Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2013, 04:59 AM   #1
Wilkod

Considering adding a 3rd ac to Raptor garage

Am heading to Florida in two weeks and we will have at least 5 people sleeping in the garage. I'm concerned it will be too hot back there to sleep so am considering having the dealer add a 3rd ac.

Has anyone done this and how did it turn out. They are telling me there would be an external power plug that would plug into the pedestal separately.

Thanks
Wilkod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:09 AM   #2
tileman

I would get this and just let run the vent hose out the rear vent.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_367199-37610...ers&facetInfo=
I seen one last year a guy had here in fla.
Worked great and was under 300.00 and you can move it around.
Also have seen them in a few cargo trailers.

Ron.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
mikell

If they have extra outlets in the pedistal
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
Wilkod

Thanks for quick replies. I like the idea of the portable ac - didn't know they made those. Won't fly with the wife though I'm thinking.... Too bad it's a lot cheaper than what I'm considering....
Thanks,
Old 06-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
BlindGuyNAR

Not sure if your unit is new or not, but I'd say any remaining frame and roof warranty is gone after.

I'd really want to make sure it was framed well and have a wall control since reaching the controls, if on the unit, would be a chore.

I'd worry about them making wiring look good also. I'd hate to see an extension cord hanging off the back for example.

Speaking of cords, If its a 13.5k unit a 15amp or more heavy guage cord will be required with short length.

One other consideration is since its a Raptor it likely has a genny. Will it handle it and how to plug it in with genny.

I'd buy the portable unit and leave it in the box. If the guests got hot I'd open door between coach and area. If that didn't work I'd break out the AC. If i never had to use it I'd return it in an unopened box afterwards.

Remember you're not sure if they will be hot or not. $300 saved is $300 earned or in case of the third AC I'd bet $1000-$1300 saved.
BlindGuyNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
EricLynnAllison

I have a 410LEV Raptor and I can only keep the garage cool when over 90 by keeping the door open between the kitchen. I have the bedroom air conditioner going too with the doors open and the fantastic fan in the garage on low. You can feel the cool air moving through the door.
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
pgboone

Buddy of mine is on his first trip in his new raptor since installing a 3rd a/c. It is his third trip overall since buying it in march. He had it installed last week and wired to operate off a 110 outlet. He just told me it was the best thing hes done so far since buying it. It cost him $1100 to have it done.
pgboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
Wilkod

Thanks guys. Pgboone, that was the kind of reply I was hoping to get. I like the price your buddy got ; me thinks I may be getting a bit ripped off. That said its a brand new coach and I need to stick with my dealer so no warranty issues.

Question for you; do you know if your buddy had a thermostat installed also?

Thanks all for replying