Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
chris199

It's Done - Cougar 29REV rather than 32SAB

Finalized the purchase of a Cougar X-Lite 29REV today. Unit is at another dealership. With Keystone's involvement (they really stepped up) and my dealer's (Indian Valley RV Center - Souderton PA) willingness to do what it takes to make a customer happy (they really really stepped up), my dealer worked out an arrangement to purchase the 29 REV for us. We will then purchase from our dealer. Waiting on delivery now. Am thinking we'll have it within the next 10-14 days.

Made the switch when we found out that Keystone is having issues getting the new wardrobe slide working perfectly in the 2013 32 SAB. (Thanks to Handye9 here and this forum to facilitate communications!) Have to give Keystone credit for not rushing something to market. Looks like just a delay of 4-6 weeks or so for the new floorplan. We didn't want to wait.

Also (and this is a big deal), I was always concerned the 32 SAB was borderline for my 2012 Tundra 5.7L V8 DC. The total weight of the SAB was well within (79%) of the total weight to tow with the Tundra (assuming a conservative amt of wgt for dishes, pans, etc.). The length/sway issues should have been mitigated by the Hensley but the 32 SAB is a 35' 7" unit. Anyway....would be a challenge to tow. The tongue wgt of the 29 REV was 620 (propane and battery in rear of coach). Looks like Keystone just revised the dry hitch wgt of the 29 REV to 755 lb. Assuming actual to be closer to 950 and 20% back to trailer with WDH...should be fine on the Tundra payload. Will be hitting the scales very very soon after delivery to confirm what the REAL numbers are. May need to do some load mgt to "tune" the tongue weight.

Feel better with the 32' 29REV. Should be a more manageable tow!!!

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
KanTC

Congratulations Chris & Patti... and glad that you feel better about your new choice.
Kudos to your dealer & to Keystone for working with you.

Terri, the co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
texasAUtiger

Congrats, man... Although I am new, I have been lurking for a while and following your story. Sounds like you will have an exciting summer ahead!
texasAUtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:39 AM   #4
raytravis

29REV and 5.7L Tundra

I have the same truck as you do and I am seriously looking at the 29REV. What kind of mileage do you get pulling a heavier trailer like this? I am a bit concerned about range with the 26.4 gallon tank. Is it an issue?
raytravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
Philip Saran

Milage will depend on the type of terain you travel on, will your truck have
enough power to pull any hills when traveling.

My TT is 29 ft tip to tip and weights in at about 7700 lbs loaded, and
using a diesel truck allows me plenty of power for towing.

If most of your travels are on mostly flat roads there should not be any
problem. If you do find you have a problem then you would need to
consider buying a different truck.

As for milage and the "smaller" gas tank, you might want to look into
a extra fuel tank mounted in the bed of the truck or a replacement gas
tank.
Philip Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
LiteFoot

Mpg

I have a 2012 29rev and a 2010 Silverado CrewCab 4x4 with a 5.3L. My truck also has a 26gal tank with EPA estimated 15/21mpg so our setups would be pretty close. I haven't measured exactly, but my MPG is in the 8-10mpg range on average. Which hurts! With that said, the Chevy pulls the 29rev fine and I know Chris has said his Tundra does a good job as well.

Ryan
LiteFoot is offline   Reply With Quote