Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2014, 05:55 AM   #1
rosede

Compressed air vs antifreeze when winterizing

I'm sure this question has been asked at least a million times. I did a quick search, but didn't see anything. I'm sure its there, but I didn't dig through all of the posts, so I decided just to ask.

In the past I've always used antifreeze to winterize, but I'm considering using the compressed air method this year. Why? Because last year I had CW winterize my camper and they really caused me a lot of issues when I de-winterized. They missed two very important area's, which froze and caused me grief.

I've only had this camper for two years, and both previous winters I paid someone to winterize it. The first year it I took it to the dealer that I purchased it from and it worked out with no issues. Last year, I had planned to do it myself, but I got busy and I had to have it winterized TODAY so I took it to CW. When I de-winterized this spring, I found discovered two frozen items, which flooded my bedroom. I was not happy. CW replaced the broken items, but I will never take my camper back to CW to have any work done.

Anyway, what is your opinion on using the compressed air method to winterize your camper? Have you tried it? Does it do a good job? Or is there a chance that some lines will not get completely blown out and might freeze?

Please share your opinion and whether I should stick with antifreeze or if I should try compressed air.

Thanks.

Daryl

rosede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:17 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Just like the question, "Which is better...insert your product...?" No matter what product you insert, you'll get answers with good rationale both for and against whatever you're asking about.

That said, I think that using air to winterize is a good alternative "IF" you can blow out all the water. If you do, you're "golden" if you don't, then next year when you de-winterize, you'll likely find damage. The same can be said of using antifreeze, so it comes back to how much attention you pay to getting all the water out and/or replacing it with antifreeze.

For me, living in northern Michigan, I know the trailer will be exposed to days of sub zero temperatures and will freeze if not properly winterized. For that reason, I use both methods. I first drain everything, then blow as much water as possible out of the lines, then fill the lines with antifreeze. Since doing that, I've not had any damage. When it comes to the antisiphon valve in the black tank flush, I simply don't trust air or antifreeze there, so I just remove the valve, shake the water out, put it in a ziplock bag and keep it with the batteries in the garage.

I might add that while in south Louisiana (where it seldom goes below 20*F, I had damage by "waiting to the last minute" and using air to clear the lines. That was my "fault", not the air or the RV. I didn't get all the water out of the lines and they froze in 20* temps. I also had damage when I just ran a gallon of antifreeze in the lines and called it "done". It's not about which method so much as it is about doing the job correctly.

In Nebraska, I would suggest you do both. Blow the lines, get as much water as you can out, then add a couple of gallons of antifreeze by using the water pump to get it into the lines. Antifreeze is $1.97 a gallon on sale right now, it'll be $4 a gallon in November. So, if you plan, it'll cost you for your time and $4 or if you don't plan, it'll cost your time and $8. Either way, cheap insurance, considering the hassle of drying a wet carpet and/or replacing a $45 antisiphon valve the day you were planning to leave for that first camping trip next spring.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:50 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosede View Post

Anyway, what is your opinion on using the compressed air method to winterize your camper? Have you tried it? Does it do a good job? Or is there a chance that some lines will not get completely blown out and might freeze?

Please share your opinion and whether I should stick with antifreeze or if I should try compressed air.

Thanks.

Daryl
Daryl:

I've used both methods and both have worked. And yes, there is a chance that "some lines will not get completely blown out and might freeze". If done properly, this shouldn't happen but then ........

As JRTJH stated, using both methods pretty much guarantees success. Air is free and the antifreeze is cheap.

Doesn't matter which method you use, as along as you don't forget about the black tank flush, the outside shower, and the ........, you'll be fine.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:09 AM   #4
rosede

Thanks for the quick replies this is some very good advice.

The antisiphon valve for the black flush was one item that CW missed, which froze and broke. From the research that I did, the antisiphon valve should have been blown out to prevent it from freezing, which apparently they didn't do. I figured if I have to get the generator and air compressor out to do that portion, then I should use it to winterize the entire camper.

I was worried about not getting all the water out via compressed air, so it makes sense following up with antifreeze. I'm not concerned about the cost of the antifreeze, I just want to make sure whichever method I choose, is correct and I don't repeat what I went through this past spring.

A followup question to using compressed air: do you leave the hot water bypass open when blowing out with the compressed air, or do you close them just as you would with using the antifreeze?

Thank you for the advice. Its always appreciated.

rosede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:32 AM   #5
mikey98e

Here in MA we get a few very cold days during the winter. I've used compressed air the past 12 years without any problem. I remove the low point drain plugs and the anti siphon valve after I've blown air through all faucets. I don't use the hot water bypass. In my old trailer, I needed to disconnect the water pump too because it was at the tank drain level and water would accumulate in it. This trailer the water pump is above the tank so I don't disconnect it.
-mike
mikey98e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:02 AM   #6
GMcKenzie

For those who use air only, do you still put anti-freeze in the sink traps? Or do you blow them out somehow?

I find a big jug of antifreeze is the answer and I don't go easy with it.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:08 AM   #7
Kristi

We have mild winters compared to most of ya'll (plural) and we blew out the lines with compressed air. As Festus said, don't forget the outside shower... that can get expensive! We also put antifreeze in the sink & shower traps.

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #8
Javi

Down here I just blow the lines out with compressed air.. I also don't bypass the WH, instead I drain it and remove the plug and make sure it is blown dry. Don't forget the outdoor shower and outdoor kitchen if equipped.. And be real careful to get all the water out of the toilet valve too..

It takes me a good hour to make darn sure I get all the water out... but it works and like Festus said... air is free.. 'sides we camp a bunch in the wintertime down here..

P.S. I still pour a gallon of antifreeze between the toilet, holding tank and two sinks plus the shower and their respective holding tanks.

But If I was staying where it gets cold, I'd run antifreeze in all the lines after I got done with the air..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #9
GaryWT

I do both as others do. Blow everything out and then pump antifreeze in. I drain the water heater and leave it on bypass from the beginning. I dump antifreeze in the sinks, enough to have some in the tanks as well.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #10
pjhansman

I have no issues with blowing out the lines....but I can SEE the antifreeze thru my PEX lines. If I don't see pink, the job ain't done.

I drain the water and pump antifreeze into the system (including the black water flush lines) and pour lots into the sinks, shower, toilet, grey and black water tanks. I by-pass and drain the HW tank.

Last winter was a real test....and I survived with no leaks, so I'm happy.
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:59 PM   #11
kellydog98

I don't really have much to add except this. If you have a washer line in your rig don't forget it, especially if your like me and don't have a washer or dryer. Without these it's easy to forget about the water lines that DO exist.

kellydog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #12
therink

I live where Temps go below 0 F. I prefer to run antifreeze using the bypass valve/kit on the pump. Really it takes me about 15 minutes and 1.5 gals. I also blow out the back tank flush line and vacuum breaker with compressed air. I have never had anything freeze and couldn't imagine paying a dealer to do that.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:00 PM   #13
Hoojs12840

I too do both air then antifreeze. Got burned once with just air. (My fault). I also took the shower head off the line and unscrewed it from the faucet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #14
Desert185

This thread illustrates the importance of personal involvement when it comes to the maintenance of all your vehicles. Not all maintenance facilities, or the folks who man them, pay attention to the details required. All my vehicles have benefitted from that personal involvement, even though I know my limitations and often need someone more experienced with the proper tools and equipment to do the job. At the very least, you can speak with some knowledge concerning the options available about what needs to be done. The result? You very well may save yourself money and grief.

To address the thread...I like a combination of air and antifreeze. Never had a problem when I had a motorhome in Alaska. Don't forget the toilet and antifreeze in the p-traps...
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:40 PM   #15
TAZ23

Either way works and the Keystone manual has a step by step explanation for both ways. I prefer the air method and have had no problems with it. Witch ever method you use, just take your time and do it properly and you should have no problems. As others have said make sure you take care of any outside lines or faucets. I also hang the shower head down to make sure no water gets trapped in the shower hose.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:22 PM   #16
BobnLee

Forgot about the black tank flush didnt blow out the line there but did put antifreeze in the black tank. Now the black tank flush doesnt work and it feels it is plugged. Any suggestions ??? getting ready to winterize early this year. Daughter getting married here and it is going to be a little crazy around here. Could that have been the problem with the filled and frozen toilet last winter ?
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:20 AM   #17
schwalbach

My method here in Wisconsin is blow with air, then I have an extra pump that I hook up to the hose connections and pump antifreeze through everything, then I flush with air again.

Then

A week or so later I do it again! that way if I missed a step, I probably won't miss it the second time or the other way around.

Have had camper and horse trailer with living quarters for 25 years and so far no problems.

If nothing else the second treatment a week later gives peace of mind.

2012 Keystone Laredo 275SBH
2015 Chevrolet Silverado Double Cab
schwalbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:42 AM   #18
zuley

Canadian Thanksgiving Day. My wife plays with a dead turkey inside the house and I play winterize the camper. I use both methods, air and antifreeze. Have never had an issue. However, last year I forgot to pour any down the drain pipes. It was mid December when I remembered and drove out to our storage site to do so. No issues this spring.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:14 AM   #19
mikey98e

Besides blowing out the lines; I dump a couple of gallons of antifreeze down the drains to make sure there is some in the p-traps and a couple of gallons down the toilet.
-mike
mikey98e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:30 AM   #20
slow

Other than cost of the antifreeze, is there a reason not to allow the antifreeze into the hot water and fresh water tanks?
slow is offline   Reply With Quote