Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
WYO 85

need a generator

Sportsmans Warehouse has the champion 3100 inverter generator for 699 on sale online today
WYO 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
WYO 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYO 85 View Post
Sportsmans Warehouse has the champion 3100 inverter generator for 699 on sale online today
They are still on their web site Friday 3pm mountain time $699
Old 11-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
Bluewater

Smile

If you mostly camp in remote areas the Champion is fine but in any camoground you may not make too many friends with it. You just can't beat the Honda or Yamaha for quiet operation and better power output not to mention the durability.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
tileman

I myself have a Honda and a Yamaha payed about 1,200 for the Honda and 3,800 for the Yamaha. They both have over 300 hours and still run great and are quite.

Now we were at the gatorback mx track the last few days and I seen a small
champion gen and it was just as quite and my Honda or my Yamaha.

I was really inpressed to stand right next to it and still hear what was being said. How they hold up have no clue but its worth a look.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
outwest

Thank you! Been looking for another generator.

Looks like last day of online sale is Dec 1.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
labs4life

OP did state the champion wan an inverter style generator. I think this would be comparable to the honda and Yamaha lines.
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
Woodsrider

I was in the local Sportsman's Warehouse today This generator is rated at 58dBA. Not a bad deal for $699. I paid $1200 for my Powerhouse 3100 Inverter generator, and it's as darn near as quiet as my friends Honda Eu3000i at 20ft away.
I have a friend looking for a unit to power his TT, and I sent him the info on this unit. You cant go wrong @ $699 for a park friendly generator, if you can't afford the $2199 for a Honda, or $1899 for the Yamaha.

Champion: 58dBA, RV ready, Built in Wheel kit. 2 year warranty. 94.8 pounds. $699

Powerhouse: 56/65dBA (idle/full load), Built in Wheel kit, remote start, 2year warranty 129 pounds. $1299

Honda: 58 dB(A) @ rated load, 49 dB(A) @ 1/4 load. No Wheels. 134 lbs. 3yr warranty. current MSRP $2329.95

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
Woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
WYO 85

I have had the champion 2000 inverter for about 4 years now , it must have a 800 or more hours on it. Mostly camp at 8700ft in the mountains and most the time it runs 12 hrs a day and only uses about a gallon of gas a day and not much load on it.When I do run it its chained to the camper only 5 feet away and can hardly hear it. I plan on camping at lower altitudes this summer for some walleye fishing so I order the 3100 to run the air . That $699 is about a $250 savings
Old 12-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
WYO 85

Anybody take advantage of that price. Had mine ship to the store and it just came in today.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
outwest

Ours came at the end of last week, the day after it started snowing here. UPS driver called and asked to be met at a parking lot nearby rather than attempt to drive down our street.

Havent unboxed it yet to check it out, but am very appreciative of your post calling attention to the sale. Thank you again.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
airforceret

I have my harbor freight generator. It's extremely loud, but if anyone is camped close enough for it to be a problem when we're boondocking, then they are just that, camped too close!!! LOL
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

Roger -
"Boondocking" doesn't always mean that campsites or campers are so spread out that running a loud generator shouldn't be a problem for those who, by necessity, might have to camp in a nearby or close campsite next to you.

There are many campsites that do not have any hookups so, in that sense, you could call that boondocking. These campgrounds may have individual sites that are side-by-side and if the campground is crowded, it might just mean that your neightbour will be close to you. They may not have any choice but to be "too close".

While this example may not fit your definition of boondocking, there are times when the camper next door has little, if any, choice to get away from the noise of a loud generator. In this instance, I would think that it would be both courteous and considerate to restrict the running of the generator to those designated times of the campground - if it has any rules about this.

I agree that if you are out in the wilderness and there are plenty of spots well away from the noise of your loud generator to park, then they may be, as you indicated, "too close". It's all a matter of common sense, consideration, and good camping etiquette.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Festus2, Here in the "unpopulated" areas of northern Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and the Canadian areas above Lake Superior, there's "Dry Camping" which is usually done in a no hookup campground and "Boondocking" which is done on public land open for camping (not in a campground). All one needs to do around here is find a spot that is at least one mile from an "organized camping area" (campground), fill out the information card with name, address, contact information and dates of camping. Tie that to a tree or other "permanent object" at the campsite and set up camp. Usually there is no fee for this type of camping. Boondocking is what we do when we set up "deer camp". Usually, there's nobody within a couple miles of the remote area.

I think that's what airforceret is talking about with his "too loud generator"....

I agree with you, if someone in an organized camp area, one should follow the rules concerning quiet time. Out in the "boondocks" it's usually another story. If I were camped in the middle of "nowhere" and someone set up camp next to me, (sort of invading my private area), if they didn't like the generator, I'd also think they were simply "camped too close"...... Of course, if I set up camp next to them, I'd be invading their "private area" and would think of myself as "trespassing" on their camp area. There's enough space around the Great Lakes that if one wants, there's no need to see another human during your camping time..... Out in the boonies, it's only "your own ears" that the generator is going to disturb............

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:32 AM   #14
allmi01

John,

Nicely said. I have dry camped in the lower of Michigan for many years. UNtil 3 years ago, all we had was "too loud" generators but it was never an issue as we were by ourselfs with now one around for a least a half mile or so. I still have my 10k Generac and a custom built power pole at the end of 120' of #6 -3 chemical cable setup with 3 30amp rv outlets and a set of 15amp GFI's.

We don;t use it uless we have more than 2 trailers going without someone having a quiet 2k gen set.

To all, there are times it woudl be nice to have the big beast along. I never have to worry about startign the microwave and air conditioner at the same time. On the down side, 5 gals of fuel every 8 hours it hard on the wallet.

JMHO.

Mike
Old 12-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #15
jje1960

Generator

Don't forget that while the Honda is the gold share, there are other options that are much more affordable. We love our Boliy, at 74Ibs, able to start 15k aircon and Inverter.... Again, there are many options.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:15 AM   #16
Mike484

Re: need a generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
I have my harbor freight generator. It's extremely loud, but if anyone is camped close enough for it to be a problem when we're boondocking, then they are just that, camped too close!!! LOL
All of the "Contactor" grade generators are relatively cheap and very loud.
Inverters are normally quiet, expensive, and much more friendly to your electronics.

If your generator is loud, you probably have the contractors grade generator, not a good choice for campers. Camping should be friendly, everyone needs to respect other campers in the same manner in which they want others to respect them. You may some day find yourself in a position where you need help from the guy next door, if your running a loud generator all night and he couldn't sleep, it may be difficult to get any help from him.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote