Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Mustange65

tub wet wall in 2013 Passport 2650BH

I am just trying to head off a future water leak problem. Has anyone had a problem with water getting under the space between the wall panel and the tub? The plastic edge is not fastened tight against the back wall so that the edge "bows" out toward the tub. The dealer here tells be that Keystone does not fasten or glue the edge down, but no explanation why not. It seems to me that over time, water can get under the flashing and get forced up into the wall area causing mold or rot. I'm new to RVing but in a house, "bowed out" tub tile or panels spells a water leak somewhere. In my RV, this condition makes caulking the joint impossible. Any thoughts?
Mustange65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Along with many other units, the space between the wall panel and shower floor base is common. The tub base has a "lip" that extends up far enough and together with the wall panel which extends downward and over the lip, there shouldn't be any water getting up and underneath.

I have left ours uncaulked since new in '08 and have not had any apparent water damage.

I don't have any plans to fill in this rather large gap with caulking or sealant but you may want to if you are concerned.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
Mustange65

Wonder how far up that "lip" goes?
Old 09-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
hankaye

Mustange65, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustange65 View Post
Wonder how far up that "lip" goes?
Generally the lip sticks up an inch or a tad more. Enough to prevent
water from migrating up to the walls. The accepted reason for not caulking
is so the wall space behind the Shower wall can breath and won't mildew.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
Mustange65

Thanks all. I think the thing that concerns me is the "bowing" of the plastic. If it was straight and up against the wall I would feel better about it.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Mustange65

update on tub wall

Now the dealer is telling me the double stick tape behind the panel is loosing its "adhesiveness". Keep in mind, this is during the initial 90 day break-in period. So the bowing out allows water to collect behind because it is not adhered. Still waiting to hear from Keystone about since the Dealer says they don't honor anything unless Keystone does. Is this a warranty issue? Oh well, go RVing, buds!

Tags
tub, wet wall