Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
Fishhawk

B&W Patriot hitch query

I'm a first timer in the fiver market and will be buying a hitch soon

Dealer says the B&W Patriot 16k non-sliding with rails model is perfect for my x lite Cougar rig and the 2500 GMC short bed

Based on my own research, I'm inclined to agree with the dealer. The Cougar front cap allows plenty of turning radius, so the non-sliding model should be fine

I would appreciate any input from folks with experience with the Patriot 16k
regarding product quality, ease of hook up, smoothness of pull.....etc..

I'm wondering;
Is a hitch suspension add on like a MorRyde something I should consider?

Thanks

Hawk
2- guitars
Fishing stuff
Fishhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
BOWWOW

Patriot

I have the B&W Companion not the Patriot, but I have had no issues with it. It is easy to get in and out of the bed and it is very smooth and quiet. I like the fact that you can have an empty truck bed in five minutes. The gooseneck feature is also nice.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:25 AM   #3
Fishhawk

Thanks for the info

Looks like this will make me a good hitch too

Now I'll need to get the hooking/unhooking a fiver procedure down smooth
and enjoy our new toys
Still have 3 weeks to go before our 29RLI arrives

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWWOW View Post
I have the B&W Companion not the Patriot, but I have had no issues with it. It is easy to get in and out of the bed and it is very smooth and quiet. I like the fact that you can have an empty truck bed in five minutes. The gooseneck feature is also nice.
2- guitars
Fishing stuff
Old 08-24-2014, 06:55 AM   #4
Jeff and Rita

We have a B&W Patriot hitch in our 2013 Chevrolet 2500 HD.... We pull a Fuzion F310..... no issues.... even the turning radius is good. I think they are a good choice.
Jeff and Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
cblong

i would spend a little more and the companion. Its nice when you take out the hitch theres no rails in the bed. Then you can use the bed and not have to clean out all the crap that gets stuck under the rails. I have a 330 RBK with a standard bed and a non sliding hitch and I have no issues with turning or clearance issues.
cblong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
bsmith0404

Yes go with a Mor-Ryde or TrailAir pin if you can, they make the tow much smoother.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #7
rnkburg

If you want a clean bed don't get the companion. Yes I said that outloud. Yes the companion is an awesome hitch but the removal and install takes a little time.

I have the patriot hitch and I have the curt x5 fifth wheel adapter that goes into the bw gooseneck hitch. The x5 makes the rails in the truck and then the patriot goes right in. I can have it all out in a matter of minutes and be ready to pull my gooseneck or have the bed completely empty

I love the patriot as it's much smoother than other choices. You can adjust the front to back and height just like the companion. I tow a raptor 300mp with mine using a Chevy 3500 dually 4x4 ext cab duramax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #8
arcticcatred

Huh? Having the Companion does give you a clean bed in minutes. Especially the new style one bolt and 2 pins its out. I would highly recommend the Companion Made in the USA with USA made steel.

2014 Redwood 38rl black & silver
Cougar Xlite 24 RLS "SOLD"
2014 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3 4x4 3.42 ext cab
arcticcatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #9
Fishhawk

Yup
X2 on this post

I did a lot of research and looking at utube videos on various brands of hitches

But probably more importantly,I've read the postings of the folks who actually have this hitch

Then, I called the B&W factory and discussed my list of questions with them

I can't see how Removing The Champion with gooseneck insert could be any faster or easier
Remove 1 bolt , add some muscle
and this bad boy is coming off the truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticcatred View Post
Huh? Having the Companion does give you a clean bed in minutes. Especially the new style one bolt and 2 pins its out. I would highly recommend the Companion Made in the USA with USA made steel.
2- guitars
Fishing stuff
Old 08-26-2014, 01:53 PM   #10
BOWWOW

I forgot to mention that I sometimes use a block and tackle or an electric winch to remove the 2 components. Work smarter not harder.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #11
Fishhawk

Yup
My old back loves my block and tackle setup

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWWOW View Post
I forgot to mention that I sometimes use a block and tackle or an electric winch to remove the 2 components. Work smarter not harder.
2- guitars
Fishing stuff
Old 08-28-2014, 07:03 PM   #12
rnkburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticcatred View Post

Yes it does but using the b and w patriot along with the curt x5 adapter you have no bolts. The adapter sits in the b and w gooseneck ball hole and pons like the ball. It puts rails in the bed for the patriot to go into. Yes the companion is a awesome hitch. This is just another option. Yep the hitch is heavy just like the companion. And the x5 is not light either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #13
racin500

Just installed the Companion

Already had the goose-neck so this was and obvious choice. The new model 3500 has a single bolt release now. Much better than the old 3000. Also, the 3500 is rated for 20,000# and 5000# hitch. One model covers almost everything and MADE IN AMERICA.
racin500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:46 AM   #14
pmedic433

We have the patriot in a 96 F 250 short bed and have no issues at all! Really love the simplicity of it.
pmedic433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #15
Yosemitebob

As far as the non-sliding hitch goes, I dry camp quite a bit with friends and their 5vers. It has happened once so far, and I hope that is all it happens, I had to pull the friends 5ver out to the highway so it could get towed. If I did not have the slider he would have had to call someone else to get him out of the desert first. Just saying, he had the square front end and I had to slide back on my hitch to maneuver him out for just over 12 miles.

Just something to think about.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote