seasonal w/ on-site winter storage
monica4patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:57 AM   #42
Jgkopp

We recently purchased a new 5th wheel, and were set up on a RV site with full hook ups for 6 months. With the water hose hooked up, it makes a connivent runway. Thought I would pass along my set up. I also posted this under the 5th wheel section. Not sure if any of the travel trailers have this water convenience compartment? Good advice on this thread. We used to get mice in our TT and now that I have this new rig never again will be my goal.

John

Jgkopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:51 AM   #43
hankaye

Jgkopp, Howdy;

Very nice way to go about it.

What do you do for the low point drain hole where the critters can run about
looking for weak spots to gnaw through?

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:40 PM   #44
Jgkopp

I plan on using some 1/4" mesh. Will take pictures. Right now it's a work in progress.
Jgkopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:39 AM   #45
Willie562

Re: MOUSE in brand new trailer!!!

I bought a new fifth wheel trailer this fall and was offered this Product Mouse Free by the dealership. Had it sprayed on the trailer and it appeared to be well applied to the bottom of the trailer.
Brought the trailer home and packed up trailer with stuff from our old trailer and took it to our storage yard. Went back the other day to check it and to put some items in to discover mouse droppings every where and a nest being built in storage compartment.
So to say the least my wife and I are not very impressed with product.
Willie562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:46 AM   #46
srvnt

We had a squirrel hitchhike home with us and it's still around here somewhere.

2013 Passport 2890RL GT
2015 Silverado CC LTZ 4x 2500 Duramax
HB Cal
srvnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:07 AM   #47
Scttw

Exclamation Re: MOUSE in brand new trailer!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie562 View Post
I bought a new fifth wheel trailer this fall and was offered this Product Mouse Free by the dealership. Had it sprayed on the trailer and it appeared to be well applied to the bottom of the trailer.
Brought the trailer home and packed up trailer with stuff from our old trailer and took it to our storage yard. Went back the other day to check it and to put some items in to discover mouse droppings every where and a nest being built in storage compartment.
So to say the least my wife and I are not very impressed with product.

The problem is not this service per say. The problem is that keystone as well as any other manufacturers just do not have "Attention to detail", or they just don't care.

I know exactly how these mice are getting in your storage area - I had the same issue. The way I dealt with it for the past 2 years is putting about 8 traps out for about 4 weeks starting late Sept. After about 5 rounds the mice are all gone and since they are territorial no more will come for that season.

This year though, I actually solved the issue. After fixing the problem, I did not catch 1 mouse in my storage compartment so yes, I am 100% sure it's fixed. The good news is that from your storage compartments they generally can not get in the living spaces of your trailer.

My trailer is an Alpine. My storage compartment is gigantic and is directly adjacent to the winterized furnace room. The top of the wall dividing this is open. The wall is held in place by about 20 screws.

Here are 2 pictures of 2 access holes in the furnace room.

This is correctly sealed (not forgotten).

This one (2 waterline accesses plus both satellite cables) is NOT sealed at all. Wide open down into the belly.

You will NEVER be able to seal the belly ..... there will always be somewhere to get in there - so you have to make sure all access holes from your belly into your trailer are sealed.

The obvious ones are under your sinks and near your toilet. Less obvious ones are in behind your bottom kitchen drawers where electrical wires enter. My access holes were all WAY over-cut

The hardest ones are indeed ones like this I found in my furnace room. Keystone left this completely open. All the other holes were filled. There are about 4-5 holes in this room.

They may as well have turned on the front porch light and put up an "Open House" sign at this access hole.

Now that I have filled it with steel wool and taped it closed the problem is solved. It's terrible workmanship like this that causes such nightmares for nice people like us and it's so easy to prevent with proper inspections - proper processes in place.

The furnace room is a real tight fit BTW, find the smallest person you can to do it. I'm 6.3 and was able to do it - but the smaller the better. Just saying.

Good luck. Hope this helps.
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:46 AM   #48
itat

Try to find all potential access points inside - electrical wires, gas lines, etc. that penetrate the floor and use a pest blocking spray foam to seal the openings. I used this one.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GREAT-STU...4540/203282346

After that, I use Fresh Cab pouches and Essential Oil of Peppermint on cotton balls in 4 ceramic mugs placed strategically throughout my TT and the front pass through storage. I found that if I also put traps baited with peanut butter inside, that attracted the mice more than the Fresh Cab and Peppermint Oil repelled them, so I stop putting traps in the TT.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote