Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2021, 05:34 AM   #1
Rick

Called It!

Sooner than I thought...

https://www.rvtravel.com/dealers-sta...upgrade-1018b/
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:11 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The "bottom line" in that article was, for me the "revealing truth"...

"One New England dealer said while sales volume at his dealership was down 20 percent year over year due to a lack of inventory, his margins were more than double those of a year ago. “Everyone is making more money than before,” he said. “We just can’t get inventory.”

They're selling trailers with a profit that's "double what it was a year ago"... Trailers "were" traditionally priced with a 30-40% markup and sold at 10-15% over dealer cost. So, now, if it's DOUBLE the markup, that puts profit margins between wholesale and retail at 60-80% and sales at 20-30% over dealer cost..

LOTS AND LOTS of room for negotiations, but, if there's another "fish on the line".....

This could be a great time to buy a new RV or it could be "the worst time to try your luck at negotiating a deal" .....

Buyer beware !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:18 AM   #3
Canonman

From what we saw at the Utah RV Show last week, MSRP is now the starting price. It will be a cold day in Hades before I will pay the prices the dealers are asking for fewer features and even worse workmanship and quality control than previous seasons.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:28 AM   #4
travelin texans

If it's just started wait a few more months once the weather gets cold & I believe the used rv market will be flooded then you'll likely find some bargains............ unfortunately at someone else's considerable loss.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:40 AM   #5
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If it's just started wait a few more months once the weather gets cold & I believe the used rv market will be flooded then you'll likely find some bargains............ unfortunately at someone else's considerable loss.
You got that right.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:06 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Reminds me of the song Fools & Their Money by Knowledge.
"Free" government money, saving money by working from home, low fuel ptices, empty roads, can't fly to go on vacation, and oh look at the idyllic ads! Shiney BIG camper setting by the lake with string lights and a cozy campfire! The "perfect" family roasting marshmallows enjoying the peace and tranquility.

Next stop the dealer. "Sure your (insert whatever brand/size truck here) can tow anything on the lot! Then the reality of the "new entertainment " hits. I need a larger truck? Why can't I just camp where I want to? Why doesn’t my a/c work when it's not plugged in? What do you mean "booked solid for a year in early January "? Why won't my HOA let me park this IN MY DRIVEWAY!? Now I have to spend money for a storage lot, but when I call they are all full! What do you mean my roof leak isn't covered under the bazillion year roof warranty? And the dealer can't fix it until when???

I witnessed a similar thing when we were boating during the dot com money the DINKS (dual income no kids) were buying boats with. Folks were buying boats faster than the supply. Everyone wanted the biggest fastest boat they could get their hands on and the dealers were eager to oblige. Slips at the marinas were jammed, and idiots were running boats with no experience or common sense. A couple of years, a market crash, and things settled down.

I think the RV industry will see an "adjustment" as well.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:39 AM   #7
gearhead

^^That market crash may have started today, but God I hope not.
Sell the RV and buy the S&P 500!! LOL
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 08:51 AM   #8
Falcon67

We thought about such, and did a little looking. Still, decided to buy new. I would say that having seen how some people "care" for their TTs, I'll pay the new premium easy. I'll know exactly what and when whatever has been in what tank.
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led