Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2021, 08:55 AM   #21
DawgofWar11B

Immediate help needed

We have a zeppelin Zii 291 that power worked on at camping world but I get it back home and got nothing but the microwave. I can't get the pop out or lights to come one and we leave tomorrow. Camping world was ZERO help. I've changed all the small fuses but I'm not an electrician I'm an HVAC-R and plumbing tech.

Please help asap

Thank you

Whit
DawgofWar11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:18 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

What exactly doesn't work? You have 2 sources of power in the RV; 12vdc and 120vac. Each do different things. Your examples of failures, slide and lights, are 12vdc. The microwave, which works, is 120vac. Did someone turn the battery disconnect cutting the 12vdc? Have you messed with the battery(s)?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:27 AM   #23
DawgofWar11B

Camping world put in a new battery when we bought it last week. It was hooked up to power there and the slide out worked there. No I have it plugged into my garage 30amp outlet and I'm not getting pop out power or lights anywhere inside or out. Trailer lights work. I have zero power on the pop outs, the interior and exterior lights. I can't get into the bathroom because the pop out is inside.
Old 08-14-2021, 09:28 AM   #24
DawgofWar11B

Where would I find a battery disconnect? The kid who did the walk through was horrible so I'm here asking questions trying not to loose my mind.
Old 08-14-2021, 09:40 AM   #25
notanlines

Dawg, the microwave works when you are plugged in, no other time. Your tail/running lights come from the tow vehicle. EVERYTHING else works off your battery.
Look for a bad battery connection, dead battery, or the battery cut off probably located on drivers side exterior service box or located near the battery.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:45 AM   #26
CedarCreekWoody

Are you sure the 30 amp outlet you plugged into is a proper 120 volt RV outlet and not a 30 amp 240 volt dryer outlet? Your camper requires 120 volts.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 10:26 AM   #27
DawgofWar11B

It is plugged into an RV outlet i had a commercial electrical buddy if mine install on my garage when another friend had a 5th wheel here. Yes I have microwave power, no I have no inside out outside camping lights. Yes I have trailer lights when hooked up. No there is no shut off for the battery on the outside o inside of the camper.

It's a 2005 keystone zeppelin zii 291 and we are new to this entire thing. It worked at the RV place which makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong since they delivered it but I'm just now able to dedicate time to getting things ready to go. I may have to work on it at the camp sites we are staying at during our drive...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210814_134259.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	35262   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210814_134400.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	35263   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210814_140536.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	35264  
Old 08-14-2021, 10:35 AM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

I looked at a video of a trailer like yours and didn't see a battery disconnect in it. Not definitive but you looking as well probably means you don't have one. In that case your 12vdc disappeared.

What was the exact sequence on the battery replacement? You say everything worked at CW and they replaced the battery. Did it all work before or AFTER they replaced the battery?

In the first picture there are 2 red fuses between the screw lug terminals labeled "reverse polarity", have you pulled them to check and make sure they are good?
Old 08-14-2021, 10:36 AM   #29
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgofWar11B View Post
It is plugged into an RV outlet i had a commercial electrical buddy if mine install on my garage when another friend had a 5th wheel here. Yes I have microwave power, no I have no inside out outside camping lights. Yes I have trailer lights when hooked up. No there is no shut off for the battery on the outside o inside of the camper.

It's a 2005 keystone zeppelin zii 291 and we are new to this entire thing. It worked at the RV place which makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong since they delivered it but I'm just now able to dedicate time to getting things ready to go. I may have to work on it at the camp sites we are staying at during our drive...
See pm.....
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 10:46 AM   #30
DawgofWar11B

I replaced all the fuses one for one and yes the lower red was popped but the battery was changed before our walk through so the slide out and a few lights were working at that point. Then the delivered it to me since my truck brake lines rotted out but only 15 minutes away.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:14 PM   #31
travelin texans

Get your electrician buddy over that wired your plug to help with his volt meter. It's very hard to help someone that has little to no electrical knowledge diagnose a problem from our arm chair.
All the items you state that don't work seem to be all 12 volt so it's either battery or converter problems or both.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:31 PM   #32
DawgofWar11B

So found that the battery was wired backwards from camping world... so both of the little fuses the wire go into seemed shot when I ohmed them out. Fuses inside are still good. Disconnect the battery and trying to see if she will take a charge. Either way I'm going to be working in this through our long road trip. Anyone out there by any of the places we are going?

Niagara falls
Columbus OH.
Lexington KY
Middletown MO
Graceland
Madison MS
If so let me know and thank you all for the help. My electrician buddy is working in his truck radiator 2 hours away. Also thank you Javi! That phone call helped a lot to get me in the correct direction.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:57 PM   #33
CedarCreekWoody

If the battery was installed backwards the most certainly the two red fuses inside your camper are blown (the two shown in your first photo.)
Andersen hitch
Old 08-14-2021, 01:09 PM   #34
DawgofWar11B

Yes one was toast but I replaced them and they aren't any more. I need to get two of the fuses that are right after the battery and replace them on the road. Hopefully then I will have power and AC. Lord know my german shepard and wife will be very unhappy without both for me it will be like Iraq all over again lol
Old 08-14-2021, 01:32 PM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgofWar11B View Post
Yes one was toast but I replaced them and they aren't any more. I need to get two of the fuses that are right after the battery and replace them on the road. Hopefully then I will have power and AC. Lord know my german shepard and wife will be very unhappy without both for me it will be like Iraq all over again lol

Your issues have centered around DC power. I am assuming your AC power is OK? If so your wife will have all the 120vac appliances.

Do you have an auto parts store nearby? They may have the fuses you need and it won't take but a few minutes to replace them. That way you would be good to go for the entire trip vs trying to find parts and replace them (while doing without power) on the road.
Old 08-14-2021, 01:48 PM   #36
DawgofWar11B

We are heading to wally world to get a water filter and see if they have the auto reset fuses but yes we are passing by a few auto stores we can stop in and pick up a few so we have spares.
Old 08-14-2021, 03:53 PM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

Your battery has two cables (possibly more, but two large cables) attached. One to the + terminal and one to the - terminal. On older trailers, those cables are usually black and white..... WHITE IS NEGATIVE and that cable goes to a bolt or a screw attached to the trailer frame. BLACK IS POSITIVE and that cable goes to two "DC circuit breakers" mounted on the frame...

MANY people confuse the cable colors and attach the black cable to the negative battery terminal. When they do that, it immediately blows one or both of those 40 amp red fuses that are marked "REVERSE BATTERY PROTECTION FUSES".....

First, connect the battery properly with the negative cable (white) to the negative battery terminal and the positive cable (black) to the positive battery terminal.... After doing that, then replace the two fuses and you should get power through the converter/charger to recharge the battery and to operate the DC systems in your trailer.

DO NOT EXTEND THE SLIDE until after the battery is fully charged. Doing so will put an "overload" on your converter and could burn it up....

As for the appliances, the reason they aren't working is because the "control systems" for everything operates from the 12 volt battery power. The thermostat that powers the furnace and air conditioner needs battery power to turn the air conditioner on, the refrigerator needs 12 volt battery power to operate the control system that switches the refrigerator from LP gas to AC electricity.... Those appliances will not work unless there is a battery or the converter to provide that "battery voltage".... So, it's no surprise that you have "nothing but the microwave working. it's the only appliance that doesn't have 12 volts controlling it....

Connect the battery properly, change out the fuses and give the battery a couple hours to charge up. I think you'll be "back in business"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 05:46 PM   #38
DawgofWar11B

Thank you so much! You absolutely answered every question I had and a gentleman from earlier called and walked me through it all too. I haven't found the replacement auto reset breakers but all the fuses have been replaced. I will hunt some down in Niagara falls or Columbus Ohio. Camping world did wire it backwards and I have the battery charging over night currently so we can leave ing the morning.

Thank you again every one who jumped in to help. I feel I am back in the Army surrounded by my brothers!
Old 08-14-2021, 05:58 PM   #39
CedarCreekWoody

If you don't find autoreset breakers soon just use manual reset. Most campers use manual.. Are you sure the current ones aren't manual? They would have a small button the side.
Andersen hitch
Old 08-14-2021, 06:04 PM   #40
DawgofWar11B

I don't believe they are but I will look in the morning time before we roll out.