Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
JimT

Kenda Load Star Tires

We purchased a 2014 290LHS Hideout last summer and it came with Load Star ST225/75R15D tires. Due to work requirements we only had a few short camping trips and have only about 500 miles on the tires. After reading numerous posts on here about the "China Bombs" which I have, am debating to change these tires now.

Does anyone have any experience in using these tires and have there been problems with them? Load Star does have a ST225/75R15E tire available - would this be an upgrade or just the purchase of another "Bomb"?

Any help is appreciated.

Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
therink

MY last rig came with Towmax LRD tires. I ran them for a year, then proactively upgraded to LRE Maxxis. I did it trust the way the LRD tires ran with my 12k trailer. MAXXIS are a better tire IMO. I have since sold the rig and had no problems with Maxxis for one year I ran them.
I am certain that your Load Stars fall into the China bomb class. If it were me and I wanted peace of mind, I would run them for one year, maintain 65psi, don't over load and don't run over 65mph an then upgrade to a better tire the following year (Maxxis are probably best choice for 15" IMO).
Who knows, properly maintained they may last a number of years. It more a matter of peace of mind or what is important to you.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Jim -
I am sure that almost everyone on here will tell you to get rid of your Load Star "China Bombs". Some might suggest that you should do it now while others might suggest give them a year or two then change to a non-Chinese tire like Maxxis.
I ran our Mission 'Chinese Bombs" for almost 4 years without incident but others have had issues with them earlier. It's not an easy call. I did eventually have Maxxis tires installed.
If it were me, I wouldn't give up on them just yet - they have only 500 miles on them and if you pay attention to proper inflation and speed, you should be ok for another year or two. If, however, you have become spooked by what you have read about Chinese tires and are now apprehensive about them, it might be worthwhile to consider switching them out - for "peace of mind".

Sorry, I can't offer you any information about Load Star tires - whether or not they are "good or bad". Just because they are made in China doesn't mean in itself that they are "bad" - although many would disagree.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
BobnLee

I ran my Tow Max China bombs for a year and a half put 12k on them and switched them out to Maxxis I had no problems with the tires. Kept them at 65 psi and tried to keep the speed to 65 or under. Only had one short trip with the Maxxis tires but from the research done they are one of the best tires on the market. Good luck with those tires. I searched the net for a long time before settling for the Maxxis
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
fla-gypsy

Your Blow Star tires will leave you on the side of the road at some point soon. Do yourself a favor and replace with Maxxis M8008 tires.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #6
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
We purchased a 2014 290LHS Hideout last summer and it came with Load Star ST225/75R15D tires. Due to work requirements we only had a few short camping trips and have only about 500 miles on the tires. After reading numerous posts on here about the "China Bombs" which I have, am debating to change these tires now.

Does anyone have any experience in using these tires and have there been problems with them? Load Star does have a ST225/75R15E tire available - would this be an upgrade or just the purchase of another "Bomb"?

Any help is appreciated.

Jim
Your current tires have more than sufficient load capacity for your trailer. Kenda has been building tires since 1962. Which is just as long as its Taiwan neighbor. Kenad also has tire manufacturing factories in Vietnam and China. A quick check of the plant code found on each tire will give the actual plant location. All any ST tire manufacturer will give you is 3-5 years of tire life expectancy.

I’d use them for three years before I started to worry about them.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
KYFamily

I ran load star tires on my TT for 4 years with no problems. To be honest I' ve never had an issue with any tire that came on my campers. Maybe I've just been lucky. I do keep them covered in the summer, maintain the right psi and always keep a good tire shine on them.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #8
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post

Any help is appreciated.

Jim
I'm curious what you ended up doing with these tires. I bought a Hideout 177LHS last October that have the Load star ST20575RD d rated (65psi) tires on it, They have maybe 500 miles on them, have sat on concrete since October (covered) in the cold. In 2 weeks I start the camping season. Thinking i will give them this summer before i start to look for new ones, maybe.. ALWAYS check my pressure before pulling out too..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:33 PM   #9
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCain View Post
I'm curious what you ended up doing with these tires. I bought a Hideout 177LHS last October that have the Load star ST20575RD d rated (65psi) tires on it, They have maybe 500 miles on them, have sat on concrete since October (covered) in the cold. In 2 weeks I start the camping season. Thinking i will give them this summer before i start to look for new ones, maybe.. ALWAYS check my pressure before pulling out too..

The OP hasnt been logged on since March 2015 so I don't think you'll be getting a verdict.

I can, however, offer you my opinion and the sentiments of other RVers who want to mitigate the risk of tire failures and/or ruptures at highway speeds. Buy a new, reputable set of tires that increases the load carrying capacity at least 20-25% above the OEM ratings. If your wheels will support LR-E tires, I would certainly consider that an excellent upgrade to your safety margins and reserves.

The 177LHS is a single axle trailer so there is a higher inherent risk of a catastrophic event if there were to be a rapid depressurization of either tire.

Minimize that risk. Get a higher quality tire (Carlisle, Goodyear, Maxxis). Increase the tire size and load ratings if possible. And then maintain your tires per the manufacturers recommendations.

One less thing to worry about makes for one less headache and much more camping fun. Good luck. Be safe.
busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:53 AM   #10
CrazyCain

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
The OP hasnt been logged on since March 2015 so I don't think you'll be getting a verdict.

I can, however, offer you my opinion and the sentiments of other RVers who want to mitigate the risk of tire failures and/or ruptures at highway speeds. Buy a new, reputable set of tires that increases the load carrying capacity at least 20-25% above the OEM ratings. If your wheels will support LR-E tires, I would certainly consider that an excellent upgrade to your safety margins and reserves.

The 177LHS is a single axle trailer so there is a higher inherent risk of a catastrophic event if there were to be a rapid depressurization of either tire.

Minimize that risk. Get a higher quality tire (Carlisle, Goodyear, Maxxis). Increase the tire size and load ratings if possible. And then maintain your tires per the manufacturers recommendations.

One less thing to worry about makes for one less headache and much more camping fun. Good luck. Be safe.
Thanks for the response busterbrown, i didnt think he would respond, but figured someone would. Yeah, will be getting a new set of tires in a few weeks. I do have a TireMinder TMPS so that will give me a piece of mind until can get the rig back home. Thanks again!!

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote