Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2014, 03:52 PM   #21
jsmith948

If you have completely discharged the battery several times, I would think it is toast. As others have said, if you are testing voltage when you are connected to shore power, you are seeing what the converter is sending to the battery. I would put a different battery (maybe one from one of your vehicles?) into the trailer and see what happens. I think you need a battery.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:20 PM   #22
Hoojs12840

Dealers going to call me tomorrow and I am going to ask for a new battery. I had a Interstate brand deep cycle in my TT for 5 yrs and it was still working excellently after 5 yrs and we did a lot of dry camping.

Is it possible one the 2 circuit breakers mounted above the battery could be be bad? Just want to make sure before I start swapping battery's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:47 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

There's really no way to check the circuit breakers except to overload them and see if they open the circuit. That's not good for them nor is it a reliable test to see if they will work in the future. If you're really concerned, they cost about $4 each and should be available at almost any auto parts store and certainly at any RV parts store. They are held in place by two self tapping metal screws and there are two electrical connections on each. If you do replace them, I'd advise only replacing one at a time so you don't get the wires mixed up.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:40 AM   #24
Hoojs12840

So I took the battery out and put it on a charger in my shop. Within 2 hrs it was at 12.55 volts and holding .

So not sure what it is. If the converters sending 13v to the battery posts why will it not charge the battery in the rv?

Old 10-05-2014, 06:08 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Have you taken the battery to a "battery shop" or "auto parts store" and had it load tested? That's the first step, I think. A battery can be "charged to 12+ volts and show that on a multimeter, but can be unable to discharge that voltage into the circuit when required because of sulfur buildup on the plates.

Here's a "pretty good quick explanation" I found:

A Lead Acid Battery is made up of plates of lead in a case filled with an electrolyte (dilute sulphuric acid). When the battery discharges, some of the lead from the plates combines with the electrolyte to make lead sulfate (PbSO4) which builds up on the surface of the plates as crystals (as electrons leave the battery as electricity). This is called sulfation.

When the battery is next charged this process is reversed with the lead sulfate crystals breaking down - returning the lead to the plates and restoring the electrolyte to its original composition. BUT, each time a battery goes through this discharge/charge cycle some of the lead sulfate crystals remain and over time harden, thicken, and grow over the surface of the lead plates. This is a particular problem when batteries are left discharged for long periods of time and when they are deeply discharged.

Lead sulfate on the plates of a battery acts like an insulator reducing the plate area in contact with electrolyte. Over time this build up of lead sulfate crystals will result in a battery which cannot hold much charge - i.e. effectively a dead battery which needs to be replaced.

It came from this link: http://www.reuk.co.uk/Battery-Desulfation.htm

I wouldn't recommend trying to build a "home made desulfation device" rather have the battery tested and if it won't support a load, buy a new one. The way RV converters "protect" against sulfation is to increase the battery charging voltage to 13.6 VDC for a period of time at the beginning of the charge circuit. This happens at the beginning of every charge cycle. But, if your RV is plugged in "continuously" and the battery is never discharged, that "desulfation" isn't done as frequently as needed. That would put your battery (over a period of months/years) in a "constant state of partial charge/discharge without desulfation and may be why your battery won't charge/support a load.

If you put a multimeter on the battery (with the shore power disconnected) and try to open the slide, you'll probably see the voltage across the battery drop to 6 or 7 volts if the battery is unable to hold a load. A load check at an auto parts store would confirm the problem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:44 AM   #26
Bob Landry

Everyone tries to turn converters into rocket science and it just isn't that hard. You are trying to troubleshoot the whole system at once and you're chasing your tail.
Turn the battery switch off or disconnect it. Plug into shore power and everything that is 12VDC in the trailer should work. The converter does not need a battery to do this. That verifies the part of the converter that powers the trailer on shore power. The other part switches between shore and battery and charges and maintains the battery.
If you have lights, etc, you should read 12VDC between the two large lugs/cables at the converter. that's the connection to the battery. If you don't, the converter is bad.
Go to the battery and measure 12V at the 30A fuse. The voltage will vary depending on which stage the charger is in, but you should read something higher than pure battery voltage.
Have a battery store load test the battery. That eliminates all of the guess work. Batteries are either good or bad. If the fuses and C/Bs are good there is nothing left but a bad converter. If yours is a WFCO, my guess goes witht eh converter.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #27
Hoojs12840

Ghost in the Converter

I think your right. I've tried to solve a problem best left to professionals I'm thinking it's the battery. I'm going to take it with me tomorrow and get it load tested. We have a reputable battery store that has always done right by me.

One question though. When I turn the battery disconnect in the docking station to off, the landing gear will not work even with shore power. If I put the battery disconnect in the on position the landing gear works. This with the battery in the rv or completely removed.

Every other light, switch, slide works except the landing gear. I assume that's a factory design?

Old 10-05-2014, 11:10 AM   #28
Hoojs12840

99% sure it's the battery now. On my battery charger for 12hrs best it was up to was 11.55, battery charger gave me the green charged light. I use this charger tender for a lot of things and it's never been anything but solid.

Now that both the converter and a separate battery charger could only get the battery to 11.55 I know it's the battery and not my RV.

Guess I just got a crappy battery or it had been at the dealer for a long time before it was installed in my New RV. If I had the receipt I could go swap it, but I guess I am going to have to get the dealer to give me a new one or send me a check for this and by something besides a Exide.