Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
Chippewa93

Tongue jack broken

So there I was cranking up my trailer to put on my hitch. When "boom" down it came. The actual post is still in place, just doesn't go up and down. Can this be fixed or do I have to buy a new unit
Chippewa93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

The sheer pin inside the mechanism may have snapped causing a sudden collapse of the jack. You can disassemble it and see if the pin has been "sheered off". When you take it apart, remember to lay out the parts/pieces in sequence so when it comes time to reassemble the jack, the pieces will be laid out in the right order.

It would also be a good time to repack the interior/gears with grease while you put it back together.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Or a good time to go electric. Like I say your RVing not working.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:48 AM   #4
Chippewa93

Thought about going electric, but what happens when the trailer has sat a month and you have no juice in the battery, back to hand cranking right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chippewa93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:04 AM   #5
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippewa93 View Post
Thought about going electric, but what happens when the trailer has sat a month and you have no juice in the battery, back to hand cranking right?

Yep.. that would be an option.. me I don't let the battery sit for a month without charging it so that isn't a concern for me. I have had a power jack motor fail, but anything can fail so I use a power jack.. I try my best to take the work out of camping whenever possible..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:48 AM   #6
RichR

Quote:

Get the A&E jack that comes with a crank for backup. I can't speak for other brands.
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:02 AM   #7
outwest

Ditto on the power jack. Some have where the manual override is on the front of the jack, some have a rubber plug on the top that you can easily remove to use the manual override, and others you have to completely remove the cover of the jack (4 screws) to get to the manual override. Obviously the 3rd version is annoying to deal with, especially if breaking camp at night or in the rain.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:37 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

Or you can just back the tow vehicle up to the trailer tongue, plug in the 7 way pin and use the TV's battery. A "dead battery" on a trailer isn't really an "earth shattering" moment if you think about it and use your resources.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:53 AM   #9
GaryWT

We are plugged in all the time so we are good to go with the electric jack. Also the only time the trailer sits for a month is over the winter and the battery is in the basement of my house.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:31 AM   #10
byrdr1

When we bought the used TT, An Electric tongue jack was the first MOD we did. I bought a Barker and it had the crank handle backup. it was the 3500 series. When we traded for the newer TT it was taken off the moment I put the traded TT on the hitch ball. First thing that was put on the new TT..
Best thing we ever did...
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote