Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #1
Whitewolf

Tri-Pod Stabilizing Jack

I've seen some rigs with them and some without them. We haven't taken delivery of our High Country yet, so I don't know how much shaken's gonna be goin' on. You thoughts are much appreciated.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
homer3

I really can't speak to that. Dealer gave us a tripod when we purchased trailer so I have not had it out without tripod on. I know the coach will bounce somewhat.

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

There are a few members, including myself, who have tried the tripod and found it not only ineffective but also cumbersome. After a short trial period, I sold the tripod on Craig's List. More members have purchased and installed the Steadyfast or JT Strongarm stabilizing systems and have found them to perform much better, are easy to set up and there is no need to remove and find a place to store them.

More expensive but far better results and will go a long way to reduce or eliminate any "shakin' " that might or might not be going on.

If I were you, I'd spend the money on one of the two systems mentioned above.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Festus2. We tried a tripod and found it really didn't help much at all. The two stabilizer systems, Steadyfast and JT Strongarm are excellent choices and run about $300 for the kits. Installation is relatively simple if you're somewhat handy.

There is an alternative to the above kits. BAL Lock-Arm Stabilizing Bars do the same thing as the above kits, come 2 bars per box and cost about $70 per box. To stabilize a fifth wheel, you'd need 3 boxes, two bars per front landing gear jack and one for each rear jack. That's a total of about $210, quite a bit cheaper than the above systems, just as effective (IMHO) and easy to use. Here's one source: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I were you, I'd look at alternatives to the tripod, it just doesn't seem to stabilize much except the kingpin.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
KanTC

As Festus said -- we had JT Strongarms installed & our bulky tripod has been collecting dust since then. Several stabilizer brands available now & well-worth considering.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #6
bsmith0404

I used the tripod on my last RV, it helped. I combined the tripod with the x chocks. The biggest difference I noticed was less movement at night while sleeping. Before the x-chocks and tripod I felt every time the kids rolled over, the combination of the two reduced that quite a bit. I never really noticed or was bothered by movement during the day.

I don't have any experience with the above mentioned systems. The new RV has the 6 point system, I don't feel any movement.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #7
JeffS

We have had Steady Fast Stabilizers on our last two 5th Wheels and find them far superior to the old tripod. As stated earlier, easy and no storage issue.
Huntley, Illinois
formerly Norton Shores, Michigan
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:32 PM   #8
therink

I put a set of Bal locking arm Stabilizers on the landing gear gear and a set in the rear scissor jacks and ditched my tripod. No more shaking except the suspension bounce. The tripod was Ok but a pain to set up, heavy and took at lot of storage room.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #9
Whitewolf

Wow. Isn't there anyone who has a try-pod and likes it?

The few times we were in the 305RL it seemed rock solid. OK, solid compared to our Passport and 'Like a Rock' solid compared to the Forest River Windjammer we're tradin' in.

Thanks all and keep 'em comn'.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #10
bobbecky

From the Keystone site, it appears the rig doesn't come with a Mor Ryde king pin unit, which would make a tripod useless, but with the conventional front jacks and rear stabilizers and standard king pin, you might find more stability with a tripod. I would think, an aluminum model might be easier to setup and weight less to transport. You might try it without, to see if any shaking is OK, and if it shakes too much, then spend the money on tripod or some of the other stabilizers mentioned. No sense spending fun money if you don't need to.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #11
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Bought Tripod used, works for me just fine used with stabilizers and CHEAP Also have X chock but have not needed or tried it yet. Prior to having the Tripod was plenty of rocking and rolling
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:12 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

If you think about the suspension on a fifth wheel, you'll see that a stabilizer (tripod) on the front will help prevent movement at the point of contact (king pin) but will do nothing to remove the "suspension bounce" or movement in the rear of the RV. X-Chocks will help eliminate any "rolling" of the wheels and stop a bit of the "side to side" movement at the suspension, but can do nothing to stop the "up-down" movement of the springs. So, with a tripod, you will still have suspension bounce both vertically and horizontally (up/down and left/right) at the suspension any time there's movement induced behind the axles. A portion of this movement will be felt forward of the axles because the frame is "essentially rigid".

If you lower your rear scissors stabilizer jacks until the "almost touch the ground" and then push them side to side, you'll see that they "roll a little". This lateral movement is common in scissors jacks and demonstrates that they won't stop all "lateral movement" at the rear of the coach. This lateral movement can only be reduced if the "roll" in the scissors jacks is eliminated. The "stabilizer bar" type system does this.

Steadyfast, JT Strongarm and BAL Lock-Arm stabilizers installed on the front landing gear will all help eliminate all movement at that location (forward of the axles) and installing a set (2) from the rear scissors jacks to the rear bumper/frame will stop movement behind the axles. This action is called "triangulation" and is extremely effective at stabilizing an RV. The only essential movement remaining is suspension flex/tire bounce in the center of the coach. That movement is significantly reduced by frame rigidity.

Unfortunately, with a tripod under the king pin, the only place movement is stopped is at that point. It is reduced somewhat in the elevated portion of the coach, but as you move further back, there is no appreciable reduction because of the coach suspension.

Think of it as holding a garden hose in your hand and turning on the water. The hose will "whip" back and forth but where you're holding it in your hand, it will be steady. That's kind of what a tripod does, it stabilizes the area where it's applied, but can do nothing for the "other end" of the coach........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-13-2014, 12:09 PM   #13
airforceret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post

The few times we were in the 305RL it seemed rock solid. OK, solid compared to our Passport and 'Like a Rock' solid compared to the Forest River Windjammer we're tradin' in.

ok... i'll admit it. I have and use my tripod... I've looked at the other kits and they all looked like too much work (effort) for me to install compared to the couple minutes to pop the tripod up!!! Maybe one day I'll go with the other kits as they are probably more stable... ok... or maybe not! LOL
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:59 PM   #14
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you think about the suspension on a fifth wheel, you'll see that a stabilizer (tripod) on the front will help prevent movement at the point of contact (king pin) but will do nothing to remove the "suspension bounce" or movement in the rear of the RV. X-Chocks will help eliminate any "rolling" of the wheels and stop a bit of the "side to side" movement at the suspension, but can do nothing to stop the "up-down" movement of the springs. So, with a tripod, you will still have suspension bounce both vertically and horizontally (up/down and left/right) at the suspension any time there's movement induced behind the axles. A portion of this movement will be felt forward of the axles because the frame is "essentially rigid".

If you lower your rear scissors stabilizer jacks until the "almost touch the ground" and then push them side to side, you'll see that they "roll a little". This lateral movement is common in scissors jacks and demonstrates that they won't stop all "lateral movement" at the rear of the coach. This lateral movement can only be reduced if the "roll" in the scissors jacks is eliminated. The "stabilizer bar" type system does this.

Steadyfast, JT Strongarm and BAL Lock-Arm stabilizers installed on the front landing gear will all help eliminate all movement at that location (forward of the axles) and installing a set (2) from the rear scissors jacks to the rear bumper/frame will stop movement behind the axles. This action is called "triangulation" and is extremely effective at stabilizing an RV. The only essential movement remaining is suspension flex/tire bounce in the center of the coach. That movement is significantly reduced by frame rigidity.

Unfortunately, with a tripod under the king pin, the only place movement is stopped is at that point. It is reduced somewhat in the elevated portion of the coach, but as you move further back, there is no appreciable reduction because of the coach suspension.

Think of it as holding a garden hose in your hand and turning on the water. The hose will "whip" back and forth but where you're holding it in your hand, it will be steady. That's kind of what a tripod does, it stabilizes the area where it's applied, but can do nothing for the "other end" of the coach........
John,

You make some good points, but I have to disagree with you. When the suspension moves the entire trailer moves with it. The tri pod stabilizes the king pin, but there are also residual effects at the axle suspension. If the king pin cannot move the axle suspension movement will be reduced. By using a tri pod on the king pin, x-chocks on the wheels, and stabilizers at the rear you are eliminating movement points. They will not eliminate all of the suspension movement, but they will provide added stability which will reduce the bounce somewhat.

As I stated earlier, the main difference I noticed was in the front bedroom, which pretty much goes along with your point that it will stabilize at the king pin. That was the main reason I bought the tri pod, so I would feel less movement while trying to sleep. Was the tri pod the answer to all movement? No. Was it better than nothing for a minimal investment? Yes. Are there better systems? Absolutely, but they come at a cost.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 05-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Brent,

I think the "main thing" to consider is that if you're happy with your system, then that's all that really matters for your application. I'd say, sleep well with the tripod on place and don't let the small stuff get ya......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-13-2014, 07:47 PM   #16
bsmith0404

I agree, except one thing........my new Alpine has the 6 point leveling system, no movement what so ever. I gave the tripod to my dad

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 05-14-2014, 02:34 AM   #17
Lost

Quote:
I've seen some rigs with them and some without them. We haven't taken delivery of our High Country yet, so I don't know how much shaken's gonna be goin' on. You thoughts are much appreciated.
We have a High Country and I also was looking into a stabilizing system before we used the unit. We found that we don't need a stabilizer, the unit is soild without it. I would use your new unit first and then make your decision.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:26 AM   #18
airforceret

I have traditionally lowered the rear jacks before lifting the front (to make it level) whenever possible as to reduce some of the loading of the suspension. This seems to help reduce some of the shakiness as well.
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:43 AM   #19
mguay

I have a tri-pod and LOVE it! It prevents me from banging my head on the pin box!!
Old 05-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #20
204Jordan

Quote:

We've only been out with our 24REL a couple of nights but like the tripod very much. I admit we've not tried the Steadyfast or JT Strongarm systems, but our tripod provides a lot of stability. Just my 2cw.
204Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote