Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2014, 04:29 AM   #1
Hercules1978

Roof leak @ skylight

Long post warning

Well, looks like my camping season is ending earlier than we planned.

3 days ago I stopped at my storage yard to grab an item for a friend. While there I inspected the trailer as I always do after each rain storm. What I found did NOT make me a happy camper.

As seen in the attached pictures there was a large leak in the skylight over the tub.

This let in enough water to saturate a towel that was left in the tub and add over a half gallon of water to my grey tank.

It also left a puddle on top of the vanity counter top that has now swollen up from the absorbed water.

The was also a puddle under the sink that has caused mold to form and destroyed a brand new 8-pack of tp.

Climbed up on the roof and found a few holes in the caulk around the skylight and condensation inside the skylight.

My 21-week old trailer (sticker build date shows May 12, 2014) is now back at my local dealer waiting (inside) for replacement parts and service.
Hercules1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:31 AM   #2
Hercules1978

A few more pics.
Hercules1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:49 AM   #3
therink

For a new trailer that really stinks. When did you last go up and iinspect the caulk on the roof? While this shouldn't happen to a 6 month old unit, caulk does need to be inspected and touched up on a regular basis. I have heard where Keystone has denied coverage and called it lack of maintenance. Hopefully your dealer will go to bat for you.
I make a point to always have a tube of Dicor on hand and check my roof every month or two when washing it. If an area looks llike a potential leak point, I touch it up.
Good luck and I hope the water damage isn't severe.

Recently, I performed a PDI for a friendon a new TT that had been on the dealer lot for 6 months. When I inspected the roof, I found 12 different areas where there were cracks or visible pin holes in the caulk. My point is that you have to be vigilant with roof maintenance.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:52 AM   #4
trueweb

Just went through this myself. On a 6 year old unit, but still it's stressful either way.

My skylight had a crack in it that looks like it was caused by someone at the factory over tightening one of the screws. My guess is, as the plastic lost it's flexibility, the pressure from the screw caused it to crack.

I mention this because, while the holes/gaps in the sealant need to be refilled, they usually end up outside the edge of the skylight and there is usually putty or butyl tape between the skylight and the roof that will keep that water out. So, look for hairline cracks.

Now, if it's getting under the sealant and the tape, then someone just did a crappy job installing the skylight. I find a lot of the work on these RVs is crappy, this is the first one I've owned and it defines the reason I'm shy of products "made in America" these days, cuz' we apparently suck at making things.

The job of fixing is is actually pretty easy and can be done in an afternoon. You just need some plastic scrapers, butyl tape, Dicor lap sealant, rags and a tiny bit of mineral spirits and denatured alcohol. There are some good videos on youtube, but the basics are... Scrape the Sealant off the screw heads. Remove the screws. Slowly work around the skylight sealant until you can lift the skylight (slowly and gently being operative words). Scrape off as much of the excess sealant as you can (careful of the roof). Use the mineral spirits to wipe off the big stuff and smooth it down, wipe lightly with a cloth do not pour and do not saturate the roof. Clean that off with the alcohol. Apply new butyl tape to the bottom skylight. Be sure there are no gaps and make sure it covers all the screw holes. Place the skylight on the roof. Replace screws (tighten them across like you would axle nuts and stop tightening when the butyl tape starts to squish, don't bend the skylight flange by over tightening the screws. Judiciously apply Dicor covering all the edges and screw heads. Let it sit for a day, look for gaps from settling and re-apply if necessary. Job done, go camping again!

It was nerve-racking to do the job the first time, but really it went pretty smoothly and now I know how the work was done. My only fear still is that I had to replace the skylight so the new one did not line up with the old screw holes. In hind sight i should have drilled the new skylight to match to minimize holes in the roof. What I did was re-drill, so I put caulk on all the old holes and made sure the butyl tape covered all of them too.

Probably more info than you needed since a warranty will probably fix you up.
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Hercules1978 -
Sorry to read about your leaking skylight and the subsequent damage it has caused. Unfortunately, you may have a battle on your hands in having the cost of repairs and/or replacement covered by Keystone.

Even though your RV is still covered under warranty, there is an exclusion in that warranty which states that the owner is responsible to maintain the recreational vehicle. The warranty does not apply to routine maintenance "such as caulking, re-caulking.....". Any damage "for any reason" which occurs after the RV is delivered is not covered under the warranty.

If you check in your Owner's Manual, there is quite a lengthy list of exclusions and sections on Keystone's Responsibility and Owner Responsibility.

Leakage and damage caused by that are always tough sell to convince the manufacturer that the caulking was not applied properly during assembly and not a result of lack of maintenance by the owner.

One wouldn't expect holes or gaps in the caulking on a unit that is only 21 weeks "old" and I wish you the best of luck in having this problem fully covered by Keystone. Hopefully, your dealer will go to bat for you and be supportive of your claim.