Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #1
lakechopaka

cabinet hinges

I recently purchased a Cougar 24RKSWE. Already I have had to replace the screws in three cabinet doors as they became loose and popped out. In checking all of the cabinets and doors all of my hinges will not tighten. It appears they have drilled the holes to big for the screws. Have any of you experienced a similar situation and did Keystone fix it?
Very disappointed as the trailer is only three weeks old!
lakechopaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The cabinet stiles are most likely "sawdust and glue" and will not hold screws well. Nearly all of us have had a few of our cabinet hinges come loose during travel. Most of us will use a wooden match stick or a toothpick and some wood glue, insert that into the hole and reinstall the hinge using the same screw. If that doesn't hold, you can drill all the way through the stile and use a bolt with a nut on the inside. If you elect to do that, you might want to consider using nylock nuts so they won't work loose.

Loose hinges is a "hassle" but in the big picture, they are not really a big deal. Remember that the same hardware is used in your stick/brick home. If you tried to drag it down the highway at 65MPH, a lot more than a few hinges would be loose.

If you're still in warranty, you could take your trailer to the dealership for repair, but that would likely be a lengthy time without your RV and they would probably do the same "match stick repair" stated above.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #3
lakechopaka

thanks

Thank you for the advice!! looks like I am off to get some wood sticks and glue.
Mike
lakechopaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

We use skewer sticks at work. Larger diameter than toothpicks and they seem to "grab" real good.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:36 AM   #5
Fishhawk

If the stiles screw holes are really messed up
and too large for wood sticks
Try using the small plastic drywall type anchors

If needed, You can snip the length to fit the specific screw hole
2- guitars
Fishing stuff
Fishhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #6
placergoldman

Cabinet hinges

I have a 2013 Cougar 27rl and if anyone needs to know,there are about 80 cabinet screws..I did the tooth pick and glue but also bought longer screws..I did this after our first trip....

Tim
placergoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #7
grayghost03

Golf tees make great filler, also.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:58 PM   #8
Alliekats

I have also had numerous issues with hinges coming loose, doors falling completely off. Not happy about it and don't feel I should be running around jerry rigging 80 hinges that should be done right in the first place. It's 5 months old, a 2015, so I am having dealer fix under warranty, and keep fixing until they Are done right. It's in the shop all the time anyway getting a bunch of other defects fixed.

I drive my car all over like crazy and have not had one screw fall out, or part crack, or defects in my fabric, cracks in my floor, trim pieces falling off, etc, etc, my list is very long so won't carry on,,,but bottom line the quality of my particular keystone is very poor. By consumers fixing all their poor workmanship, they don't know the extent of their quality problems. Companies don't understand the importance of doing it right the first time. Better cost benefit and happier customer base.

Karen
2015 Laredo 278 Fifth Wheel
Alliekats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:46 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Alliekats,

Welcome to the forum and to Keystone RVing. It sounds like you're having issues accepting some of the realities of any camper, trailer or motorhome. Put simply, your car that you drive like crazy doesn't have wooden cabinets, a sink, stove, toilet or walls built of wood. You won't find the same "level of engineering sophistication" in trailers that you find in in automobiles for several reasons. If you attempted to tow your stick built house or apartment down the road, it would fall apart much faster than your travel trailer. Building a "house on wheels" that withstands hurricane level forces while resisting earthquake level jolts is a daunting task, and I think Keystone does a remarkable job of keeping things in the right places during travel.

We all have some issues such as an occasional loose hinge or a molding that vibrates loose, but overall, if you consider what we "put our trailers through", they do withstand the rigors of travel pretty well.

Certainly, it's your option to leave your trailer with the dealership service department for the entire first year (the warranty period) but just think of the family experiences and enjoyment you're missing by not using your RV for its intended purpose, even if you do have to carry a screwdriver with you for an occasional "fix".

Happy camping when you do get it fixed to your level of satisfaction.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:01 AM   #10
Lee

Yup..... have the same problem.

I opted for the stainless machine screw and nylon nuts for mine. At least this way I will never have to worry about them working loose.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
pakuma

If you can get to the area behind the screw, drill trough and install a machine screw and nut with a washer to prevent it from tearing out. This has worked for me on several applications.
pakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:56 PM   #12
Bigg-limo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The cabinet stiles are most likely "sawdust and glue" and will not hold screws well. Nearly all of us have had a few of our cabinet hinges come loose during travel. Most of us will use a wooden match stick or a toothpick and some wood glue, insert that into the hole and reinstall the hinge using the same screw. If that doesn't hold, you can drill all the way through the stile and use a bolt with a nut on the inside. If you elect to do that, you might want to consider using nylock nuts so they won't work loose.

Loose hinges is a "hassle" but in the big picture, they are not really a big deal. Remember that the same hardware is used in your stick/brick home. If you tried to drag it down the highway at 65MPH, a lot more than a few hinges would be loose.

If you're still in warranty, you could take your trailer to the dealership for repair, but that would likely be a lengthy time without your RV and they would probably do the same "match stick repair" stated above.

Good Luck.
I used to drive 80 mph, up and down the highways with my other toyhaulers, and nothing happened to them. I drove my Fuzion 65 mph for about 30 or 40 miles to the first camping spot, and I had screws on the floor from my sliding glass door, and half were backed out. They just don't build them like they used to.
Bigg-limo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:27 AM   #13
SAABDOCTOR

Just one last thought. when you finish the repair take the screw out a put some "crazy glue" in the hole and let it cure. this will harden the wood threads put the screw back in it will hold very well. this is what i do with my 1/4 scale ra/c airplanes. never had a screw fall out. and that single cylinder engine vibrates like cazy. worked well for 4 years in my trailer too.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:45 AM   #14
Fishhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
Just one last thought. when you finish the repair take the screw out a put some "crazy glue" in the hole and let it cure. this will harden the wood threads put the screw back in it will hold very well. this is what i do with my 1/4 scale ra/c airplanes. never had a screw fall out. and that single cylinder engine vibrates like cazy. worked well for 4 years in my trailer too.
That is a Good idea with the crazy glue!
The tube is small and handy to have in the camper for lots of repair jobs

I also use wood glue from my shop for stiffining the threads when repairing the camper at home
2- guitars
Fishing stuff
Fishhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:16 PM   #15
outwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg-limo View Post
I used to drive 80 mph, up and down the highways with my other toyhaulers, and nothing happened to them. I drove my Fuzion 65 mph for about 30 or 40 miles to the first camping spot, and I had screws on the floor from my sliding glass door, and half were backed out. They just don't build them like they used to.
I hear ya. Seems nothing is built like it used to be. Heck, my mother has a chest freezer that is 45 yrs old, never been serviced, and runs like a champ. Friend of mine has gone through 2 chest freezers in the past 10 yrs (currently on her 3rd).

I really miss the suspension system that the old Avion bumper pull travel trailers had - split axles with independent leaf spring and independent shocks. Rode so smoothly that nearly everything would still be exactly where you left it, even pens and such that were left on the table.

True, things would cost more if built better, but they'd last a lot longer too. Instead, we've become a society that'd rather buy cheap and then just dispose of things. Just like how people used to only buy one or two cars in their lifetime and now many buy a new one ever couple of years. Heck, I've known people to even throw out their home furniture just because they got tired of their current (but still fairly new) furniture. *shaking head*

back to subject - yeah, the matchstick and wood glue method is the way to go and what the dealer will do, but take forever to do it. @SaabDoctor - great idea of adding in the superglue!

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote