Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
lenny G

50amp power cord plug

I am getting a 50amp surge protector (hardwired) and was looking at where to put it in the camper. I found a nice space to put in and it just happens to be where the wire come into the trailer. On the inside of the camper the plug that goes into the wall says on the back "pull and turn" I can not seem to get this plug loose. I would like to make some connectors for the surge protector, but I need to get this one off. Question is how hard should it be to pull loose? How much should it turn, I can only get less than 1/4 turn on it.

2011 F-150 Ecoboost
2013 Laredo 240MK
lenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
roadrider10

Surge protector

Just had my local RV storage/repair center install a hardwired 50amp Surge Guard in my 240MK. They charged $150. 1.5 hours labor. Have not used it yet but they did say that a slight hum can be heard on initial startup. Directions claim that is normal and should quiet down as it warms. Hope that is not an issue. I think they put it in the bottom of the linen closet. Have not seen the final installation. Good luck with yours.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
lenny G

That is where I will be putting mine. I have reviewed the instructions and noted how it is NOT supposed to be mounted. I am thinking of mounting it on the side wall going to the living area.

2011 F-150 Ecoboost
2013 Laredo 240MK
Old 12-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
geo

Lenny -

If you install the Surge Guard, be sure to torque the screw lugs to the specified torque. It is important. There are a couple of threads on this in the Forum, you can do a Search.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
Bob Landry

I'm not real clear on the "Pull & Turn" instruction you mentioned. Can you post photos of your existing setup? I've never seen a plug that disconnected rom the inside if that is what you are talking about. A 50A detachable shore cord should not even need a quarter turn to pull loose. Once you go counterclockwise as far as it will go, it should pull straight off.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
lenny G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I'm not real clear on the "Pull & Turn" instruction you mentioned. Can you post photos of your existing setup? I've never seen a plug that disconnected rom the inside if that is what you are talking about. A 50A detachable shore cord should not even need a quarter turn to pull loose. Once you go counterclockwise as far as it will go, it should pull straight off.

It is one of these:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...er-inlet/56827

after you remove the screws it then turns and releases exposing the wires.

2011 F-150 Ecoboost
2013 Laredo 240MK
Old 12-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
Bob Landry

Ok, that's a standard twist lock connector. The back piece you are talking about is only a cover for the terminals and is not intended to be removed after installation. The power cord removes from he front side.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote